Author Topic: 2013 people - Welcome to Yamanashi  (Read 7998 times)

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
2013 people - Welcome to Yamanashi
« on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:14 AM »
Hey! If you are new to the forum/Yamanashi for 2013, fell free to introduce yourself here.
Should you have any questions, queries or worries you have are more than welcome to ask about them here.
We are a helpful bunch and we'll do our best to help you out.

Alli

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • FaceBook me, yo!
Re: 2013 people - Welcome to Yamanashi
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 05:02:06 PM »
Well, I guess I'll get the ball rolling! I can't be the only newbie coming in this year, right?! I mean it's still early on, but if so...please be kind haha

My name is Allison, but please, call me Alli.  :-D I'm from the Midwest, a place called Springfield, Illinois. I've accepted a job with Bambi Bilingual Kindergarten, which I am super pumped about! From what I can gather, it seems like a great place to work. Both of my predecessors have already e-mailed me, welcomed me to the BBK family, and helped me out with some of my pre-arrival concerns...so far so great! I also wanna thank those who put together the welcome file for this forum; it's an amazing help and really put me at ease. Knowing you aren't alone in a new place is always comforting and I hope that I'll make some good friends while I'm here.

I'll be arriving March 2nd, which is approaching a lot faster than I had anticipated...eep! Packing and all that jazz seems to be going smoothly for now, but any other tips or tricks you guys might have would be GREATLY appreciated!  ^-^

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 09:50:15 PM »
Hey Alli,
Welcome to Yamanashi. I guess you will be here in about 2 weeks time. From what I know of bambi, it is a really nice place to work and I bet the kids are super cute. I know that both of your predecessors loved it.

Feel free to ask us specific questions that you need answering and we'll help you out.

catglen

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »
Hello everyone! My name is Catherine and I am a new JET in Yamanashi-ken (i dont have the specific city yet). I'm 24 years old and form South Carolina. ! Im excited to hike and ski and be in Yamanashi :)

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 12:48:37 PM »
Welcome Catherine, I'm from GA.  It will be nice to have SC represented. 

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »
Nice. We have plenty of hiking here in Yamanashi and skiing both in the north of Yamanashi and the prefectures to our north.
As you have no specific city, you will more than likely be in the High school division.

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »
Hello everyone! My name is Andy Schneider and I'm going to be in Yamanashi with the JET program starting in August. I can't find any information about Yamanashi in any travel guide. Is it close to the Fuji prefecture? I live in a place that has 4 seasons in America, does Yamanashi also have 4 seasons? Anyway, I'm so excited to finally get my placement in Yamanashi and can't wait to start my new job!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
Congratulations!

Have you ever been to Japan before? It is very very unique. It can be quite different to America.

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 10:40:15 AM »
I haven't even left my house before!  I did get Japanese food delivered once though.  I was home schooled.  My best and only friends were my parents.  Well that's not totally true because I have all my friends on WOW.  I took all of my college courses online at a school normally designed for bar tending and trucking correspondence.  I guess first I'll have to go outside.  What's that like Fred?  Is it everything they promise in the movies??

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:52:53 AM »
The noobs are already going to be confused and inquisitive enough aren't they?  This thread wont help much...

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
The noobs are already going to be confused and inquisitive enough aren't they?  This thread wont help much...

Fred told me to do it :)  (well the posting part, not the joking part) 

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »
No, No, post away... I'm just saying that this will be the thread that every noob jumps on and reads thru 5 times a day, every day, before they get on the flight over... They'll wonder about Fuji Prefecture and how a fellow new JET has 120+ posts... Both easily cleared up, and neither harmful in any way, but confusing.

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 11:26:17 AM »
No, No, post away... I'm just saying that this will be the thread that every noob jumps on and reads thru 5 times a day, every day, before they get on the flight over... They'll wonder about Fuji Prefecture and how a fellow new JET has 120+ posts... Both easily cleared up, and neither harmful in any way, but confusing.

So, to clear things up.  I have been living in Japan for almost a year and came over when my wife was accepted into the JET program last year.  I reapplied in October/November and found out today that I am placed in the area I already live in, hence the most commonly asked question jokes.  I am more laughing at myself because when I moved here I didn't know anything about Yamanashi, only that it had hiking and Mt. Fuji.  That being said, I LOVE it here and wouldn't have wanted to live anywhere else in Japan.  If I can help any of the new folks with questions, I would be more than happy to.  I won't be on the plane with you, but I will see those in group A in Tokyo!!

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:31:38 AM »
Congrats on the placement Andy...

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 02:20:07 PM »
WELCOME TO YAMANASHi!

Congrats on the gigs you two! Andy I think we've met before at the last BBQ in Hokuto!

Catherine my family just got a house in SC in Lake Keowee...so I'll be a summer Corolianian(if that's what you call them) from time to time. I'm a big hiker and skier(well snowboard...working on the skiing) too and Yamanashi is great for both of those!!!  ^-^
B

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:26:45 PM »
I feel left out, there was a BBQ in Hokuto and I didn't know about it?

