Author Topic: Yeti Spaghetti, February 28th, 2013  (Read 634 times)

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Yeti Spaghetti, February 28th, 2013
« on: February 28, 2013, 05:31:39 PM »
[[As always if you wish to SUBSCRIBE or UNSUBSCRIBE from this newsletter, please send an email to [email protected]]]

It's almost time for weepy graduations!  The sadness of graduation in Yamanashi is often two-fold.  We have to say goodbye to our students and suffer in overly freezing gyms in less than sufficient suits and skirts.  It also means that it is almost time to say goodbye to those who will be leaving Japan for greener pastures at the end of the school year.  This also means stressful packing and anxiety.  If there's anything we can help you with, be sure to make a post on the forum.  If you are also looking to get rid of furniture or other sundries you've collected over the years, try listing them on the forum and see who can take it or buy it from you.  On to the news!

YETI and AJET news

----Yeti Spring Pub Quiz, March 16th----

Where: As always, Tsuki Cafe in Otsuki, right outside of Otsuki Station!
When: Saturday March 16, 6pm-10pm (quiz starts at 6:30, but please try to arrive early!)
Cost: 1000yen non-YETI members, 500yen YETI members

Pretty sure you guys know the drill, but for those who don't: it's one of my favorite YETI events, a drunken night of trivia and fun! We'll have a number of teams and compete to answer various questions from a multiplicity of categories and win (cough) amazing prizes! Competition gets heated, so be prepared. Hehe.

It's also worth mentioning that the annual St. Patrick's Day Parade is held in Tokyo on the day after Pub Quiz, so many people like to head into Tokyo after the competition is over.  :-D

The lovely hosts of this year's spring quiz are Coleman and Marc!

In order to make teams, get appropriate prizes, and let the owner know how many guests to expect,
Please RSVP by Wednesday, March 13.
++You can RSVP on the facebook event or the forum++

----National AJET Elections and Facebook group----
It's now time to vote for the new AJET representatives.  National AJET Reps act as a go-between for regular ALTs, CLAIR and oftentimes various Ministries of Japan such as MOFA and MEXT.  They are there to represent the opinions or concerns of the JET community.
You can now vote for AJET Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer and Block 4 Representative.  The Block 4 Representative represents Yamanashi, Shizuoka, Chiba, Kanagawa and Tokyo.

Voting will be closed after Friday, March 1st!

You can vote and read both the executive and block representative platforms here:  http://ajet.net/2013/02/15/voting-for-the-2013-2014-national-ajet-council-has-begun/
(Also, vote for me, please! :))

There is also a facebook group
available for those who belong to Block 4 (includes all JETs in Yamanashi).  The facebook group is there to see the latest AJET news but also to swap event posts and general chitchat.  If you request to be added, you should be added to the group shortly.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/ajetblock4

----AJET Peer Support now on Skype!----

I know I have mentioned this service in the past, but the Peer Support Group is open to current JETs.  They can refer you to counseling services or doctors and are trained to listen compassionately to your woes.  Please call them if you are ever feeling down or don't feel like you have anyone you can speak to.  In the past, there was only a phone number but the service is now available on Skype.

The AJET Peer Support Group (PSG), the JET Community's confidential and anonymous telephone support service, is pleased to announce a free Skype-based service. JETs can now reach PSG by voice calling the username AJETPSG on Skype between 20:00 and 07:00.

In order to call via Skype, you will need to add AJETPSG as a contact, but PSG will never confirm your contact request. Once you call, you'll hear a brief message in Japanese, and connecting may take a moment. In addition, please be aware that this is a new service, and despite our best efforts there may still be some technical glitches. If you are unable to get through, or you would prefer an even higher level of anonymity, feel free to call our normal hotline number at 050-5534-5566 (depending on your calling plan, fees may apply). Either way, you will never be asked for your name, and all call records are deleted each evening.

Events around Yamanashi

----Doll's Day Festival Doll Display----

It's a fairly surprisingly popular display located in Koshu City.  It is often featured in magazines, especially ones featuring travel to Yamanashi for spring.  It's quite a large collection of traditional dolls set in a traditional display especially to commemorate Doll's Day.  Dolls from the Edo, Meiji, Taisho and Showa eras will especially be highlighted.  There will be various locations with displays so please check the website.

