Author Topic: English <-> Japanese dictionary for Android phones  (Read 655 times)

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
English <-> Japanese dictionary for Android phones
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
I'd like to download a dictionary/translator app for my android phone now that I have brutally freed up some space on my phone.
In your experience, what have you used and how accurate has it been?

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
Re: English <-> Japanese dictionary for Android phones
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:20:20 PM »
as far as dictionaries, i like JED a lot. type it in english or in romaji, the kanji and the kana readings will come up, with definitions, and in the case of kanji words, they break down each of the kanji into what character it is separately and you can go to the entry on that kanji to learn stroke order and stuff. you can look kanji up by radicals, which i'm not very good at but that's because i never actually learned a damn thing about kanji other than memorizing them as pictographs.

as far as translation though, it doesn't do that, it's just a solid dictionary

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: English <-> Japanese dictionary for Android phones
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »
as far as dictionaries, i like JED a lot. type it in english or in romaji, the kanji and the kana readings will come up, with definitions, and in the case of kanji words, they break down each of the kanji into what character it is separately and you can go to the entry on that kanji to learn stroke order and stuff. you can look kanji up by radicals, which i'm not very good at but that's because i never actually learned a damn thing about kanji other than memorizing them as pictographs.

as far as translation though, it doesn't do that, it's just a solid dictionary

I second JED. Being able to type in romaji and results coming up while typing are nice points (when compared with other dictionaries that don't do/allow these things). Good for quick word checks. Kanji search by radical is also pretty useful if you don't know the reading well enough to find it that way.