Lots of newbies pouring in through facebook and Jet programme forums so many of them are headed their way to the YETI FB, AJET Blocks and eventually the forum here very soon.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 02:43:20 PM by karta »

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 02:44:46 PM »
I'm also in contact with my successor and she is also from South Carolina!
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 03:32:57 PM »
Nice, looks like things will get rolling this week then with placements notifications.  Mr. PA, any word on when HS ALTs will get contact information?

nekori7

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
Hello! My name is Katrina, and I'm a new JET for 2013-2014 in Yamanashi-ken! I've been placed in Doushi-mura.

I lived in Tsuru-shi for about six months (7/2012 - 12/2012) and absolutely loved it, so it's great to be coming back to a place I'm semi-familiar with! I think I saw the Tsuru JET around town a few times, but I never said hello...sorry!

A little about me; I'm 21 and just graduated college with degrees in Japanese and Social Psychology. I've been translating manga online for about five years now and absolutely love it; in fact, I'm planning on becoming a professional translator in the future! I'll be attending graduate school in 2014-2015 at Kent State's MA in Translation program, and am really looking forward to that as well.

I also play the piano and flute, and love all sorts of music. I'm a huge Perfume and Capsule fan, and I hope I can see them in concert in Tokyo, as I didn't get to do that last time! I'm also a little too fond of the Japanese train system, haha. My favorite things about Japan are Mt. Fuji, kanji jokes, and Shinto shrines!

Can't wait to meet you all in Japan!

buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 04:58:27 PM »
Katrina! Yay!! Since you're in Doshi you're Ben's successor, I think his name is oddba11 or something like that on this forum. Or you can look up Ben Tite on facebook.

Also I LOVE Perfume and capsule and have seen both of them live, please allow me to accompany you to more concerts  ^-^ And I want to be a professional translator too... looks like we have a lot to talk about.  :-D You can add me on facebook too, my name is Brittany Shropshire!

Can't wait to talk to you more!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 05:17:12 PM »
The placements are rolling in indeed. I guess the kencho will have to be given some time to work out where to put everyone.
Both they and the BOEs need to wait for people to send them confirmations. People's circumstances and minds change all the time.

catglen

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 09:14:40 PM »
hey Katrina! im a new JET this year too, looking forward to meeting you!

oddba11

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »
Hi Katrina!

I am indeed your predecessor, Congratulations!  :mrgreen:

I've sent you a PM, hope you got it.

nekori7

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 02:53:48 AM »
@buriko: Thanks! And yes, let's go together! I was so upset when I came to Japan last year and discovered that Perfume was on a world tour of Asia, right during the time I was in Japan...this time, though, I'll be there!

I'm fairly glad to be by Tokyo again, because it means it'll be a little easier to get to stuff like concerts, or Comiket (went last year during summer, had a blast), or big events.

@catglen: Hi! Do you know where you're placed yet?

@oddba11: Let the email bombing of questions commence, then!

catglen

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:40 AM »
No i have no found out my placement yet! but if anyone finds out they are my pred please let me know :) my name is Catherine Glen (dont think i put my last name on there before). Excited to come! got some ski pants today and hiking boots, so im ready!

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 10:22:43 AM »
Hello everyone!

My name is Ka Ying Ho (but I go by my English name, Karen). I just graduated from a Teacher Education program at the University of Toronto. I have lived in Canada almost all my life. I've visited Japan last summer (I was debating whether to go to Korea or Japan for my teaching abroad year... obviously, Japan won my heart!). Today, I found out that I am placed in Yamanashi prefecture! I don't know where exactly I am placed yet, but will update as soon as I find out. Excited to meet all the new and old JETs! Everyone I've met so far online seem so friendly  :-D

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:23 AM »
Good stuff Karen. We are a friendly bunch for sure.
If your placement is only for Yamanashi Ken, then you are going to be in the High School section obviously working in High schools. Well, apart from one position.

For people like you and Cat, you'll only know your specific placement and pred when the kencho releases that information!

Welcome to the Ken! Although that is over 2 months away.

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 12:43:53 PM »
Seems to be lots of people being assigned to yamanashi ken. Didn't know there were so many of us prefectural folks leaving!

But yep, welcome new people, congratulations on coming out amongst the better placed people in the grand Jet lottery, no cold tiny island in the sea of Japan for you! Despite the name suggesting the opposite we've got the best mountains in Japan (go away Shizuoka, Fuji is OURS) yet we also have Tokyo right next door. For research I suggest the movie 'Kagemusha'.
毒食らわば皿まで

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 12:47:14 PM »
(go away Shizuoka, Fuji is OURS)

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 01:18:29 PM »
Yay!  Glad to see you guys signed up for the forum :)  Everyone will be able to answer your burning questions and the forum is rich with discussion on ...probably everything to do with Yamanashi.  Also, I'm sure lots more friend requests will be made with you guys.  We really enjoy facebook stalking, it's a bit of an addiction.

Though I will surely love you all (well, I hope), I am really interested to hear about the 4 JETs coming to Hokuto as the city is near and dear to my heart.  I know of one but nothing of the other three.  Looking forward to meeting you guys and I'll see you at Tokyo Orientation!  If you get bored and you want to talk to some (probably) sane people or just want to  take a break without your crazy roommates, come to the AJET room  :lol: