Author Topic: DEMONSTRATION LESSON?!  (Read 777 times)

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
DEMONSTRATION LESSON?!
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »
Ack! So I've been told today that I will be having a demonstration lesson on February 14th. This is somewhat distressing because:

(1) well...it's a demonstration lesson - in front of a group of teachers and the principal. That's a fairly obvious reason to be nervous.

(2) Some part of me still thought I was living in SA, so the section of work I'm doing now isn't really what I had planned to wrap the year up with, and isn't really demonstrating material as far as I'm concerned - aand I have a verry little time to actually complete it in...and then they tell me about a demo lesson.

(3) I don't have a new idea of what to do for that day~!~!~! Besides the obvious "Valentines" theme...which I can't really get to work.

Anyway. If things go accroding to plan (i.e. no sudden timetable changes), the class I'll be teaching is a fairly high level first year class, and I should have just about wrapped up the module. Meaning I could do a revision lesson (with the greatest hits from the year) or a completely fresh one. I'm just curious to hear what other people did for their demo lessons. Or if anyone has some good once off lesson ideas.

Help?

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Re: DEMONSTRATION LESSON?!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »
I don't know how things work in High School (where it sounds like you are?), but for me in JHS demo lessons are just like regular lessons except with more stress. I'd say look at it more like 'what was I going to do anyway' and then make it better... with fancier materials or more in depth activities. Chances are whatever you do will be fine, and even if you totally messed up nothing will change at work.

Someone who works at HS feel free to chime in and correct me, but I don't think it's anything to get too worked up about. Breath!

(Edit: DUH this is in the HS section. Derp. My apologies!)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 11:05:28 AM by Terranasaurus Rex »
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:33:28 AM »
I don't know how things work in High School (where it sounds like you are?), but for me in JHS demo lessons are just like regular lessons except with more stress.

i LOVE demo lessons. the kids are all so nervous and worried about being watched that they don't act up and class can run smoothly. Play to the crowd for laughs once or twice in the period and you own the classroom. Also it helps not to get worked up over it because demo lessons don't really mean anything for the ALTs but they do for the JTE so they really need you to be on top of your game.

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:27:07 AM »
Before you plan something make sure that the JTE doesn't have something ready to go. In my experience both teaching demos and observing demos the JTEs usually roll out some wacky lesson that they think is appropriate to show off their skills.

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:41:17 AM »
Yeah, my JTE is getting very worked up about - which in turn makes me equally so . But he's already let me know that I have to plan the lesson. So yes.
Let's just take a couple of deep breaths and be "as calm as Hindu cows".

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 12:31:30 PM »
Yeah, my JTE is getting very worked up about - which in turn makes me equally so . But he's already let me know that I have to plan the lesson. So yes.

Well, if you are being observed there will be a checklist of things you should hit... Your JTE should be trained to know these things... Like, strong opening or icebreaker, teacher led instruction, student lead learning, good use of both the JTE and ALT, strong closing... Spacing between teachers, 50-50 split of instruction... Just get a checklist of what he wants you to hit and modify a lesson, outline it down into 5-10-15 minute blocks and follow it... The more organization and structure the better for an observation, so that the observers can clearly state that shit was well thought out

Offline devilwoman

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »

Which JTE do you have it with?