Author Topic: Tokyo Yamathon 2013 - April 20th!  (Read 5317 times)

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Tokyo Yamathon 2013 - April 20th!
« on: March 15, 2013, 01:02:12 AM »
Have you ever been to Tokyo? Have you ever ridden the Yamanote line? Are you interested in seeing the city in a whole new way? Here is your chance! The International Volunteer Group Japan (IVG) is having its fourth annual Yamathon on April 20th, 2013 to raise money for Oxfam, an international relief organization that will use the proceeds to help those living in poverty around the world.

What does it involve? Instead of riding the Yamanote line, teams of 3-4 people walk the entire length of it taking photos at each station with the goal of finishing together in under 12 hours.

The Yamathon is only as strenuous (and as fun!) as you want it to be. It is like taking a decent walk for up to 12 hours. It is possible to run it as well, but you finish as a team, so the last member sets your overall time. Aside from random acts from Mother Nature like typhoons, the biggest challenges are blisters and strained muscles, but more information and advice about preventing this will be posted later. As teams walk around Tokyo, you are never far from a combini or a toilet stop should any needs arise.

I will be dealing with the registrations, fees, teams, hotel bookings, and any other logistical questions/concerns if you have any. Once fees are paid, however, it will be too late to pull out financially. I can also help if you want to invite your friends and make your own team too.

Finally, just for your pleasure, here is a video we took last year of our walk starring the ever sexy Wade!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TI5CLILSQQ

So sign up and join me and others for this event.

Oh, and here is the official cut and paste too.........

=============================================================================================================================

The Yamathon is back! Join us on Saturday April 20th as we once again compete to walk around the Yamanote train line, raising money for Oxfam Japan.

-- What is The Yamathon? --

The Yamathon is a physical and navigational challenge where teams of three or four people attempt to walk around the Yamanote line in under 12 hours, visiting each station along the way. The Yamanote line is Japan's busiest and most important commuter rail line which circles Tokyo and is famous around the world.

-- When, where and how much? --

• When: Saturday 20th April 2013
• Meeting Time: 06:15
• Starting time: 07:00
• Meeting point: At the entrance of Yoyogi Park (2 mins walk from Harajuku Station)
• Team Registration Fee: 8,000 yen per team
*100% of your team fee will be donated to Oxfam Japan*

-- Why should I get involved in this? --

The Yamathon is a unique physical team challenge which you will start together, stick together, and finish together. It's a fascinating way to see the capital city of Japan and all its sights from a new perspective.

This is also a fundraising event. The majority of your registration fee and all of the money you raise in sponsorship will go straight to Oxfam Japan who will use it to help those living in poverty around the world. - http://www.oxfam.jp/en/

The Yamathon is organised by members of the International Volunteer Group (IVG) who volunteer their time and efforts to put on fundraising events around Tokyo. Our last Yamathon in November 2012 attracted over 300 participants and together we raised over 600,000 yen for Oxfam Japan.

http://www.ivgjapan.org/

-- Where can I sign up? Where can I get more information? --

To register a team or to simply find out more, please visit our website:

http://www.tokyo-yamathon.com/

You can also follow us on twitter:

https://twitter.com/TheYamathon

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-- The Yamathonとは何でしょうか?--

The Yamathonとは3~4人のチームで東京の中心に位置する山手線の29駅全てを、12時間以内に歩くことを目標に、持久力、チームワーク、ナビゲーションへの挑戦を試そうというイベントです。チームメンバー全員でスタートし、ともに歩き、ともにゴールします。
チーム全員でゴールできるよう、皆さま自身でコースを決め、ゴールを目指しましょう。参加費のうち8,000円は、オックスファム・ジャパン寄付され、世界の様々な地域で貧困から立ち上がろうとする人々への支援に活用されます。

http://www.oxfam.jp/

わずかな宣伝で、11月に行われたYAMATHONは大きな成功を収めることが出来ました。300人以上の方が参加し、オックスファム・ジャパンへ60万円以上の寄付が集まりました。私たちオックスファムIVGは三回目の都市部でのチャリティイベントに大変湧き立っており、イベントの発展、成功を目指して現在活動しております。

-- イベント概要 --

■日時: 4月20日 土曜日
■集合時間: 06:15
■集合場所:代々木公園入り口(JR原宿駅から徒歩2分)
■開始時間: 07:00
■参加費: 1チーム8,000円(100% はオックスファム・ジャパンに寄付されます、

参加登録や詳しい情報を知りたい方は、こちら(英語)をご覧ください。

http://www.tokyo-yamathon.com/

Team 1 (Faster)

1. Fred (TL)
2. Mike Martin
3. Tristan
4. ?

Team 2+3 (Leisurely)

1. Chandre
2. Amanda (TL)
3. Erin
4. Matt Castle (TL)
5. Alli
6. Rob Paterson
7. Sairus
8. ?

Team 4
1. Wade (TL)
2. Mizuki
3. Daisuke
4. ?

