Author Topic: Yeti Spaghetti, April 16th, 2013  (Read 1419 times)

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Yeti Spaghetti, April 16th, 2013
« on: April 16, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
[SUBSCRIBE and UNSUBSCRIBE details]
If you have been added to the Spaghetti mailing list and would like to unsubscribe, please send me an email with the subject UNSUBSCRIBE.  If you are reading this from the forum and would like to subscribe, please send me an email with the subject SUBSCRIBE to spaghetti.yamamama@gmail.com

My Last Yeti Spaghetti:
In case you were unsure of who was writing these things this year, it is me, Sarah Stout.  I'm a 4th year ALT in Hokuto and have really enjoyed writing the Spaghetti for you guys and helping to plan events with the rest of the council.  When I first started writing the Spaghetti, I was a bit let down at the lack of reaction.  But then, you guys were posting pictures of the events I listed in the Spaghetti and even repeating back to me the same words that I wrote here. I think some people may have forgotten that it is me behind the screen :)  I got a lot of really nice compliments about the change from plain text to HTML and people started RSVPing by replying to the Spaghetti.  I was really happy to get all those emails and I sincerely thank you for all the positive responses I got. Though I will no longer be your secretary, I will still be around as the AJET Block 4 Representative and will be in communication with the new secretary to make sure that you get the latest info on AJET. You can always email me at sarah.stout@ajet.net.  Please welcome Chandre Davids as your new secretary! 

YETI and AJET news

----New 2013-2014 YETI Council----

We had a lot of participation in the voting process this year!  I sincerely hope that those of you who voted who rarely come to Yeti events will put forth the effort to coming to the new council's exciting events in the coming year! Without further adieu, the new council members are:

President - Fred DeCondappa
Treasurer- Wagner Soto
Secretary- Chandre Davids

and though he was elected last year, our reigning First Year Representative- Michael Martin

Here are their acceptance blurbs!

Chandre
This all comes as such a surprise! Who knew I had such a fan base out there (member count: 1...me.).
But all speeches aside, I'd like to thank the council of 2012-13 for their hard work - you guys did a great job of making the year a flurry of good times.
My name is Chandré and I'm currently a first year JET out in Fujiyoshida (representing for the non-JR train line. Fujikyuko line banzai!!). Needless to say I'm glad to be a part of the council and keep the tradition of bringing the Nash community together going. I look forward to working with everyone and forcing you all to read the Yeti Spaghetti I write."

Wagner
Hello everyone,
Thank you for your support and for allowing me to serve you as the new treasurer of the YETI council. I look forward to working with the council to provide all of you with the opportunity to experience the best that Yamanashi has to offer.

Fred
Hi,
Firstly, thank you everyone who voted in the YETI elections this year.
I am kinda excited to be president. Yet at the same time, kind of worried about whether I can do a good job. Thank god we have Mike, Chandre and Wagner to keep me from screwing it up.
Thanks to the outgoing council for the stellar job they have done and I look forward to repaying your faith in me by working hard with the rest of the council.
Here's to a great year ahead of us,
Fred
I am sure that they will all work hard to involve everyone and have enjoyable events this year.

----AJET eConnect ----
The new April eConnect is now online!  This month's magazine includes an interview with Miki Dezaki, a former Yamanashi ALT who has done quite popular youtube videos such as Sh*t Japanese Students Say, and Racism in Japan.  You can read the issue here: http://ajetnet.s3.amazonaws.com/connect/2013_April_Connect.pdf

eConnect is also looking for a new Travel Editor!  Here is the message from the Block 4 Facebook Group:

Good morning, Block 4! As your AJET Connect Magazine Travel Editor, I'm now preparing my final section for May's issue. Since I'll be finishing up JET in August, my travel editor spot will be vacant and we are looking for a travel-loving successor!

What do I do?
-prep/source/write 2-3 travel articles along with a section intro (8 ezine issues over the year).
-correspond with the AJET Online Publications Editor and other section editors.
-serve as an admin for Tatami Timeshare, the AJET Couchsurfing group.
-serve as the admin for this JET-setters Facebook group
-assist with Tokyo Orientation and After JET Conference Connect print issues as needed.
-answer random travel queries from JETs via email

Why is this an awesome volunteer position?
-You can talk travel virtually all the time!
-It's an opportunity to network with JETs around Japan,
-It's a chance to beef up your writing skills.
-You are able to support fellow JETs looking to travel.
-You can exchange travel tips across multiple media avenues.
-And yes, you get a nifty AJET email address

If this sounds like your cup of tea, shoot me an email at amelia.hagen@ajet.net. Happy to answer any questions! Feel free to contact our incoming AJET Online Publications Editor (and current Events Editor), Steven Thompson (steven.thompson@ajet.net), as well.

