Author Topic: YETI Spaghetti 05/29/2013  (Read 1166 times)

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
YETI Spaghetti 05/29/2013
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:29:38 PM »
The Long Awaited Arrival - 2013/05/29

Hello esteemed YETIzens! This is Chandré, reporting from Fujiyoshida with the first (and “much anticipated” i.e. late!) edition of the bi-weekly Spaghetti newsletter for the YETI council of 2013-14. The fast approaching rainy season reminds us that soon we’ll be saying goodbye to many of our community as they end their time in Japan. I don’t know about you all, but I’m already feeling choked up. In order to fight the bye-bye blues, the Spaghetti  has a few things to help keep you busy over the next month (yay beer festivals!). So without further ado...

--YETI and AJET news--

> SAYONARA PARTY 2013 - Save the Date!
This is an important one. Write it on your calendars in pencil, ballpoint pen, quill, jackhammer...
Date: Saturday, July 13th - Sunday, July 14th

THEME!!!: Undecided. The Council has been brainstorming, but we’re asking you to throw your ideas into the mix. Email your ideas to me at spaghetti.yamamama@gmail.com, or feel free to PM me on the forum.
To allow for a decent amount of time to get your creative juices flowing in preparation for the party, the deadline for suggestions is JUNE 13th. The council will deliberate and announce the final decision soon after.
Please check the forum for further information: http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=8933.0

> AJET Block 4 and ShizAJET
If you haven’t joined these groups, why not now? Get to know what going on with our neighbours and support our lovely former YETI secretary, Sarah Stout!
- AJET Block 4 Facebook Groups: http://www.facebook.com/groups/ajetblock4/
- Shizuoka AJET official website: http://www.shizajet.com/

Also, in case you missed it, the May edition of the AJET Connect can be read here:
http://ajetnet.s3.amazonaws.com/connect/2013_May_Connect.pdf

-- Events around Yamanashi --

> MANYO SONG AND FIREFLY FESTIVAL
This festival is a full day of a variety of musical and cultural performances on top of all the usual festival food and other affairs we all know and love. Last year’s festival saw some of our ALT community getting prettied up as Heian aristocracy and reading poetry. For the firefly viewing, the park will turn off all the lights so that we can enjoy the fireflies in all their natural shining beauty.

Date: June 7th - June 9th
Time: not specified as yet, but I see that they are looking for musical performances from mid-morning straight through to the evening.
Location: Manriki Park (the same location as the YETI Undoukai). A short walk from Yamanashi-shi station.
Admission: Free

-- Events  around Tokyo --

> KOMAZAWA OKTOBERFEST 2013

I don’t like beer, but I appreciate and value its existence. This festival is a bit quieter than most as, admittedly, it is somewhat out of the way - but if you’re willing to make the trip out, it shouldn’t disappoint. As an added bonus, and to help you get in the German feel of things, there will be rental traditional German attire! But only to women...

Date: May 31 - June 9th
Time: 16:00 - 22:00 (Weekdays); and 11:00 - 22:00 (Weekends)
Location: Komazawa Olympic Park Central Square (12 minutes walk from Komazawa-daigaku station)
Admission: Free

> YAMANOTE SEN NEW LOCAL RAMEN CHAMPIONSHIP

“Ramen of the people, by the people, for the people.” (That was not my idea.)
The JR Yamanote line might bring memories of agonising pain to all my fellow Yamathoners, but the time of  vengeance for our muscles is at hand! Until the end of August, participating ramen shops around the Yamanote line will be battling it out to win the hearts and stomachs of the hungry with their original ramen recipes.The goal: to create a new Tokyo-style ramen.