Team 5
1. Hide
2. Erica
3. Jen Beyer
4. Chris Chin

Also Maik and Hiro.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 01:13:13 AM by fred »

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyo Yamathon 2013 - April 20th!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 11:25:04 AM »
I'm in! As a shameless plug for the event, it's quite fun and it's a neat chance to see the different parts of the core of Tokyo. Also, it's easier than climbing Mt. Fuji, so if you've done that, then you can do this.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 01:33:56 PM »
The Yamathon is indeed a fun event, and yes I am ever sexy  :mrgreen: One note for people is if you are interested then the time to start training is now. The whole walking distance is about 44km and is strenuous if your body is not used to it. I had a great time, but it was difficult near the end because of tired knees from lack of conditioning. Since the temps are warming up, what better reason to get out for a walk than to enjoy the weather and make the Yamathon an even better experience? Let's challenging!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »
Good advice Wade. I would suggest that people do a few long walks beforehand in the shoes they intend to use. Perhaps get off a train one or two stops early and walk home. I feel two walks of 7km+ in the two weeks before would be a minimum.

I will be bringing anti-blister powder with me and vaseline for those that need it.

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 02:11:51 PM »
Good advice Wade. I would suggest that people do a few long walks beforehand in the shoes they intend to use. Perhaps get off a train one or two stops early and walk home. I feel two walks of 7km+ in the two weeks before would be a minimum.

I will be bringing anti-blister powder with me and vaseline for those that need it.

Oh really :lol:

Teams of 3-4? If there's loads of us are we still going round together or splitting up? How much is the hotel?
Might be up for it if the missus lets me  :-D
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
Indeed...some need it more than others  :roll:

Everyone will be split into teams of 3-4 people. Once you have your/a team, the team is registered and the fees paid. Usually you make a team with your friends. There are always people in need of a team and they make a team together.

Teams start either clockwise or anti-clockwise with staggered start times. So no more than 3 or 4 teams start at any one time.

The hotel will depend. Some people always crash with a friend in Tokyo. For those who need a hotel, I look for the cheapest hotel I can find close to the start line. Last year, we ended up paying under 4000 yen for the hotel I think....but I can't remember.

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 04:28:52 PM »
The hotel will depend. Some people always crash with a friend in Tokyo. For those who need a hotel, I look for the cheapest hotel I can find close to the start line. Last year, we ended up paying under 4000 yen for the hotel I think....but I can't remember.

Yeah, I think you managed to get us that one for about a man.

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 04:31:03 PM »
Is that the sequel to 'About a boy'?
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 04:32:25 PM »
Only if "boy" in this case refers to a Japanese number.

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »
The idea of joining has been going back and forth in my mind for one or two months now. Still not made the final decision ^_^" Indecisiveness thy name is Chandre.
Anyhow, I see the closing date for registration is 17th April. How much notice would you like before that if we/I decide to join in this year?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 12:03:01 PM »
Teams have to be registered by the 17th, which is something I will get done.
However, organising hotels and the makeup of the teams needs to be done earlier than that, so the sooner the better really.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:58:48 PM by fred »

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 07:20:00 PM »
This year, the Yamathon has had a few sponsors come onboard due to the hard work that Joe (the main organiser) has put in.

Here is what is on offer

1. Winning Yamathon team prize: Each member of the winning team will receive a pair of miadidas customised running shoes!

For more information on miadidas please see http://adidas.jp/miadidas/special/ or for English check http://www.adidas.com/us/content/miadidas/

2. Best Team Costume Prize: 10,000JPY voucher for each winning team member to spend at Adidas stores!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 04:55:29 PM »
Just a quickie peeps.
The Yamathon is for teams of 3-4 people. If you want to make your own teams, then let me know and nominate one person to be the team leader.
Otherwise we'll just put people into teams.
For the 8,000 yen fee, I will be arranging for that to be paid and the team leader can pay me in Tokyo or even before.

Once we have teams, we'll need to work out hotel and if they are needed. If you can't get to Harajuku station by 6.15am from home or a friend's place, then you'll need to book a hotel. If you want me to arrange something, the sooner you let me know, the better. I'll be looking to book something through the net.

To get in shape, I strongly suggest that you do one but preferably two walks of 7km or more before the Yamathon using the shoes you plan to walk in. Not really for stamina, but more to toughen your feet and help prevent blisters.

Finally, all of the 8,000 yen goes to charity but we can still raise more. In the past, I have used the attached document at my schools for sponsorship. I just asked friends and work colleagues to sponsor my team. They gave in 3 ways

1) Unconditional donation
2) XXX yen per station reached
3) XXX yen to reach a certain station

If you are at a school, please ask your Kocho sensei permission to ask the other staff members first. I got a teacher of mine to write an explanation at the bottom of the form which helped a lot. There are two spots at the bottom for you to put your own name. I hope that is makes it easier to raise money.

Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »
Alright, I have no friends (or at least, no teammates), but I'd like to sign up anyhow.

If it needs to be repeated, I have no friends in Tokyo, so a hotel would definitely be appreciated.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:29:13 AM »
No problem at all Erin. We are 3 weeks away and I will start pushing people soon, so we will find a team for you.

As for the hotels etc, I can't remember how much we paid last year, but the year before the rooms were 3000 yen per night. No guarantee that I can find the same deal this time, but I will keep my eyes peeled.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2013, 11:48:08 AM »
Hey All,
Well, 2 weeks until I need the registrations to be completed and we have a grand total of zero teams sorted out and we need to get moving. So, in the spirit of the a classified ad, here is the info that I need from you

1) Who are you i.e. Pinky and the Brain
2) What kind if pace are you looking at? i.e. Leisurely, stopping often for pics, powering on, running etc
3) Do you need a hotel room? If so Friday night only or Saturday night too.

Once you post this, then everyone can see it and maybe make teams themselves. Once done, let me know. If there are still individuals left next week, I'll make teams for you.
For the hotels, bear in mind that you need to be at Harajuku station by 6.15am on Saturday. I am going to book places considering the following factors. 

Cheapness ( May have to share with a few people)
Location based on  the ease of getting to the starting point.

Also, there will be an afterparty. At them moment, we are thinking it will be in Ebisu.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 12:01:18 PM by fred »

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2013, 12:01:32 PM »
1. Fred
2. Brisk pace and powering on. No bloody running though.
3. Should be able to stay with a friend.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
1. Wade
2. Brisk pace with occasional conbini pit stop (maybe lunch too)
3. Need hotel both nights
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:40:15 AM by WadeB »

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
1. Chandre and Amanda
2. Steady powering on with photo opp stops
3. Hotel for Friday and Saturday night for Chandre. Don't know Amanda's plan as yet.

Double advertising!!

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »
1. Chandre and Amanda
2. Steady powering on with photo opp stops
3. Hotel for Friday and Saturday night for Chandre. Don't know Amanda's plan as yet.

Double advertising!!

3. I will need a place to stay for Friday night!

Erin

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »
1) Erin
2) Brisk, but with necessary pit stops and picture-taking opportunities
3) Hotel for both nights

Thanks for handling all the organizing for lazy folks such as myself.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
1. Mizuki Horiuchi
2. Normal pace
3. Lodging plans undecided (will edit post when I find out)

1. Daisuke Yamaguchi
2. Normal pace
3. No hotel required

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Cool stuff. I'll add them to my master sheet.

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2013, 01:06:02 PM »
2. Brisk pace and powering on. No bloody running though.

...Not even a little bit?  =(

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2013, 01:19:31 PM »
Have you ever seen me run? No way. I do have quite a brisk pace all the way to the end though.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 12:02:17 AM »
Phew. It took 3 websites and a few phonecalls but I have booked 3 rooms at the Sanyo Hall Business Hotel (ビジネスホテル 山陽会館)
It is located in Shibuya, about 1km from the start point of the event and 300m from one of Shibuya station's exits.

It is communal onsen type bathrooms and will cost just over 10,000 for the weekend.

People who are staying there are Chandre, Amanda,Erin, Alli, Mike Martin,Tristan,Matt Castle, Rob Paterson, Wade.

We have a 4 bunk room, a twin with an extra bed and a twin (I think). So no need to share a bed with anyone.
I am going to talk to the owner again and confirm prices, rooms etc with him.

If anybody else needs a hotel room, let me know and I  will try and squeeze you into this or find something for you.

Tentative Teams

Team 1 (Faster)

1.   Fred
2.   Mike Martin
3.   Tristan
4. ?

Team 2+3 (Leisurely)

1.Chandre
2.Amanda
3.Erin
4.Matt Castle
5.Alli
6.Rob Paterson
7.Sairus
8. ??

Team 4
1. Wade
2. Mizuki
3. Daisuke
4.?

Team 5
1.Hide
2.Erica
3. Jen Beyer
4. Chris Chin?

We still have a good few days before I need to close registrations, so there is still time to join if you want.

Mike and Wade, could you be team leaders for your teams?

Team 2 + 3, I need two people to be team leaders.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 12:08:15 AM by fred »

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:32 AM »
I'll lead one of the two teams.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:28 AM »
I can lead my team, and will try to fill the last spot. Any chance I can squeeze into said hotel on Saturday night?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »
Thanks Matt and Wade. I will send instructions a little later on when I have all the team leaders in place.

Wade, you need a hotel for only Sat night right?

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 10:20:51 AM »
As of now both; I originally said Friday night, but my friend is moving out of her apartment so need another place to crash  :-P