Author Topic: Junior High scheme of work  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
Junior High scheme of work
« on: November 01, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Hi,

Can anyone send me a SOW for their junior high classes. All three years would be great. I just need something to plan against. I taught some of my 1st years present and past continous last week and got told they wouldn't learn that until January. I didn't realy mind as they understood it and the lesson was fine but to help them with their exam revision and what not.
Do you follow the textbook or not? If you do HOW? It's awful! I can't understand what the aims and objectives of each chapter are. Which grammatical point they are trying to teach in each chapter?
Thanks
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: Junior High scheme of work
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
This needs to be something you plan with your JTEs.  I'm not positive, but I would guess that each school is on a slightly different schedule with this stuff.  If the JTEs are telling you that the grammar point you taught was not until January, then it seems logical they would know what was needed now...

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »
It also depends on which textbook you're using. There are several different ones in circulation, depending on the preferences of your BOE

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 05:00:11 PM »
I get the impression that the order changes a little book by book, however they must cover the same material by the end of the book/year.

I have one from a few years ago, but i need to find it when I get a moment.

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 01:22:37 PM »
I teach at a juku so no JTEs (whatever that stands for?). It's in Tsuru and I think the schools use sunshine. just an example as to what a sow looks like over here would be great. what kind of things do you guys teach? do you follow the textbook along with the JTE or do separate topics? the order of topics in sunshine doesn't seem very logical and doesn't seem to cover some of the main grammatical points.

Offline jesse

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
I teach at a juku so no JTEs (whatever that stands for?). It's in Tsuru and I think the schools use sunshine. just an example as to what a sow looks like over here would be great. what kind of things do you guys teach? do you follow the textbook along with the JTE or do separate topics? the order of topics in sunshine doesn't seem very logical and doesn't seem to cover some of the main grammatical points.

this is a list of the sunshine chapters, and how they introduce them.  I think some of its presented really poorly also. Its not THAT illogical, but its very lacking in intergration.   

1 random vocab and ABCs

2-1   I am ~, you are ~  , present positive <be> verbs, 1st and 2nd person.
2-2  Are you ~, Yes, I am, No I'm not
  I am not ~      Yes/No questions.  Negative present tense.  (am/are)  (am not / are not)

3-1 I like~ I play~ , present positive general verb sentences. 
3-2 Do you ~? Yes, I do/No, I don't Y/N questions present positive general verbs

4-1 What do you ~ On ~  present general verb questions, with "what" and compliment on saturday)
4-2 I have 2 brothers Plurals 
4-3 How many ~ do you.  general verb questions with "how many"  note that the textbook only uses have with this. 

5-1 This isIs that ~  present positive <be> verb "Is" and yes/no questions using it. 
5-2 Where is ~            present positive <be> verb questions with "where"  note that they dont bother to bring up "what" again.
5-3 He is~ She is ~   present positive <Be> verb, 3rd person.  In the book there are few yes/no question forms.

6-1 My sister plays~  present positive, general verb.s 3rd person.  THIS IS WHERE MY SCHOOL IS AT!
6-2 Does kenji like English?  Yes, he/she does - No, he/she doesn't
6-3 She doesn't like pets  3rd person negative.

7-1 Who is that boy <be> verb sentences and questions using "who"
7-2 I like her./ i like him.  predicate(?) object (?) pronouns.
7-3 When do you usually visit the library?  general verb question sentences with "when"

i dont understand why they dont just teach all 4-5 helping verbs as one time. 
8-1 I can ~ he can~   helping verb present positive.  only "can"
8-2 Can you ~   helping verb present positive yes/no questions
(wtf it doesnt use "5W&H" questions!?)
8-3 How do you come to school?  "How" with general verb questions.

9-1 I'm cooking now  present progressive tense.  <be> verb+ ~ing
9-2 Are you ~ing?     present progressive Y/N question. lack of negative
9-3 What are you ~ing   present progressive "what" question. 

10-1 I visited france.  positive Past tense regular.  (no irregular verbs)
10-2 Did you ~, Yes, i did/No i didn't.  past tense Y/N questions.  lack of negative.  10-3 Why do you ~, Because ~  present tense general verb questions with "why"

11-1 I had eggs and milk.  past tense irregular
11-2 Did you go to school by bike yesterday? past tense irregular Y/N questions.
past negative sentences, and questions with 5w&h, are not really in there much.  but they should come up in their workbooks, and homework.  (i hope)

I also take back the comment i made earlier.  this order is fucking stupid. 

i have vocabulary worksheets for each chapter up to 5 also, if you want to see what words they should know.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 02:58:55 PM by jesse »

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
...and here I didn't post a helpful answer because I thought he was after my Job.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »
...and here I didn't post a helpful answer because I thought he was after my Job.

Haha! I'm good thanks. When I taught in the UK we used a standard SOW within a department so I figured you guys would share stuff like that. 20 people teaching the same thing the same way but all doing the work sounds like a waste of time. We would always share the wealth and end up spending more time perfecting great resources.
Didn't realise SOWs were that precious.

BTW, thanks Jesse. That was really helpful. Is that for sunshine 1 or all of them?