Author Topic: 90-minute Oral Communication lesson?!? Help!!  (Read 502 times)

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
90-minute Oral Communication lesson?!? Help!!
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I've almost finished the stacks and stacks of exams/essays that have piled up over the last week, and I was starting to get excited to kick back and relax for a month without any classes. Then..... THIS happened.

I've been ''assisting'' a JTE with a high-level first year Oral Communication class this year (translation: she asks me to ''help'', gives some vague guidelines on what she wants to do, then leaves everything to me). A lot of the classes haven't gone all that well because I typically find out what she wants me to do a day or two before class, and this upcoming class is no exception. Here's what she told me she wants the lesson to be like:

* Discussion-focused (students sharing their opinions in English)
* Information gap activity-- she suggested that some of the students have a picture and others have a different one....?
* Study of cultural differences between America and Japan

My first instinct was to do a debate-style class where students discuss some cultural difference and present their argument to the class, but would that work for a 90-minute class? I've always wanted to have a debate class (and I'm lucky enough that these students have a high enough English level to pull it off), but I'd love suggestions from people who have done something like this. New lesson ideas are welcome too, of course-- I'm not married to the debate idea.  :-D
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
Re: 90-minute Oral Communication lesson?!? Help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
It sounds like you have a really good start to this. I don't know much about teaching High School or what your kids levels are, but you could have it include all of that! Start with a good review warm up that reinforces things they already know that they will use in the debate. Then you can use the information gap activity to teach/describe some cultural differences. Stuff like wearing school uniforms, entrance exams vs. applications (college or high school), wearing shoes inside vs. not.
Then put them in groups and have them come up with debate points...one group has to argue for American Style culture and the other has to argue for Japanese style culture. You should be able to fill up the 90 minutes with that. Maybe have 15-20 minutes at the end for the actual debate but give them at least 10 minutes to actually form/write their debate points?
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: 90-minute Oral Communication lesson?!? Help!!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:26:28 PM »
I've done debate classes before. With classes that have a lot of high level and/or genki kids it works out pretty well.
Not much actual in class work required by the teachers either, just give an example debate with the JTE then put the students into groups and tell the kids to think of a topic that divides their group. I guess with you it would be within the parameters of "Who does X better- the US or Japan?", e.g. should kids wear school uniforms.
Then its just a case of giving them 10/15 minutes to think of some arguments, write down some bullet points and get ready then they're off.
I usually have 4 groups and get it just about done in an hour long lesson. Some sort of powerpoint presentation with interesting pictures, is a nice start to get rid of 10 or 15 minutes.
毒食らわば皿まで