Author Topic: 2013 people - Welcome to Yamanashi  (Read 8150 times)

Offline Jacklostinred

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 people - Welcome to Yamanashi
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2013, 03:58:14 PM »
Hey Everyone;

My name is Stephen and I am being placed somewhere in Yamanashi-ken (I think I am prefectural as I wasn't given a city). I am from Edmonton Alberta and I graduated from Grant MacEwan University 4 years ago and have been keeping myself busy trying to convince the company I work for to pay me $300,000.00 to abandon JET and stay working for them.  I will be accompanied by my wife  Katherine (an alternate  :-(), who I hope will be welcome to partake in YETI stuff.  Also since she wont have a job coming out I am interested in looking into opportunities for her to find work in the region, I am open for suggestions.

Both my wife and I visited Japan in January for a month to visit our JET friends we met last year during our application (long story) and have toured most of Japan west of Tokyo.  Needless to say we are excited to get back.

Just a side note, as I am sure all of the new JETs agree, if anyone has any idea who our successors are please pass that info on.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2013, 04:58:50 PM »
Hey Stephen,
Good to hear that you are looking forward to coming over and that you know your worth ($300,000? Ouch. I'll be worth a lot less than that).
Hopefully Katherine will be upgraded and will join you in Yamanashi.
You won't know your position until the Kencho (Prefectural office) releases the placement details and then you'll know who your pred is or we can point you their way.

Should Katherine not get upgraded, this will also dictate the job hunt for her. Once we know where you are, you can advertise around, check out our classifieds section and just ask people. Sorry if that is so vague, but that is the best info I can give at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:23:46 PM by fred »

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
Hi Stephen, and welcome to Yamanashi! I'm sure you and your wife are gonna have a great time here.

I actually came to Japan with my non-JET husband last year, and we've both having the time of our lives. In our case, since we live in Fujiyoshida, it took him a while to find a regular job (he would volunteer and occasionally do a little substitute teaching), but he's now happily working full-time. A lot of the cram and English conversation schools do their hiring in the spring, which isn't so convenient for JET families, but there are exceptions. If you're placed around Kofu or the surrounding areas, your wife shouldn't have a hard time finding a teaching job. Regardless of where you are, I'd heartily encourage lots and lots of networking, since that was how my husband landed the gig he has now.

Good luck to you both with the move!
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2013, 09:50:52 PM »
Hi Stephen,

Gaijinpot.com sometimes advertises jobs in Yamanashi, (currently Unitas and Bunri (Eikaiwa and juku respectively) are advertising). Might not be long term (for her sake) but something to get a bit of cash and experience??
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Offline Jacklostinred

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »
Awesome thanks for the advice on finding her work.  Some friends of ours who were in a similar situation last year suggested it would be helpful to have her spend sometime getting to know the community and get the household setup before looking for full time work.  They seem to be quite comfortable right now because of it, so we might give it a spin and see how it goes.

Offline acra

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
Hey everyone! My name's Allison, and I'll also be coming to Yamanashi this August. My placement tells me I'll be working in Hokuto and from reading about it a bit here, it sounds like it's going to be a good place to live and work, so I'm really excited to get there and experience it for myself. I'm from New Jersey though, not another ALT from Kentucky, so sorry to possibly disappoint anyone.  :wink: I'm a recent English major college grad, and I've taken some years of Japanese in college and hope to keep learning while living over there.

I've never been to Japan before though so I'm really glad that this community exists and seems really friendly and helpful. Looking forward to meeting you all once I'm over there!  :lol:

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »
Welcome Allison!

We live just outside of Hokuto by my wife Emily works at Hokuto high school.  Hokuto is a little more rural in the Yamanashi area but a full of amazing spots.  My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time traveling around the area over the last year and still don't feel like we've seen half of what it has to offer. 

Offline Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 03:43:30 PM »
I'm from New Jersey though, not another ALT from Kentucky, so sorry to possibly disappoint anyone.  :wink:

I guess we can let it slide just this once...

Just kidding!  Hokuto is a really lovely place, so I'm happy to welcome you here  :-)

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
Nice. We shall see you in August then.

Offline catglen

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 03:16:42 AM »
Hey allison! im new in august as well :) will you be in group A or B? If your in group A, you will see me there!!

Offline acra

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 06:37:23 AM »
Welcome Allison!

