Author Topic: 2013 Sapporo Snow Festival  (Read 4083 times)

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
2013 Sapporo Snow Festival
« on: January 22, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »
So this years Festival starts on February 4th. 
Looking to see some ''cool'' ice sculptures along with trying the local cuisine in Sapporo.

Information can be found here.  http://www.snowfes.com/english/

I will be there on the 5th to the 8th.  And then I will be in Tokyo from 8th to the 10/11th. 

I spoke with my school's KNT agent and for the flight and hotels including a bus from Kofu to Haneda cost me a 48900 yen.   Super cheap.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Sapporo Snow Festival
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:54 PM »
The snow festival is always a good time and probably the #1 reason for tourists to visit Sapporo. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6706.html also has a listing for the event. I do recommend anyone who goes to stop in Otaru as the snow candle festival is also on around the same time (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6706.html). It also has a few beer/Genghis Khan restaurants (Kirin, Asahi, Sapporo) that I'd recommend for after to get warmed up and to have a good time.

That said, most of the festival can probably be done in one day unless you really love looking at snow/ice sculptures. If there is anyone else heading up and loves skiing/snowboarding in different places, one of the larger resorts in Japan (Hirafu) is located in the small town of Niseko and only takes an hour by train from Sapporo. The snow looks like it never ends up there (being Hokkaido and all) and guaranteed to have great powder at that time of year. Either way, I hope whoever heads up next month has a great time  :-)

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 08:48:48 PM »
Wish I could go, doesn't land during any holidays though :(
毒食らわば皿まで

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 09:46:04 PM »
Wish I could go, doesn't land during any holidays though :(

The long weekend in February is a holiday and during the snow festival, I believe. If you had asked far in advance, they wouldn't let you use one day's nenkyuu for that Friday?

Bit late to plan now though.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:18:58 PM »
Looking forward to eating the local miso soup ramen.  The king crab.  The Genghis Khan meal.  Along trying to take some nice pictures.   My first solo vacation in Japan! So excited!!
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 01:28:03 PM »
Go for the butter ramen!! It's fantastic.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 01:32:42 PM »
If you have time...http://www.letao.jp/global/en/stores.html. Their fresh chocolate is amazing

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:34 AM »
I am looking for Omiyage ideas. 

I only teach in one school.

So I was wondering if I HAVE to get the school an Omiyage from the festival.    My head teacher really hooked me up with the JTB agent going out of his way to scold the agent for not helping me sooner than he wanted. 

I am hoping to get him a 20 dollar rice wine which is a specialty there and maybe some chocolate/candy  for the school?

Any other cheap alternative is appreciated. :|

Marc!

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • The Marc of a good time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 01:22:10 PM »
白い恋人 (Shiroi Koibito) are thin butter cookies sandwiched around a white chocolate filling (and are amazing), and ROYCE chocolates are really good quality as well. Both are from Hokkaido and would make great omiyage I think.

I would recommend bringing omiyage to your school. The 白い恋人 are individually wrapped too, so they're easy to distribute and teachers can eat them whenever they want.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 01:29:08 PM »
Pretty much what Marc said.
You should get an Omiyage for everyone in the school as it is a cultural thing here.
Although I cringe at the money and space in my bag that Omiyage takes up, I strongly believe that not bringing any is a huge faux-pas in terms of staffroom politics.
Marc's suggestions are pretty spot on.

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 01:41:55 PM »
I'm going to third the suggestions made by Marc. Even if they say they don't expect you to get them anything, do it anyways. I always bring Omiyage if I take time off from work to go some place. That said, because it's a cultural thing, it's easy enough to find and you can find things for under 2000 yen.

Also the item Marc suggests, though I've never had it, sounds like a great choice.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »
I think if they know you're going to Sapporo, the shiroi koibito are almost a must. The only time I've ever had a teacher straight up demand omiyage from me (it was in jest... I think) was when I told a HRT that I was going to the Yuki Matsuri and his eyes lit up and he was like "OHH! BURING... WHITE-O... etooooo... KOIBITO... SHIROI KOIBITO OMIYAGE, PUREASE!" All the teachers went nuts for it, I've never seen omiyage disappear as fast as that stuff did.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
白い恋人, Royce, or anything buttery make for decent omiyage. If you want specialty items, look around the Sapporo beer factory mall shops, otherwise pick everything up at Chitose airport. You can do your shopping at Sapporo Station, but the prices at the airport are the same and you don't have to carry everything around until you go home.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 09:24:09 AM by WadeB »

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
白い恋人 (Shiroi Koibito) are thin butter cookies sandwiched around a white chocolate filling (and are amazing), and ROYCE chocolates are really good quality as well. Both are from Hokkaido and would make great omiyage I think.

