Author Topic: Yakkan Shomei Medical form Question  (Read 2623 times)

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Yakkan Shomei Medical form Question
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
I have a question about importing medication to Japan. I understand that we are only allowed to bring in one month supply of prescription medication and two month supply for non-prescription without filling in the Yakkan Shomei medical form. I will be bringing in a pair of RGP lenses (hard lenses), which last for more than a year. I will also need to bring in contact lens eye solution for cleaning (About 8 bottles to last me a year). Unlike soft lenses, hard lenses solutions are harder to come by (there is a specific brand and type I use). My question is, do we need to fill out a Yakkan Shomei medical form for bringing in contact lens solutions? I don't  know if it is considered a "medicine".

Thanks for your help!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Yakkan Shomei Medical form Question
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
Were you planning on shipping it to yourself or bringing it over in your luggage?

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:08 AM »
I was planning to bring it in my luggage. :-D

kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
Hi Karen,

Ahh, the Yakkan Shomei... I remember what a pain that was to fill out. I brought over a year's worth of my contacts, as well, but I didn't need to mention my lens solution. May I ask what brand of solution you use? I brought 2 different kinds from the States with me, and I ended up finding one of them (which I thought would be impossible to get outside of the U.S.) here in Japan. I wish now that I hadn't brought over so many toiletries because many identical or near-identical products are available here, and I could have saved a lot of luggage space if I hadn't lugged so many unnecessary things over.

This may just be my experience, but nobody at Narita asked to see my medication or the Yakkan Shomei, so I ended up feeling really silly for making a big deal about the paperwork and trying to make it perfect. I guess there's always the chance that you'll get someone at customs who's really anal and wants to go through all of your luggage, but in my case, I got through immigration in a couple minutes.  :-D
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
Let us know what solution you use and maybe a few volunteers can look around and see if it's available here or if there is an equivalent.  Seems like a hassle to bring a years supply with you.

I've brought well over one months worth of a few medications on several occasions.....with no Yakkan Shomei.  8-)  I've never had my bags checked when entering Japan before so it's never been an issue.  If you have the time, fill out the forms and what not, but don't stress over it!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:04:43 PM »
I also have never had my bags checked to any real extent and I've been through Narita atleast 20 times.
I would say if you are shipping stuff, it is going to be a lot stricter.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »
Hi Karen,

You would only need to fill out a yakkan shomei if you are bringing more than 2 months worth of disposable contact lenses.  Since you're bringing a single pair of lenses, you do not need this form.  Even though they can be used for one year, it is not their aim to take away one pair of lenses and it is perfectly legal, the problem would be if you are bringing a large QUANTITY.  Nothing is mentioned about that on the government website so I simply don't think it is an issue. 

http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html

If you read the website, it seems like the government is mostly looking out for quantity of products, likely, they don't want foreigners selling foreign products within Japan.  I think that is more of the issue here. 

They make no mention of contact lens solution but I don't believe it is considered a prescription medication here in Japan.  I can buy regular soft lens solution in any drug store over the counter.  Obviously, quantity is still the issue here.  They may count it as a "cosmetic product" which allows you to bring in up to 24 of a single product, so 8 bottles wouldn't be too much.  I looked at the Japanese version of the site as well and it makes no mention specifically of contact solution.  But, to give you a frame of reference, toothpaste and deodorant are counted as "cosmetic products".

Also, yeah let us know what type you are using as it may be available here.  It might be a long shot, but you might be surprised.  Contacts are widely used here.

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 07:43:53 AM »
First of all, I wanted to say thank you for everyone's detailed responses. They were all very helpful to me and definitely makes me feel more relieved.   ^-^

The brand that I use is the Bausch & Lomb Boston Simplus Multi-Action Solution. They cost around $10.50 + tax in Canada. You can see a picture of it here: http://www.bausch.ca/en_CA/consumer/visioncare/product/gpcare/bostonsimplus.aspx

If someone on this forum finds it in Japan drugstores, then I will probably bring in half a year's worth (4 bottles) to save luggage space. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like it's considered a 'medical' item, so I guess it would be safe to bring a year's worth over. Again, thank you for your help! I really appreciate it!

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:16:45 AM »
A quick search showed these:
http://www.bausch.co.jp/product/lens_care03.html

Considering it is the same company, I actually think one of these might be your equivalent.  They might not have the same names, a lot of things don't have exactly the same name here in Japan as they do abroad.

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:08 AM »
Hmm... as long as it's for Rigid Gas Permeable Lenses, it should be okay. I'm just iffy on using something different since a pair of lenses cost $300 Canadian.

