Author Topic: What Do They Look Like? Short unit and Game  (Read 799 times)

Offline Josiah

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
What Do They Look Like? Short unit and Game
« on: October 15, 2012, 03:18:59 PM »
I've exhausted all of my previous lessons from last year and have been working on some new things. Some have worked, others haven't.
I'm just finishing up a 2-3 week unit on describing people. I've never done a "unit" before, so this was new but has worked out pretty well. My lesson plans aren't pretty, but I thought I'd put what I have up here in case anyone's stuck between now and x-mas and needs something effortless and fun.

These lesson plans are being conducted at the high school level, but you can easily take these lesson plans down to low middle school for sure.

Limitations:

- Best suited for class sizes between 5-10 students. The unit can be used for any size, but the game isn't really possible with more than 10 people within an hour time slot. Unless you teach very intelligent, quick-thinking kids.
- Best suited for low-academic students. Smart kids can enjoy the game too, but you have to alter the vocabulary and expand the tasks to make it more difficult.
- Not good for shy kids, or kids who hate artistic exercises.

Advantages:

-Is extremely versatile
-Accesses the artistic centers of your little monster's brains.

Big shout out to Carlito for planting the seeds for this idea to grow. One of the activities is taken from something he'd told me about before.

Lesson:

1) First, use the sheet with the vocabulary. My classes are set up as two 45 minute periods back-to-back with a 10 minute recess between halves, so each of these sections can be used in a half period and the other periods can be using the textbook with a similar or complimentary lesson. For me, it's essential to introduce different words or terms than the similar lesson in the textbook. I also teach body parts using my doctor lesson a couple weeks before, so I tell my kids to use their previous print outs, the textbook (we use On Air Communication I; barf) to figure dey' shit out.
I draw a rough copy on the board of the body and face in the printout and we go over the words together. The print-out is set up so they can draw and make notes and add things of their own, like hair and eyelashes or eyebrows. After you've gone over all the vocab, you should have a pretty messy looking sheet :)

2) Next have them flip the page over and attempt to draw Miss White and Mr. Blue. I noticed that they're so obsessed with the tiniest details of drawing that they could spend the whole class and never even finish just one doodle. So draw on the board while they're figuring it out, give them a few minutes, then call their attention and go through all the details together, translating sentences. Tell them to finish their own drawings (they'll probably just copy yours) and then move on to the next picture. I throw in descriptions of clothing, etc. to make it more challenging. You can make your own descriptions, add more, or whatever you want.

3) After you have established a basic mastery of the terms, give the students scrap paper and play a game where you will announce one body part, such as "Big (muscular) Arms" or "long, wide legs" or "very big nose" and then after a moment have them pass their sheet in a predetermined direction. When I did this, I came in with a pre-written list of all the things I'd have them draw. You can chose to have this list pre-made, make it up on the spot, or if your kids are smart enough, have them decide what to draw by taking turns shouting something out. This is great because then you have a bunch of student-made artwork of ugly people.

4) Lastly, play the game of 20 Questions / Who Am I? I just finished making a short list of cards that I'm going to be taping to my children's heads for this class. To make it simple I only used Japanese geinojin/talent that would be known. I had my boyfriend give me the list of names. I cut out the cards and illustrated them myself to mimic the classic game Headbands (if anyone's familiar) to give the game that sort of parlor-mystery sort of feel like in Inglorious Bastards.
The characters I used (for a 5-7 student class):
1) Namie Amuro
2) Becky
3) Sanma Akashiya
4) Atsuko Maeda
5) Takuya Kimura
6) Osamu Mukai
7) Rola
8) Sugi-Chan

Pass out the handout to review the game, explain it, tape it on and then have them arrange themselves in a circle and begin!
You can increase the difficulty of the game by putting the kids in pairs and having them come up with a character of their own for their partner, or expanding the limitations of what you can write on the card.

I'm shy about sharing some of my lessons, especially since there are a lot of trained teachers here - but I've heard a lot of people liked my Where's Waldo lesson... and there's not much lesson sharing these days either, so jyaknoww.

Offline Tokyo Drifter

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
Re: What Do They Look Like? Short unit and Game
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 04:16:14 PM »
This is brill. Not sure if I'll get to use it due to level/time/book constraints, but thanks.