If you find yourself in Tokyo, why not see what is on offer and vote online for your favourite. You can find the location and a photo of the ramen on offer on the site (warning: DO NOT LOOK AT THIS WHEN YOU’RE HUNGRY!!!) There are coupons and several competitions for voters to be found there as well.
Official website:http://www.ramenbank.com/yamanotesen/ (Japanese)

Date: Until August 31st, 2013
Price: From 700 - 1000 yen depending on the store

> “All You Need Is Love - From Chagall to Kusama and Hatsune Miku” Roppongi Hills and Mori Art Museum 10th Anniversary Exhibition

Time to get artsy - and who doesn’t have a love and/or hate relationship with love  and/or hate? Even if you are apathetic, it’s a learning experience. And you can get involved in the exhibition by submitting your “love” related photos (danger danger!) to one of the artists.  Taken from the website, the exhibition is described as:
“Via around 200 works ranging from celebrated contributions to art history, to ambitious new works, the exhibition explores love in its myriad forms - starting romantic love, extending to love of family, and love of mankind. Possessed of a complexity that causes it to occasionally stray into the realms of hatred and jealousy, love also has the ability to transcend conflict of every sort. The exhibition will present renowned works depicting love in its many manifestations, including the new kinds of bond we forge in today's internet - connected world.”

Official Website: http://www.mori.art.museum/english/contents/love/index.html
Exhibition date: Until September 1st, 2013
Time: 10:00 - 22:00
Price: 1500 yen
Location: Mori Art Museum (53F, Roppongi Hills Mori Tower  - 0min. walk from Roppongi Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line (Roppongi Hills exit) - 4 min. walk from Roppongi Station on the Toei Oedo Line)

-- JET information --

> JET Programme Japanese Language Courses

A reminder to those who are considering taking the 2013 - 2014 Japanese Language Courses, the deadline to submit the application forms to your supervisor is 2nd July 2013 for the CLAIR Beginner/ Intermediate / Advanced courses.
All the relevant course information and documentation can be found on the JET programme website: http://www.jetprogramme.org/e/course/jet_english_data/course_index.html

-- Fun Stuff!!--

1. Life Hack Ninja
A fairly new site, but it has answers. For example,  “How to speed read like  Good Will Hunting” and “12 Tips on how to easily manipulate people”...muhaha.
http://lifehackninja.com/

2. The Worst Room
A blog about finding affordable housing in New York City - to remind you that you could always have it worse. Although some of these "worst rooms" actually hold a lot of potential! No seriously! You just need an eye for it. Is that just me?
http://www.worstroom.com/

3. Dogs with Eyebrows
Yep. http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/dog%20with%20eyebrows

And that brings us to the end of this edition. If you have any suggestions on exciting events (the kind you won’t find in the brochures), please feel free to let me know! Also...if you’re feeling mischievous, might I suggest going around and pressing Ctrl + Alt + ↓. Pressing any of the directional keys should flip the display on your monitor in that direction...it's amusing to see the panic.  ^-^
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:45:28 PM by Shandi »

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: YETI Spaghetti 05/29/2013
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
Nice first edition Shandi... Now, if we could get the next one on time....  :-P kidding. 

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
 :cry: I'm sorry!  :cry: :cry: No really I am. Sarah...you are a double hero in my eyes.

Also, I had to go and edit out the excessive amount of exclamation points...I was sounding like a chihuahua on redbull. <sigh>

Say nothing.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:22:16 PM »
Chandre, as you can see by looking at the dates, I was rarely on time  :oops:

Also, before April, I was working without a computer at my main school, making it pretty difficult to get them out on the same day if I had ANYTHING going on.  Don't worry about it :)

I got loads of crap coming to hit you in the e-mail face with awesome (maybe) starting next week, haha.  I apologize in advance for all the AJET stuff you'll have to read from now on.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
Nice first edition Shandi... Now, if we could get the next one on time....  :-P kidding.

i think she's already almost caught up to Erik in total number of issues printed though isn't she?

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »

i think she's already almost caught up to Erik in total number of issues printed though isn't she?

We never did get an article about anal sex in Japan from him. Disappointing.

Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 09:31:11 PM »
I got loads of crap coming to hit you in the e-mail face with awesome (maybe) starting next week, haha.  I apologize in advance for all the AJET stuff you'll have to read from now on.
No worries Sarah. My body is READY!

We never did get an article about anal sex in Japan from him. Disappointing.

I'm catching a subtle hint, and I'm not giving a definite no...
Although it would probably only be from the perspective of rabid fangirls and explicit yaoi fandoms.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »
Any events around Tokyo in regards to US Independence Day? Or any festivals in general this coming up weekend?  Ill be in Tokyo and want to make a weekend out of it.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.