I would recommend bringing omiyage to your school. The 白い恋人 are individually wrapped too, so they're easy to distribute and teachers can eat them whenever they want.

How much are these fabled cookies. 

Marc!

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • The Marc of a good time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »
I just pulled up the first J site I found listing prices, and it looks like they're priced as follows:

9-pack - 560円
12-pack - 740円
18-pack - 1,110円
24-pack - 1,480円

I'm sure the prices may also vary depending on the store though.

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
ASDFAAKSLK!! Jealousy and scorn!!!!

:cry:

Can't believe that I missed the chance to plan for this. I've been wanting to go to the festival since before I arrived in Japan. Wheeere was my head. Right Jack, next year I'll be planning my solo trip.

(I can haz omiyage? plz? Or just facebook photos. Don't dash a girl's dream here.)

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
I just pulled up the first J site I found listing prices, and it looks like they're priced as follows:

9-pack - 560円
12-pack - 740円
18-pack - 1,110円
24-pack - 1,480円

Id hug you tightly mark but the last time that happened I got too excited  oops  :oops:

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 12:47:33 PM »
Can't believe that I missed the chance to plan for this. I've been wanting to go to the festival since before I arrived in Japan. Wheeere was my head. Right Jack, next year I'll be planning my solo trip.

It doesn't have to be a solo trip ;)

Read: I want to go, too. Let's go together, please! ;o;

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »

Aww, how can I say no to you? You get me with that puppy face EVERY TIME.

Read: I love it when they beg.  :evil:

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2013, 01:54:28 PM »

Aww, how can I say no to you? You get me with that puppy face EVERY TIME.

Read: I love it when they beg.  :evil:

Me too, me too!! I just wish it could be in March instead of February. I'm so busy at school this month with final projects. >.<
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2013, 10:23:10 PM »

9-pack - 560円
12-pack - 740円
18-pack - 1,110円
24-pack - 1,480円

Id hug you tightly mark but the last time that happened I got too excited  oops  :oops:

Just wanna mention for anyone who just loves the cookies or wants to buy some for their friend or koibito, you can buy them at a variety of places not in Hokkaido.  They are all over the place in Narita Airport and SOMETIMES can be found in omiyage places scattered about on the highway.  As far as I can tell, they are a hokkaido specialty but the ones sold in other places seem identical to me and share the same name.  I've also seen them in places to get omiyage in Tokyo.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
So post Hokkaido

I want to go to asakusa temple, odaiba for the Gundam,  Yokohama  and maybe Ueno zoo.

Can somebody help me figure out which to go first in order of closest city to the farthest.

Any help is appreciated.

P.s.  I promise to post lots of pictures on fb!!!  I'm in haneda now waiting to board

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 12:14:36 PM »
So post Hokkaido

I want to go to asakusa temple, odaiba for the Gundam,  Yokohama  and maybe Ueno zoo.

Can somebody help me figure out which to go first in order of closest city to the farthest.

Any help is appreciated.

P.s.  I promise to post lots of pictures on fb!!!  I'm in haneda now waiting to board

Are you saying you want to know which is the closest to Yamanashi and which is the farthest?

There's this really neat invention that they've got here in Japan. It can display various locations, both where they are in Japan and where they are relative to each other, and some will even have calibrations to determine the exact distances between points. It's fantastic, you really ought to give it a look. It's called a 地図 in Japanese. In English, the closest approximation is a "map". It's amazing what they come out with these days. Technology, eh?

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 08:49:09 PM »
So post Hokkaido

Any help is appreciated.

Well, all are quite far from Shinjuku.  It doesn't really matter which order you go in, honestly.

Shinjuku->Sobuline to Asakusa bashi-> Asakusa subway line to Asakusa (25min ish)

Then, Asakusa-->Ginza line to Ueno  (5min)

Ueno-->Yamanote line to Osaki-->Rinkai line to Tokyo Teleport (35minish)

Tokyo Teleport-->Rinkai line to Osaki-->Tokaido/Yokosuka or Shonan-shinjuku line to Yokohama (35min ish).