Events around Yamanashi

----Fuefuki Peach Blossom Festival and Battle Reenactment----
While many flowers are slowly dwindling out in this final weekend of the festival, the main draw (once a Yamanashi ALT favorite) is the Kawanakajima Battle Reenactment. This series of battles were fought between Takeda Shingen and his arch-rival Uesugi Kenshin over territorial control of the Shinano area (Nagano and Yamanashi).  The most well known in the series of battles was featured in movies and video games. Come and see the reenactment of this epic battle! 
If you look closely at the link, you can see pictures of former Yamanashi ALTs Erik Byers and Jimmy Bramante dressed in the soldier garb :)

Date: April 21st, Sunday
Time: 1:00pm~3:30pm but festivities will start around 11am
Admission: Free
Location: On the shore of Fuefuki River located behind Fuefuki City Hall

Map and more information in Japanese: http://www.fuefuki-kanko.jp/content/kawanakajima/

Events in and around Tokyo

In this issue, there are many notable events happening in Tokyo.  Many of them are listed in AJET's eConnect magazine so please also look there to get your fill of Tokyo events that are not already listed here :)

----Yokohama Street Performers Festival, April 20-21st----
A variety of street performers will show off their skills in the minato mirai area, while there are set areas for each type of performer, why not just wander around and sample a little bit of everything.  There will be clowns, magicians, samba dancers, acrobats and more!

Date: April 20-21
Time: 11am-5pm
Location: Minato Mirai21, Isezaki Mall and Yoshidamachi-dori (walkable from Sakuragi-cho station)
Admission: FREE!

More information in Japanese: http://daidogei.jp

----Mongolian Spring Festival----
A special Golden Week event, this festival will have traditional Mongolian dancing, food and wrestling!  You may have seen Mongolian wrestling on An Idiot Abroad recently, but rest assured, you won't have to see Karl Pilkington wrestle this time!
Date: May 4-5
Time: 11am-5pm

More information in Japanese: http://harumatsuri.net

----Sanja Matsuri 2013----
This festival is widely considered Tokyo's biggest and best traditional festival.  The festival got its start in 1312 and has been held at Sensoji ever since.  It draws in over a million visitors to Tokyo for the 3-day duration of the festival.  There are traditional dances, festival food and the highlight of the festival: the mikoshi parade.

Date: May 15-17
Time: May 15 from 1pm, May 16th from 11pm and May 17th from 6am
Sensoji/Asakusa jinja (Asakusa)  believe me, you will know if you are in the right place.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanja_Matsuri

----Beer Festivals/Oktoberfests in Tokyo----
Golden Week really starts to kick off more of the beer fesitvals featured in past Spaghettis.  So, instead of individually listing out detailed information, I will list some here with the dates.  Click on the links for more information!

Grand Biere 2013 (Roppongi) April 26-28
http://beertaster.org/gb/date/13/gb13.htm

Odaiba Oktoberfest (Odaiba) April 26-May 6
http://oktober-fest.jp/2013odaiba_spring/index.html

Keyaki Hiroba Beer Festival (Saitama Super Arena) May 16-19
http://beerkeyaki.jp/

Fun Stuff/Useful Stuff

---Fun Links----

MapCrunch: http://www.mapcrunch.com
Super fun but also frustrating and maddening game.  You are spawned in a random location and must find an airport. The game uses Google Street View to navigate by which makes it all the more interesting and frustrating.

Reasons My Son is Crying : http://reasonsmysoniscrying.tumblr.com/
This blog is both funny and controversial.  Show pictures of the blog owner's son crying and the reason why he is said to be crying.  Often has ludicrous reasons featuring kid-logic such as "I helped him put on a baseball glove", etc etc.  Whatever your take on it, there's sure to be many who feel the same.

