Author Topic: Leaving the country for a holiday  (Read 1599 times)

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
Leaving the country for a holiday
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »
So I'm off to Seoul for Christmas.
I was told a while back that thanks to the Resident Card system I don't need to file for any re-entry permits or anything before I leave. All I need to do is display my card when I depart and show it again when I return.

Anyone know if there is anything special I do need to do before I leave or when I'm in the airport?

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
Re: Leaving the country for a holiday
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
Nope.  It's super easy now.  Just depart and enjoy.  They make you fill out some card at immigration, but I'm pretty sure it's the same as before.

Offline Mr. Cartmanez

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Linguo *is* dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
Does this apply if you don't have one of them new fangled residents cards?

(ie: I got mine in April)
Too much of a good thing ain't so good.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »
...I also don't understand, my card is 2 years old, I won't need to renew it for another 5 years or so... :/  can I still exit the country without a re-entry permit?
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:44 AM »
Yea.  You don't need to get anything new.  I used my card from 2.5 years ago and went to Guam without any problems this summer.  You don't need to do anything special.

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 12:43:02 PM »
Sounds good! Cheers :D

Offline Mr. Cartmanez

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Linguo *is* dead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:50:12 PM »
Schweeeet.
Too much of a good thing ain't so good.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »
On a related note, who knows a good place to leave a car while I go on vacation? For daytrips there's a nearby unmanned station with free parking that I use... but it only holds like 5 cars and I'm not so keen on leaving my car there for 10-12 days.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:28:52 PM »
The best you can do is find a friend to look after your car. I would not leave your car at the station for that long as parking fines are 15,000 yen.. god only knows how much towing fees etc are.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:31:13 PM »
Maybe ask your school to leave it there if you don't have a space to use?
B

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
On a related note, who knows a good place to leave a car while I go on vacation? For daytrips there's a nearby unmanned station with free parking that I use... but it only holds like 5 cars and I'm not so keen on leaving my car there for 10-12 days.

leave it at home...   :-o :-o  take a cab to your closest train station and then use that to get where you need to go instead of the car???  :|

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:44:55 PM »
Maybe ask your school to leave it there if you don't have a space to use?

Well, I already live on campus (literally - teacher's housing) but the nearest train station is over half an hour away.

Hmm, I imagine I could expect to pay almost 1.5man at a long term parking garage anyways, haha.  You really think they'd tow from an lot without any posted restrictions?  Obviously it's not my first option.  You bring up a good point, though, fred; I'll send a message out to the local ALTs and see if anyone has a free spot or a cool school.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »

leave it at home...   :-o :-o  take a cab to your closest train station and then use that to get where you need to go instead of the car???  :|

Haha, cabs actually have increased fares when they enter my village because it's all mountain roads.  I could ask a teacher to help me make a cab reservation, but I'd like to avoid the extra expense.  Good idea, though, and I might actually end up trying it.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
Yep, I think everyone forgets that you, Conor and Ben have to driiiiiive to get anywhere. So a taxi is never an option.

As for the train station, you could risk it but I would say after 2 or 3 days, you would have a note on your car and then after a week, you risk getting it towed. That is not a fact, but more an educated guess.
You could ask your BOE if you can park at the Minobu BOE or the Shimobe BOE.
I think friends are the best option. I would offer up my place, but you know my situation.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
Yeah, the Minobu ALTs are all getting ready for an orientation this weekend but I'll ask them when things settle down.  Thanks guys!

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 04:23:18 PM »
Once I took a bus to Shinjuku from the highway bus station and left my car there for 2+ weeks.  I had my JTE write a note in Japanese explaining why I left my car in the parking lot for that long.  I encountered no problems.

I have also left my car for weeks at a time at an unmanned station and while it is not recommended, I noticed plenty of Japanese people who do it.  I didn't leave a note at the unmanned station though i probably should have.  If you can't figure out another option, just ask someone to write a note and leave it on the dashboard of your car.  In the inaka especially, I imagine this situation comes up a lot.  I also have to drive about 40 minutes to the nearest station and when everyone else is also going on vacation, it's a hard situation to.  If you live someone more populated like Kofu, it's not a wise idea AT ALL but if you live in Hayakawa, Minobu or even Hokuto, i think it can easily be avoided with a short note.

Offline devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »
I drove to the airport a couple of times and left my car in the Narita Hilton car park. It costs 400 a day to park there. It's definitely worth it for the convenience, and if there are at least 2 of you, financially it should work out about the same as taking buses.