Author Topic: Flights to Europe  (Read 771 times)

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
Flights to Europe
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:57:42 PM »
There's clearly not enough question topics started by me in this forum.

I plan to fly back to Ireland this Summer for a week or so and was just wondering if there's any particularly recommended airlines/airports to use? I figure Narita is probably my best bet.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Flights to Europe
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
For you especially, Narita or Haneda are the best.

If you are looking for the best prices, best to finf the cheapest fair to a european hub where you can then catch a low cost flight home. Maybe London or Amsterdam?

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
Haneda is much more pleasant, I think you should fly from there if you can. I flew home last summer with British Airways. It was definitely the best deal at the time. I used several price comparison sites to look for tickets and I found a good one on edreams. Beware of the flights that show up as the cheapest, they're usually brutal 30-40 hour ordeals that dump you in the Middle East for a day with nothing to do. The BA flight was only like 100 euro more than the cheapest option, but took half the time and was with a far more trustworthy airline. Straight to London and then a quick connection to Dublin. I even got a surprise free upgrade and got served steak for dinner. The Irish girls who lived here last year also used BA when they flew home.

My return ticket cost around 1200 last year, leaving at the end of July and returning mid-August.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:41:30 PM by Karurosu »

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 04:00:47 PM »
Yeah, Haneda is much better.
Though Narita isn't too bad to get to for me (direct bus from Kofu. Slept through most of it and wasn't coming off the back of a 12 hour flight so didn't mind), getting back takes forever, means taking a train through half of Chiba.
Haneda though is right in the middle of Tokyo so its like a pretty standard trip to the big city.

Virgin are pretty crappy. BA are better.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 04:15:33 PM »
Unfortunately there's no flights with BA in Haneda on the 25th, which is the day I need to fly out. (Sister is getting married on the 26th. Summer break starts on the 25th) Looks like I'll be going with Narita as BA generally seem to be the preferred carrier and they have flights that day.

The extra time to get to Narita doesn't really bother me. I've gone out that far on trains a couple of times since I got here anyway, so I'm sort of used to it.

Offline Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:12:14 AM »
I dont know if swiss air go to ireland but i use them because they have a double baggage allowance coming/going to japan. 2x23kg! im slowly migrating out here so its really helpful  ^-^
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:23 AM »
When I used to fly home to Ireland, KLM were the cheapest almost every time. Going through Schiphol.

I used STA Travel (specifically a guy called Noriyuki) to sort out my flights and he always got me a good deal. He also loves Ireland, so that is always a bonus.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.