Author Topic: Eye Issues (Glasses and Contacts)  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Eye Issues (Glasses and Contacts)
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
Hi! Your friendly neighbourhood forum stalker here.

So, I'm pretty sure I've randomly asked people about this in this past, but the time for action has arrived. Just on my last day of winter vac, I dropped my glasses on the floor aaaand the lens fell out.  8-) Fortunately I managed to do a temporary fixing job on it, and they seem pretty sturdy for now. However, I feel my time with this pair is limited - and I only have one pair of my contacts with me. I'm pretty much blind without them.

That being the case - any suggestions on a good optometrist around here? I'm in Fujiyoshida, but I'm open to any suggestions.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Eye Issues (Glasses and Contacts)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:08 AM »
Nick walked into a glasses store (I think Jins, but pretty much any will do), got a free eye exam on the spot and glasses with lenses and case included for about 10,000 yen. 
I've heard of people going to the optometrist but it seems like an unecessary step.
I don't know where the shops are around Fujiyoshida but I'm sure you have a  few around

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 09:41:30 AM »
That sounds...like a dream. I didn't think it would be that hassle free. I'll take a look around!
Do you think they'd be open on a weekend? Somehow places in Japan have strange operating hours. I'll probably be heading into Kofu this weekend or the next anyway - better chances there I assume.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 10:40:24 AM »
I use a guy in kofu who may be a little pricey. However, I have very bad eyes and weird stigmatisms and he is very attentive to my needs. As I am picky about people and he is pricey, I would say there is probably someone in Fujiyoshida who could do the job. Most of these places do things with machines now which is usually fine unless you are like me.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:39 AM »
Regular glasses shops are open on weekends.  They even have a Jins in the Aeon Mall, so it should be pretty easy.  Obviously, you might need some Japanese as they are unlikely to speak English.  Nick just took his Japanese friend and it went pretty smoothly.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Yea, I highly recommend JINS in Aeon.  Me and my son are constantly breaking my wife's glasses.  I stepped on a pair and I think he snapped a couple, and I definitely like having JINS for cheap glasses.  They will also keep your prescription on file so if you need to get another pair later than they can just refer to that.  The eye check was free (if I remember correctly) and you can get some frames/lenses for less than 5000 yen when they are on sale.  I used to work at Lensecrafters in the US, so I can tell you the frames are definitely on the cheapo/not-amazing side, but still, cheap is cheap.

Offline devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 06:30:10 PM »
Mig used to get glasses and contacts quite regularly in the Yosh. I'll ask him to reply here and give you the details when he has a minute.

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:48 PM »
Any of the glasses shops in town should be able to do your glasses. Contacts are a little trickier, as not all of the shops are set up to do the exam.  I go to Megane Ichiba over on the bypass (it's right next to Cainz Home)... their clinic is open on Saturday and Sunday afternoons (they're not open during the week)  and they'll do the contact exam and fitting for around 2000 yen.  Just bring what you're currently wearing with you and they should hopefully be able to fit you with something similar. 
 Once you've got the exam done, you can order from the store any time.... your prescription is good for one year.. at which point you'll need to get another exam.  I'd take a Japanese speaker a long with you, as there aren't any English speakers in the clinic or the store....

If you want to go the optometrist route (although it's not necessary),  the doc at Saito Ganka near my place is super friendly, although doesn't speak a lot of English.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 12:00:18 AM by shneen »

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
I was going to post what I used to do on here but there seems to be plenty of info there to keep you going.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 09:56:23 AM »
I appreciate it guys!
Now there's NO excuse for me to go blind   8-) thanks