Author Topic: Fishing in Yamanashi  (Read 1320 times)

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Fishing in Yamanashi
« on: February 18, 2013, 12:22:33 PM »
Does anyone know anything about fishing permits and regulations in Yamanashi?

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing in Yamanashi
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 12:54:02 PM »
In addition to this, if anyone also knows where you can find info on where you can fish that it's safe/legal to keep and eat your catch. I heard a story of a small town somewhere in south yamanashi where they were catching and eating shellfish and dozens of people died from a parasite.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 01:15:40 PM »
Here's the Japanese website? http://www.pref.yamanashi.jp/kakinousui/86113308216.html

I don't know anything about it myself though.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 01:18:12 PM »
People fish and eat their catch in my village all the time. We have a huge stretch of fishing holes along the river you can rent for a part of the day, then you grill them right on the riverside. I can't help re:permits etc as I've never done it but when im not on my phone i can pull up the fishing village website and you can give it a look

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 05:12:11 PM »
My Japanese friend's husband goes fishing quite regularly.  From what I understand from talking with him, fishing in the wild is a heavily regulated thing in Japan.  You are only supposed to catch certain types of fish depending on the year and only so many per trip.  The rules vary by region, too. 
I wasn't all that interested to be honest, so I didn't ask many other questions other than asking how much a permit costs.  I remember thinking it was remarkably cheap.

You can go to one of those pond type rental places and fish to your hearts content, however.  In the wild, it's a totally different story and you are not supposed to do it without the proper permitting and knowing the rules.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 01:13:13 PM »
Interesting.  That runs somewhat counter to what I'd read, so I'll be sure to look into it closely and get the facts straight.  There's one fishing pond in my village but I'm interested in sport fishing as opposed to pulling from stocked ponds. 

I'll report back if I find anything specific.

Ninja Edit:  Thanks for the link buriko!  Looks like what I was looking for.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24:40 PM »
There are serious fishermen who hit the rivers in my towns too, when they don't want to do the smaller pond things. waders and 3m long poles and all sorts of lures or flies or whatever, the whole kit and caboodle. no clue on what permits they carry though.

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »
I'm not serious, but I figure catching dinner with a beer in hand sounds like a good way to spend an afternoon.

Looks like buriko's link has all the information necessary. 

There's 3 links on that page:
  • A summary of the rules with a link to the application,
  • Seasons for each town/area,
  • and further restrictions / exceptions.

I could be mistaken on the third; my town wasn't listed so I didn't look closely.