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 09:30:35 AM »
Just a reminder, most people get care packages sent.  My sweet mother sends me packages whenever I need something and I just pay her for the purchase and the postage.  This includes deodorant, nyquil, toothpaste with fluoride, tums, and whatever else I need at the time.  During Spring she would send over-the-counter allergy meds and during summer I would get extra supplies of deodorant... With the lack of AC and the heat here its easy to understand why.  I can usually pick up 4-6 months supply of things like this and some treats (skittles and Jolly Ranchers other candies not sold here)for 30-40 bucks.  Not sure about the laws involved with this, but its not been a problem at all in the last 4 years and I don't see why it would be for anyone else.  And lets be honest, no one is going to jail for contact solution or deodorant, so I wouldn't sweat the rules on benign things like this to the point of worry.  I think Kelloggs is right, you don't need to pack a years worth of all the products you are used to, but you can have them sent as the years roll by.   

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
Hmm... as long as it's for Rigid Gas Permeable Lenses, it should be okay. I'm just iffy on using something different since a pair of lenses cost $300 Canadian.

Fair enough.

The second type (called Super cleaner) says in Japanese that cannot be used with oxygen permeable lenses with surface treatment
and the third (Super cleaner advanced) says it can be used with all oxygen permeable lenses with or without surface treatment.  The third says the same.

You can look into buying it and shipping it or having your parents ship it to you if you'd like.  Liquids generally aren't allowed to be shipped by individuals but some companies can.  You might be able to find websites that cater to expats living in Japan who will also sell you the specific brand.  Also, once you get here, you can grab a Japanese speaking friend and head to a shop specializing in contact lenses and they can tell you specifically what you can and cant use, especially if you bring all the info from your contacts with you.

shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
The Boston solutions aren't available in Japan (I used to use them when I had RGP lenses). However, from the link that karta posted, it looks like the first one (O2 all in one) might be similar if you're using the Boston all in one solution.  (Directions say when removing the lenses to rub in 3-4 drops of the solution before placing in the case. When applying the lenses, rinse and wear...)
My general recommendation for toiletries of any kind is that if you're particularly attached to something, bring a couple so that you have enough to last until you're settled/figure out how to work the drug store, as compatible products are generally available.  And if you can't find a brand that you like, have someone mail it over.

I regularly had solution shipped to me my first year as my mom had bought a huge lot of it on Ebay, so she'd just throw a bottle in whenever she shipped me a box.  My brand (optifree) is readily available in Japan though, so I just buy it here now.
Most of the liquids that are restricted are things like booze or flammable/otherwise hazardous liquids.  For other stuff the only requirement seems to be that they're shipped so that they don't leak. But check with your post office on any of that if you're unsure.

And Coleman's right... most of us get shipments from home. I've been here 6 years and my mom still sends boxes with deodorant and such a few times a year.  Never had any issues getting anything through.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
The Boston solutions aren't available in Japan (I used to use them when I had RGP lenses). However, from the link that karta posted, it looks like the first one (O2 all in one) might be similar if you're using the Boston all in one solution.  (Directions say when removing the lenses to rub in 3-4 drops of the solution before placing in the case. When applying the lenses, rinse and wear...)
My general recommendation for toiletries of any kind is that if you're particularly attached to something, bring a couple so that you have enough to last until you're settled/figure out how to work the drug store, as compatible products are generally available.  And if you can't find a brand that you like, have someone mail it over.

I regularly had solution shipped to me my first year as my mom had bought a huge lot of it on Ebay, so she'd just throw a bottle in whenever she shipped me a box.  My brand (optifree) is readily available in Japan though, so I just buy it here now.
Most of the liquids that are restricted are things like booze or flammable/otherwise hazardous liquids.  For other stuff the only requirement seems to be that they're shipped so that they don't leak. But check with your post office on any of that if you're unsure.

And Coleman's right... most of us get shipments from home. I've been here 6 years and my mom still sends boxes with deodorant and such a few times a year.  Never had any issues getting anything through.

I would suggest just not mentioning what it is.  I tried to ship non-alcohol mouthwash back home when I was visiting the US (i wanted to send it back to Japan) and the post office told me that it is not a "waterproof container" and thus would not ship it.  The less information you give, the better.
They WILL argue this point with you if you give them the chance, lol.  Buying online for anything doesn't generally seem to be a problem, though.  I buy liquid cosmetics online on a fairly regular basis.  JP post has declared war on shipping electronics, though :|

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 11:42:35 AM »

I would suggest just not mentioning what it is.  I tried to ship non-alcohol mouthwash back home when I was visiting the US (i wanted to send it back to Japan) and the post office told me that it is not a "waterproof container" and thus would not ship it.  The less information you give, the better.
They WILL argue this point with you if you give them the chance, lol.  Buying online for anything doesn't generally seem to be a problem, though.  I buy liquid cosmetics online on a fairly regular basis.  JP post has declared war on shipping electronics, though :|

My mother sends aerosol cans and BBQ sauces in liquid form all the time.  She just writes on the package that its toothpaste and skittles pretty much every box.  Never been a problem.  And she never mentions medication.  If you do you're just asking for it to be stopped.

KarenKYHo

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the translation! It seems like the first one (02 all in one) is a good substitute. I will bring that to my optometrist appointment next month and see if it's a good match. I will probably end up bringing a year's worth as I am only planning to stay in JET for one year. Thanks for all your detailed responses, past experiences, and advice!  ^-^