Pusheen: http://www.pusheen.com
A partly-animated comic featuring an adorable adopted cat.   You can look at the animations of the cat as posted above or read the webcomic called Everyday Cute

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Yeti Spaghetti, April 16th, 2013
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »
Also, in addition to travel editor, the AJET eConnect is looking for new editors of many sections!  here's the message from the new editor of the eConnect:

Hello everyone! It's time for some multi-block bother-spam! Lend me your ears (if someone is reading Facebook to you. Otherwise, please take a look!)

AJET Connect magazine is looking for new section editors for the 2013-2014 year. We are currently looking for editors of the following sections:
--Events
--Culture
--Fashion
--Sports
--Travel
--Volunteering
--Entertainment

Our editors are what make Connect magazine what it is (amazingly amazing). Section editors reach out to contributors throughout Japan to bring new and interesting articles to the JET community each month, while helping those contributors write the best article they can!

You don't have to have previous experience in editorial work to apply! Just a fiery heart of passion, a good understanding of English grammar and writing, at least one superpower, and the motivation and knowhow to bring great content to the magazine! This is a great opportunity to get experience in the field, make great connections, and contribute to making the JET experience better for everyone.

If this sounds like your kind of thing, and you'd like more information about the positions, get in touch with me via Facebook or at steven.thompson@ajet.net

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:48:55 AM »
I'm planning on going to Kawanakajima-- sounds nifty.  :-D

Out of curiosity, why is this referred to as ''once a Yamanashi ALT favorite''? Has it changed in recent years?
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
I will also be at Kawanakajima, but I will be playing with the taiko group offering the 'background music' for some of the festvities. Should be a good time!
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:58 PM »
I'm planning on going to Kawanakajima-- sounds nifty.  :-D

Out of curiosity, why is this referred to as ''once a Yamanashi ALT favorite''? Has it changed in recent years?

ALTs (well, foreigners in general, I think) used to be allowed to join one of the regiments but I don't think that has happened since 2010.

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 01:37:11 PM »
A live battle reenactment with live taiko dramatic BGM - sounds like an epic afternoon.
I've still been going through the little bit that I learned at the practising I attended with you and Amanda. I want in on a taiko group~!!

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
I will also be at Kawanakajima, but I will be playing with the taiko group offering the 'background music' for some of the festvities. Should be a good time!

I will also be at Kawanakajima, but I will be watching Terra playing with rest of the taiko group as moral support, while I lament my broken body after the Yamathon.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 02:08:25 PM »
I do believe that foreigners are still allowed to join the reenactment but you basically need to have a connection with someone in the know.  Peeps working for the Fuefuki BOE should be able to get information about joining but I imagine it is too late at this point.  I think interested parties would have to get in contact months before the actual event. 

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:20:37 PM »
In the past there have been 2 schools in the area that have some connection to the festival and their ALTs would be invited to participate (and then said ALTs would try to convince their schools to let a few more foreigners join them group). One year, we managed to put together all a foreigner only regiment but that effort was spearheaded by an ALT in the area with fluent Japanese who figured out and followed the procedures necessary to put together that sort of thing. I still have our group picture floating around somewhere. I am pretty sure anyone can participate if they apply early enough and pay for their spot. Definitely way to late at this point though.

It's the same for the Shingen-ko festival.  You cay pay about 6000 to 15000yen depending on the outfit/position to dress up as a warrior and join the parade.  You just have to do it in like.....January.

Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 02:24:58 PM »

I will also be at Kawanakajima, but I will be watching Terra playing with rest of the taiko group as moral support, while I lament my broken body after the Yamathon.

ahahaha, YOSH!!
Kaicho said he won't even be there so no worries about being 'in trouble.'
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »

ahahaha, YOSH!!
Kaicho said he won't even be there so no worries about being 'in trouble.'

a'3u4[32'jaljf'asdf'o!!!

Oh well. His guilt-trip mind trick worked. I'm going.

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
Just a heads up, the Fuefuki peach blossoms have pretty much already come and gone as we've had a warmer than usual spring. Although it sounds like that doesn't matter so much as most of you seem to be more interested in the battle reenactment.

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
Sarah,

Thanks for the awesome Spaghetti!  My wife and I have done many things based on your suggestions in the newsletter.  Sad to see you go!

-Andy&Emily

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 03:18:13 PM »
Yay guys, the battle reenactment seems like good fun even just to watch.  I actually have never been, it's just terrible timing for me for one reason or another, I guess.

Thanks for the compliment, Andy & Emily.  I really appreciate it!  I'm sure Chandre will continue to keep you in the loop when it comes to events :-D