Author Topic: Wanted - US half dollar coin  (Read 1226 times)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Wanted - US half dollar coin
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:15:28 AM »
Does anyone have one that I can buy from them? I thought I had one but I don't. I need it to complete a lesson I am planning. If you have a few, I would gladly buy them from you.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted - US half dollar coin
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Might be tough, I've only ever seen a few and they were always from a stash my grandfather collected and would give as treats for good behavior when i was a kid...

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:20:51 AM »
When do you need it by? If it's not until the new year I can have one brought over at Christmas but otherwise I don't think i can help...

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:23:42 AM »
Oh wow. I didn't think they were rare at all. So they are like the 2 dollar bill in that they are in circulation but not general circulation.
In that case, it is not hugely urgent and I will be happy with just one. I was ideally going to use it for a lesson on Tuesday.

Conor, I would happily take you up on that offer.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:39 AM »
I think there are more half dollars than 2 dollar bills, but, from what I have seen, they can be rare.  You could probably ask for one from a US bank, but most people would just have them laying around.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:36:02 AM »
Ok. Hopefully someone here in the nash has one that they don't mind parting with.
Oddly enough, I actually have two 2 dollar bills.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »
the 50 cent piece isn't rare at all, I think Coleman might be confusing them with the silver half dollars of Franklin or Kennedy.  Which are quite collectable and which I have a few of.  Also wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, 2 dollar bills, Susan B Anthonies, Saquechiweas , walking liberites(1).   The copper nickel Kennedys are still quite common up north (source: worked at my mom's shops all through high school)
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Sacajaweas aren't rare, are they? The subway system in NY spits them out all the time, I've got tons at home. I definitely see 50 cent pieces only rarely. They're like 2000 yen bills in Japan.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 12:33:31 PM »
the 50 cent piece isn't rare at all, I think Coleman might be confusing them with the silver half dollars of Franklin or Kennedy.  Which are quite collectable and which I have a few of.  Also wheat pennies, buffalo nickels, 2 dollar bills, Susan B Anthonies, Saquechiweas , walking liberites(1).   The copper nickel Kennedys are still quite common up north (source: worked at my mom's shops all through high school)

Maybe its regional?  But, being in the service industry, I handled cash daily for years in GA, never came across one other than my grand fathers stash...

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »
Maybe it's a regional thing.  I saw half dollars  upstate at least 3 times a week....not sure about now, though..but they are readily available at banks for 50 cents.  they have no additional value.

The silver ones, on the other hand...
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 01:44:00 PM »
It must be regional.  I've rarely seen them.  I think I spent a few as a kid, and they usually set them aside in the register because no U.S. register that I've seen has a spot for them.

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
Anyhow, Fred ---I think I have a US half dollar I could probably lend you.  It's an older one with a picture of JFK on the back.
But if you are teaching a lesson on US coins, I would just leave it out as it is probably not used enough for anyone to really care about...

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 03:27:00 PM »
Hmmm, I think I want a 50cent coin then...not a half dollar although they seem to be one and the same. Whichever is worth just it's face value.
Paul, I may take you up on that for Tuesday.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 04:17:56 PM »
There is no difference between a 50 cent piece and a half dollar. Why would there be?  :? :?

People may be confusing the silver Kennedy half-dollars, but those are limited editions of the same coin. The 50 cent piece, for the last 45 years or so, has been a Kennedy half-dollar. But they're just straight up not commonly circulated. Vending machines don't take them, slot machines don't take them, cash registers don't have a slot for them... they just don't circulate much. A lot of people tend to hoard them, too, especially since JFK is so popular. That's why you never see them. But their value isn't any higher as a result, same as a $2 bill.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2012, 04:26:51 PM »
Ok. That is what I thought was happening. I would just like a simple 50 cent piece. Due to their apparent scarcity, I don't need it in a hurry at all.