Author Topic: TV shows the students would get  (Read 1320 times)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
TV shows the students would get
« on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
It seems one class has an extra lesson this month.
I've wracked my brain for something to do with them but I can't do anything too useful (or the other students would miss out, should save that for a real lesson plan) and I already have planned to do a fun gamesy christmassy lesson with some classes (including this one) later in the month.
So...I think I'm gonna have to go for the old fall back of watch a video and then answer some questions on it.
I'm not sure though....what do I show?
 I know there are plenty of films they would like. Home Alone always goes down well and then there:s Disney and Pixar stuff....but thats longer than the lesson we have and it would be annoying for them to only see the first half.
So....I'm having to lean TV-showards......any suggestions of something that would be fun, appropriate and not too hard to understand for first year high schoolers?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Re: TV shows the students would get
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »
not too hard to understand for first year high schoolers?

Out of curiosity, are you at a fairly high-level academic high school? If not, I can't think of ANY shows that aren't too difficult for first years.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
Wallace and Gromit.
We managed to get through two of them in one 50 minute lesson.

Now, I would have kept showing them Wallace and Gromit even if they don't enjoy it, but they fucking LOVED it. So that was a huge bonus.
They were laughing so hard and literally cheering at the train chase scene last year - I was so pleased they enjoyed it!
We had one class where nobody made a sound all throughout "The Wrong Trousers." I thought they hated it and I as so embarrassed! But then at one point there's a bit that makes you jump (when the penguin drops the diamond and it almost hits the security sensor) and one girl in my class gasped and jumped out of her chair in surprise. And that sort of broke the silence and then everyone was laughing and crying and cheering the rest of the way throught he film. I genuinely think they were so involved in the movie they hadn't been talking or making a sound.

Mr. Bean.
I hate it, but my JTE has a massive hard on for Mr. Bean. And I can't deny that the students love it. We watched it recently, and one girl was trying SO HARD not to cry with laughter that it was just hilarious. She did't want to embarass herself by crying at something so silly, but she was having real trouble keeping it inside, and it was so funny watching her.
If you canget your hands on the Christmas special, or the "best of Mr. Bean", those'll be really good for class.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
Glee

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »
show them 45 minutes of ELF.  The whole department store scenes had them roaring.  I was able to cut it to fit the entire movie into the one class.

(Was able to do the same thing with Paranormal Activity for Halloween, shove them in the darkest room in the school and then took photos for their reactions and posted that in the hall.  Good times) 
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
Mr. Bean.
I hate it, but my JTE has a massive hard on for Mr. Bean. And I can't deny that the students love it. We watched it recently, and one girl was trying SO HARD not to cry with laughter that it was just hilarious. She did't want to embarass herself by crying at something so silly, but she was having real trouble keeping it inside, and it was so funny watching her.
If you canget your hands on the Christmas special, or the "best of Mr. Bean", those'll be really good for class.

I absolutely love Mr. Bean (sorry!), so don't get me wrong, but how does this even make sense for an English class? Bean's whole schtick is that he doesn't speak at all. They showed Mr. Bean on all of the buses in Cambodia precisely because you didn't need to know any English for it.

Showing Wallace and Gromit sounds fantastic. And also makes me want to watch some...

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
My school is a high level academic one yeah but for practical English this doesn't mean too much. Some students are awesome and conversant, many though...well like me with French when I was 16.

Yeah, Mr Bean is great and I guess it has the English culture angle but not so much speaking. Thoughhhhhh......At Halloween I showed one of the simpsons halloween shorts- the idea was 95% of the students wouldn't understand a thing  that was being said but they should watch what was happening and then the English learning comes in with answering questions on what happened.

Glee makes me want to die. Some students would probally like it but...damn it I'm selfish.

Elf is awesome too....though it being left unfinished is not something I want to do.

I do very much like the Wallace and Gromit idea....I know a few Japanese friends who have seen it rather liked it too. Think I'll go with the Wrong Trousers. Now its just a case of filling up the remaining 15 mins or so of class after they:ve watched the video and answered the questions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 10:51:12 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Iggy

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:11 AM »
how does this even make sense for an English class? Bean's whole schtick is that he doesn't speak at all.

You don't have to tell me twice! I gently told my JTE that maybe Mr. Bean wasn't the best option for an English language class, but he doesn't care. He has a relationship with that show.

I do very much like the Wallace and Gromit idea....I know a few Japanese friends who have seen it rather liked it too. Think I'll go with the Wrong Trousers. Now its just a case of filling up the remaining 15 mins or so of class after they:ve watched the video and answered the questions.
We watched "The Wrong Trousers", and then answered questions. With the remaining time, we watched Wallace and Gromit's "A Grand Day Out", because that one's really short. So if you can get your hands on a DVD of all three (or four now, I suppose) then you might be okay.

If not, don't just get the kids to answer questions. When we did our Mr. Bean lesson recently, I made them get into groups and pick a scene, adn then they had to describe itin two or three sentences. This took them FOREVER because they suck at using English to describe things and tell stories.
So we spent some time looking at sentence structures they can use to describe the scenes, they were looking in the dictionary to translate vocab, and then we went around and listened to the sumamry of each scene.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Perhaps they choose it because he doesn't speak at all!  I know that Wallace and Gromit or with Elf, we used the subtitles anyway for the holiday lessons, perhaps your co-workers just want the kids to have last lesson fun... :wink:
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:17 PM »
Mr. Bean.

I absolutely love Mr. Bean (sorry!), so don't get me wrong, but how does this even make sense for an English class? Bean's whole schtick is that he doesn't speak at all. They showed Mr. Bean on all of the buses in Cambodia precisely because you didn't need to know any English for it.

Showing Wallace and Gromit sounds fantastic. And also makes me want to watch some...

I used to do lessons with Mr. Bean. I also love the show (not sorry!).

While there is no talking in the show, the reality is that most of my classes would have required subtitles if there had been so it made little or no difference. The test for them was in the questions which they had to understand and answer.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.