Date: February 11th~April 18th
Address: 甲州市塩山上於曽1651
Access: 1 min walk from Enzan station North Exit, though various locations in Enzan will have doll displays so please check the information link.

More information:http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/koshu/event/hinakazari_momonohana.html

----Japan's First Peach Blossom Viewing of the Season----

*I erroneously described this event as a "cherry blossom" viewing in the last issue, but actually they are  peach blossoms, which tend to come earlier than cherry blossoms*

The first peach blossom viewing is held in a greenhouse right here in Yamanashi.
 Even though you may have to wear a coat and scarf on the way there (it is warm in the greenhouse!), it is worth it to say you enjoyed the first official viewing in Japan.  You can bring your own food and drink but please take your trash back home with you

Date: February 14th~middle of March
Time: 10 am- 3pm
Admission: 500yen
Map and more information here (PDF): http://www.yamanashi-kankou.jp/fuefuki/event/documents/20130124093321422.pdf

Events in and around Tokyo

----Akihabara Oktober Fest----

Who needs to wait til October to get in a quick Oktoberfest?  Certainly not Japan as these are often happening around Tokyo all year long.  This one will feature German-style beer from Hofbräu München, Franzikaner and Sankt Gallen breweries.  There will also be german-style music.
Date : March 1-6
Time:  March 1st: 4pm-9pm, every other day from 11am-9pm
Admission: Free entrance but beer cost varies
Access: 4 min walk from JR Akihabara Electric Town Exit.

More information (Japanese only, includes map): http://www.sanktgallenbrewery.com/event/akihabaraoktoberfest.html

----Shibuya Midnight Madness (Horror film screening)----
If you like the blood and guts horror films with little artistic merit, stop by this screening!  It's at a reduced price of 1200 yen so not as bad as catching a blockbuster hit in the local Toho Cinema, if you are into that sort of thing.  All showings are western horror films in English with Japanese subtitles.  Also Human Trust Cinema has showings of other movies that do not run here in Yamanashi, so it is a place to check out for something you have been wanting to see.

Date: March 2-May 10
Time: Depends on the movie, please check the link below.
Admission: 1200 yen per screening, 1000yen if on the 1st of the month
Location: Human Trust Cinema Shibuya, 7-8F Cocoti, 1-23-16 Shibuya, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
Access: A few mins walk from Shibuya station, Fukutoshin line, exit 13

More information: http://finefilms.co.jp/midnight2013/

Fun Stuff/Useful Stuff

---Who Am I?----

Last Issue's Hints:
1. I am incapable of playing any instrument more complicated than the tambourine. If it needs sheet music, I'm done for.
2. I have shaken hands with a king.
3. I have pet a tiger, and I don't mean one of those sedated ones you see in travel pictures from Thailand. I mean a pissed off one without a trainer.

The answer is the lovely and talented Conor!  I love that he attempted to throw everyone off his scent.

No new submissions this week so I would welcome your own submissions.  You can even write them for your friends but I am not to be held responsible for what you write about them ;) email me: [email protected]

---Fun Links----

Iherb: iherb.com
It has kind of an unassuming website name but this site sells loads of stuff with reasonable prices for shipping to Japan.  Has lots of supplements and vitamins but also specializes in organic food.  I have used the website primarily to buy refried beans for taco nights and specialty beauty products and it has been cheaper than going to kaldi or other specialty stores.  Check it out and see if it is for you!

Cinnabon Japan: cinnabon-jp.com
Not really a "fun link" but this was an easy way to just let everyone know the wait is over and there is now a  Cinnabon in Roppongi.  It only recently opened up back in November and is connected with a Seattle's Best Coffee.  The location is near to Roppongi station, check the link for a map and more details.

Yoyo Market
: yoyomarket.jp
I believe most people here know of the flying pig which sells costco items, but it also has a competitor called Yoyo market.  Yoyo sometimes offers better deals and does sell other imports, not limited to costco.  I found it to be better cheaper for many bagged and canned items but more expensive for fresh foods. 

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
Re: Yeti Spaghetti, February 28th, 2013
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:22 PM »
The answer is the lovely and talented Conor!  I love that he attempted to throw everyone off his scent.

Would you expect anything less?