Author Topic: Ideas/advice for teaching materials  (Read 470 times)

catglen

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Ideas/advice for teaching materials
« on: May 29, 2013, 07:14:52 AM »
Hey everyone,

I am coming to Yamanashi with JET and will most likely be placed in high school. I have never worked with high school aged kids and wanted some advice on what to bring with me from America to make their learning experience more fun! I have music for them to listen to, a few posters about America, newspapers....

I was planning on just bringing very small items (so i could actually fit them in my luggage), but today I went to the mayor's office and they gave me lots of things to bring (all quite heavy and very nice) and then told me they may be able to find a company who will pay for me to ship a box of teaching items and gifts to Japan! Needless to say I was very shocked and very excited!

So...any ideas on what I should bring?? :-D

-Catherine

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
Re: Ideas/advice for teaching materials
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 09:18:30 AM »
Bring cool stamps.  I have a pig stamp that the kids like... but I want a bacon one... gotta look around I guess for that.  Also, random prizes for game days and what not.   ^-^

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 09:29:40 AM »
Yeah also if you can manage to bring a crap load of ENGLISH based stickers.  That would be good.  Kids love it since they try to read it.

GO to staples or target and try to find as much English word stickers that says GOOD JOB! Hooray! Aim for the top!   I ran out of mine =(

Also I would try and bring mini versions of scrabble or even boggle to Japan.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »
Music is good! I use songs fairly often in my lessons. Also photos! I find that I am often searching for photos to use in presentations, so lots of photos that show what life is like back home is great.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.