We live just outside of Hokuto by my wife Emily works at Hokuto high school.  Hokuto is a little more rural in the Yamanashi area but a full of amazing spots.  My wife and I have spent quite a bit of time traveling around the area over the last year and still don't feel like we've seen half of what it has to offer.

I've been looking up Hokuto online and it does seem somewhat rural, but I don't mind that at all, and I'm basically just caught up in how beautiful the area looks. Can't wait to explore it too!

Hey allison! im new in august as well :) will you be in group A or B? If your in group A, you will see me there!!

Hello! Unfortunately I won't be able to see you at orientation because I'm in Group B, but I'm sure at the prefecture orientation we'll end up meeting, right? So I'll see you then!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
Hi Allison!  Welcome to Hokuto!  There are lots of Kentuckians (like me) but don't let it ruin your experience :wink:
Our city is awesome and I'll be going into my 5th year here so I should know! haha, but seriously, it's a great place to live and work but, yes, it is very rural.  A car is an absolute must.

Offline J.R.R.

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »
Hi Allison. Welcome to Hokuto! I'm also one of those people from Hokuto.
I've been looking up Hokuto online and it does seem somewhat rural, but I don't mind that at all, and I'm basically just caught up in how beautiful the area looks. Can't wait to explore it too!

Pretty rural and lots of exploring to be had here, I haven't even explored all of it.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
Someone smuggle me crawfish from the states.  I'll love you forever and ever.

Offline aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
Someone smuggle me crawfish from the states.  I'll love you forever and ever.
I like the sound of this. Family teased me with pictures from crawfish boils (TnT)

Oh, and welcome all!!

Offline psTristan

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
can anyone bring back bojangles...or chik-fil-a? or some pulled-pork bbq...so damn hungry

Offline Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2013, 01:36:30 PM »
can anyone bring back bojangles...or chik-fil-a? or some pulled-pork bbq...so damn hungry

Don't say the BBQ word.  It only makes my heart sad...

Offline Jacklostinred

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
Speaking of food, I do have a background in cooking and tend to make many things from scratch.  Maybe me and Andy should team up and do a cookout or something.

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2013, 04:45:08 PM »

Don't say the BBQ word.  It only makes my heart sad...

Actually one of the new Minami Alps ALT actually imported his BBQ grill in Japan.  He can literally make ribs and good bbq.   nom nom nom nom
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 01:49:27 AM »
Speaking of food, I do have a background in cooking and tend to make many things from scratch.  Maybe me and Andy should team up and do a cookout or something.

I'm always down.

Offline KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
I just received news that I will be placed in Kofu Nishi High School! I tried to get more info from Google, looks like it's a junior high school? Does that mean I will be teaching grade 7-10?

If anyone has any information about the area, please feel free to contact me! :) I'm excited to be in Kofu!

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2013, 12:12:02 PM »
I just received news that I will be placed in Kofu Nishi High School! I tried to get more info from Google, looks like it's a junior high school? Does that mean I will be teaching grade 7-10?

If anyone has any information about the area, please feel free to contact me! :) I'm excited to be in Kofu!

No, Kofu Nishi is a High School, grades 10-12.  It is in central Kofu and you will be close to all the action.  Its a good school.  Your pred is Criag, OxO on the forum.  Congrats.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2013, 01:40:39 PM »
Nishi high school is this one
http://goo.gl/maps/DXC07

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »
Welcome to Kofu, Karen 2.0  :mrgreen:

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
I know she's another Karen, but at least the other Karen won't be here to make things confusing.
Meanwhile here in Hokuto, they are adding another Sarah from KY.
3 Sara(h)s from KY....what is my BOE thinking?

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 06:20:35 PM »
I know she's another Karen, but at least the other Karen won't be here to make things confusing.

They obviously love you and trying to get as many more of you as possible.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 12:45:16 PM »

I can't deny the fact that we're pretty lovable, but at this point, they're just hoarding us.  Share the Sara(h)s!

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

I can't deny the fact that we're pretty lovable, but at this point, they're just hoarding us.  Share the Sara(h)s!

Seriously.  It's like Hokuto is on a mission to hoard all the Sara(h)s from KY that they can.

Offline KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »
Thank you! I just got in touch with Craig. He gave me all the details about my school and area. Sounds amazing!!  :-D :-D :-D

No, Kofu Nishi is a High School, grades 10-12.  It is in central Kofu and you will be close to all the action.  Its a good school.  Your pred is Criag, OxO on the forum.  Congrats.