Author Topic: Learning to drive in Yamanashi  (Read 1763 times)

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
Learning to drive in Yamanashi
« on: January 15, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »
Hey, is there a way I can get a provisional licence here and then learn to drive with a friend or whatever? Do I have to pay an obscene amount of money? I'm not interested in getting a full licence, or a car - just learning.

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: Learning to drive in Yamanashi
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 03:28:06 PM »
You can take lessons on the course for 5000 and hour, but as far as getting on the road, you must have a full license... I think...

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:27:15 PM »
Hey, is there a way I can get a provisional licence here and then learn to drive with a friend or whatever? Do I have to pay an obscene amount of money? I'm not interested in getting a full licence, or a car - just learning.

Ferris said she was doing it without going through the normal system, so I would advise talking to her.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:23:26 AM »
Yikes, lessons in Ireland cost half that. I'll ask Kelly for clearer info so, cheers.

The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:56:56 PM »
Yikes, lessons in Ireland cost half that. I'll ask Kelly for clearer info so, cheers.

Doing lessons that way (if you are able to) works out a hell of a lot cheaper than going through the system like I did. That set me back 300,000...
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:56 AM »
Yeah that's why I want to avoid the full licence. 5000 a class is much better for me, but I'd rather pay half that price to a friend here who can communicate well in English.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
well, I'm not sure but you are able to go onto the driving course and practice for an hourly rate. There may be other cars practicing as well but that might be the best possibility to practice for cheap...with a friend with a car of course!(like me!) :wink:
B

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 10:10:44 AM »
well, I'm not sure but you are able to go onto the driving course and practice for an hourly rate. There may be other cars practicing as well but that might be the best possibility to practice for cheap...with a friend with a car of course!(like me!) :wink:

And if B's busy you can call me...  :-D

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »
Hehe, excellent. It's likely a while away, as I need to sort out getting a provisional licence and I don't want to start for a good while. I'll look into it. 

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 11:41:19 PM »
If i started riding an expired yellow scooter plate.  Will the police know? I mean I barely see police officers where I live and not to mention NEVER seen a driver get a ticket in Minami Alps.

This has terrible idea written all over it. While I don't drive here and I have no idea as to what the fine would be, I'm willing to bet that if you caught, it would be far worse financially then just getting a Japanese License (especially if you already have a U.S. license and then you just need to practice the course) and having a legally registered scooter. Also, think about if you have to explain to your co-workers that you got busted for illegally operating a motor vehicle.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 12:49:09 AM »
He's not talking about driving without a license, he's talking about having expired tags. That shit happens all the time, both here and in the states, and they're not going to deport him over it or anything so serious, you can drop the doom and gloom Castle.

Jack, I personally think it's a dumb idea because I'd rather not get caught doing it myself but only you know a)what the cops are like in your area and b) how much of a fine you're willing to risk. Without going into detail since this is a public part of the forum, some YETIs have ended up doing similar things and never been caught for it. But do keep in mind that it's not just a matter of avoiding being pulled over; if you get into an accident at any point, they're going to check up your info and you'll get in trouble for that for certain. Claiming gaijin ignorance won't get you out of it, this isn't like losing your ticket on a train or something.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
I dont think I will be using it daily.  Which is why im even thinking of considering it in the first place.  And Im not really a crazy side to side tricked out super speedy driver on the bike.  I think I will be fine.

Anyways lets make this the last of this topic as I was told to delete it due to privacy concerns etc.  So if an admin or somethin can delete the history and just forward the replies in private messages or something.

I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 08:51:25 AM »
Jack, you can do all this by yourself.

Ctrl+C and copy whatever you want into a PM yourself, ask the others if they will delete their messages and then delete your own.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
Deleted.  Now if the others can delete theirs as i was being quoted  ^-^
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 11:12:17 AM »
Cool and I'll clean up behind you guys if I need to.