Author Topic: Stereotypes & The Simpsons (Powerpoint)  (Read 3693 times)

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
Stereotypes & The Simpsons (Powerpoint)
« on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:21 PM »
(PP 2010 / .pptx)https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0Bz3FieH5lyiUUU81c0FXc0VJNW8
(Word 2010/ .docx) https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0Bz3FieH5lyiUeHM2U1BiZFdLRkk

I don't know how many people use Powerpoint here, but I'm doing a lesson right now that combines a discussion on stereotypes with The Simpsons. There's no Japanese translation for the word "stereotype", so depending on the level of the class, JTE support might be pretty important.  I'm enjoying the lesson quite a bit so I've attached it below. The slides are very light on text (slide 3 is more for the teacher), so the lesson is all about asking questions and getting students to contribute their thoughts etc. I usually address things like sexism and racism at the start of the lesson, but after that the lesson is relatively light-hearted. Asking the students about stereotypes of people from Osaka and Tokyo is pretty decent way of framing the issue in a mild Japanese context. I give the students the worksheet when I reach slide 14, so that they can see the examples. It's definitely best to establish some of the (Irish/American/Japanese) stereotypes that show up in the videos before you play them. Also, slides 18 and 23 are less relevant bonus clips, but they're funny and establish continuity. Slide 15 should probably be changed to a video of The Simpsons ripping the piss out of whatever country you're from. An equivalent to that Irish clip might be hard to find though, it's bursting with stereotypical imagery. It was also crystal clear in my classes because I had already greatly stereotyped Ireland myself when I talked about it (oops). After the Powerpoint, I get the students to talk and work together on their worksheets. Then they share their ideas with the class, things like:

"Japanese people all wear glasses"
"Foreigners are bad people"
"Women are very nice"
"Men have power"

Slides. 5, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21 and 23 are videos. They won't skip forward/return to a point so wait until they have stopped moving before hitting any button (17, 18 and 19 are intended to be shown continuously).

I left the last box on the worksheet open for whatever group the student would like to talk about.

Oh yeah, and I was desperate to finish the lesson prep after the mind-numbing video search, so the the character selection is a bit random. I'm even missing Apu, he definitely deserves a place there.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:01:23 PM by Karurosu »

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Stereotypes & The Simpsons (Powerpoint)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
Thanks, Carlos!  I got your email and downloaded it but these direct download links don't seem to work.  Perhaps you just need to share them in google drive to those who want it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:12:52 AM by karta »

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
Hmmm, they work for me when I'm logged out of my Google account...anyone else?

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
I dont have powerpoint so couldnt try that one but the word one works fine.
Thanks
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:25:55 PM »
As a side note, I just asked my female co-worker about what she thinks a stereotypical x is like:

"Women? Weak, always talking for hours, a bit stupid..."

Laughed my ass off!

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
As a side note, I just asked my female co-worker about what she thinks a stereotypical x is like:

Laughed my ass off!

This makes me so sad... -_-

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 10:36:06 PM »
I downloaded the powerpoint presentation and there are no videos. It is 91mb which may be a bit small??

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 11:14:26 PM »

Laughed my ass off!

The interesting thing is that she's a strong, confident, funny, smart person.
It was more like her bite at what she thinks of "the weak japanese woman" that she thinks need to get of their asses and do something about the sexism in this country.

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:40 PM »
I downloaded the powerpoint presentation and there are no videos. It is 91mb which may be a bit small??

The videos are there, but you might not have the right codecs or something. The file sizes are pretty small. They're .PS files, aka MPEG-PS.

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:54 PM »

Laughed my ass off!

The interesting thing is that she's a strong, confident, funny, smart person.
It was more like her bite at what she thinks of "the weak japanese woman" that she thinks need to get of their asses and do something about the sexism in this country.

I think I've heard "women are weak" listed in every class, but I certainly see it as a positive because the students are identifying the belief as a stereotype.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »

Men can get off their asses and do something about it, too. But I suppose that is a discussion for another thread XD

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:41:28 AM »
Looks like a fun class. It makes me miss teaching HS

There's no Japanese translation for the word "stereotype"

My dictionary/translator must be lying to me?

固定観念 (こていかんねん)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:43:38 AM by LozZz »

Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 01:00:57 PM »
Yeah, apparently that also means something like prejudice and/or preconceived notion. I don't know, I asked about it and a couple of my co-workers said that they'd rather use the kanafied English word because it wasn't quite the same thing, but maybe it is. I'm certainly no expert.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
Looks like a fun class. It makes me miss teaching HS

There's no Japanese translation for the word "stereotype"

My dictionary/translator must be lying to me?

固定観念 (こていかんねん)

I had to use a Japanese grammar point the other day that used 固定観念 as a word but in the book, I had to explain the word.  My Japanese teacher said I needed to use ステレオタイプ as the explanation so I think that is what most Japanese people think of?  She said stereotype is more often used as a word than 固定観念 , though.