You should do Asakusa and Ueno around the same time as they are super close but as for which to go to Yokohama or Odaiba first it doesn't really matter.  The Gundam is in the new Diver City mall  (also written as Daiba City).  Always crowded on weekends but it's not so bad.  You can see the gundam for free but there is some observatory with museum or some crap you can pay for.  I just went downstairs to see it from below, not sure if the ticket is worth it or not as I have no idea what else is included in that (its 1000yen and you have to reserve in advance).  There is also kind of a mini Maid Cafe in the mall there called Maid Dreamin if you are into that kind of thing.

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2013, 08:45:52 AM »
You can see the gundam for free but there is some observatory with museum or some crap you can pay for.  I just went downstairs to see it from below, not sure if the ticket is worth it or not as I have no idea what else is included in that (its 1000yen and you have to reserve in advance).

Parts of the Gundam Museum are free: the gunpla showcase and the gift shop are accessible without paying for the inside tour. I haven't gone yet because when I was there I was with a friend who wasn't a giant gundam freak like me and 1000 yen wasn't worth it to her. When Sarah says 'reserve in advanced' you can go right up to the counter and pay the day of, but the tour/museum walkthroughs start at intervals throughout the day. It was VERY busy when I was there but there were still spaces open for every showing/walkthrough. ALSO the Cafe at Odaiba is a gift shop with a coffee counter, and kind of lame compared to the one in Akihabara that has lots of food, better snacks, and alcoholic drinks as well. At Odaiba however, a few times throughout the day the Gundam will start moving while music and famous lines are played in the background. If you can go during a time that they do this it will enhance the experience 10 fold.

Also Sarah...I resent the 'some crap' remark. We will have to talk about this negative opinion of yours. We may not be able to be friends anymore.

Additionally I would suggest only doing a few of those. Yokohama should be a day by itself because just getting there takes a while from Tokyo. You could potentially do Ueno zoo, Asakusa and Odaiba in one day, but I'd probably pick between those and Yokohama.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:33:03 PM by Croninokehige »
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
You can see the gundam for free but there is some observatory with museum or some crap you can pay for.  I just went downstairs to see it from below, not sure if the ticket is worth it or not as I have no idea what else is included in that (its 1000yen and you have to reserve in advance).

Parts of the Gundam Museum are free: the gunpla showcase and the gift shop are accessible without paying for the inside tour. I haven't gone yet because when I was there I was with a friend who wasn't a giant gundam freak like me and 1000 yen wasn't worth it to her. When Sarah says 'reserve in advanced' you can go right up to the counter and pay the day of, but the tour/museum walkthroughs start at intervals throughout the day. It was VERY busy when I was there but there were still spaces open for every showing/walkthrough. ALSO the Cafe at Odaiba is a gift shop with a coffee counter, and kind of lame compared to the one in Akihabara that has lots of food, better snacks, and alcoholic drinks as well. At Odaiba however, a few times throughout the day the Gundam will start moving while music and famous lines are played in the background. If you can go during a time that they do this it will enhance the experience 10 fold.

Also Sarah...I resent the 'some crap' remark. We will have to talk about this negative opinion of yours. We may not be able to be friends anymore.

Additionally I would suggest only doing a few of those. Yokohama should be a day by itself because just getting there takes a while from Tokyo. You could potentially do Ueno zoo, Asakusa and Odaiba in one day, but I'd probably pick between those and Yokohama.

Bahaha, yeah I am just not a gundam fangirl.  Thus, the "some crap".
And yet I have seen the big  gundam in three different locations now.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:33:21 PM by Croninokehige »

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
lol for a second I was like 'Gee kaaarta, learn to use quotes'

Then I realized it was my fault.  :roll:
ooooops?

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 01:33:43 PM »
edited because it made my brain itch

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 01:39:56 PM »
edited because it made my brain itch

Thank you so much, you wonderful man! Your kindness and generosity are outdone only by your intelligence, good looks and skill with puns and other wordplay. You are an example to the rest of us.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 04:07:43 PM by Croninokehige »

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 01:48:03 PM »

All of that time spent up north and not one mention about Sapporo's #1 most famous tourist district, Susukino? For shame! (That or maybe I'm more of a perv than I thought  :?)