Author Topic: High School Speech Conest  (Read 1411 times)

Offline Russai

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Russai's devinatART
High School Speech Conest
« on: July 04, 2013, 05:34:27 PM »
I'm starting to prepare my speech writing lesson plans for the contest after the Summer. Does anyone have a copy of the speeches from last year Yamanashi event, or even just the topics/titles of each one?

Just want to give the students an idea of what was used last year.

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
Re: High School Speech Conest
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »
Good thing its not a spelling contest eh.  Conest

But I think I remember the topic still being Billy Elliot, but I could be wrong
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

I think it's also a good thing that it's not a punctuation contest. It's.

8-)

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 01:02:36 PM »
I'm starting to prepare my speech writing lesson plans for the contest after the Summer. Does anyone have a copy of the speeches from last year Yamanashi event, or even just the topics/titles of each one?

Just want to give the students an idea of what was used last year.

I have all of the topics/titles/speeches.  I don't have them on my computer yet, but I'll type up the titles and put them up here.

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 10:01:15 AM »
OK, here is the list of all the speeches.  I found where the scanner is in our school so I'm going to try and scan all the speeches in a bit. 

---

2012 – Yamanashi Prefecture Speech Contest Speech List

Oceania in Six Days
The Price of Justice
The Power of Smiles
Etiquette
The Rewards of Work
My Life, My Stage
Moving Forward: Modest Change  (1st Place)
On My Way to English
Food, Health and My Dream
A Healing Piece
Because It Is There
The True Meaning of Hometown (3rd Place)
The First Step Toward World Peace
Open Up Your Eyes (2nd Place)
My Friend or Enemy?
The Words On My Bookshelf (2nd Place)
Family Connections
Kelekele
The Art of Communication
Not So Different
Be More Active
Finding the Purpose Behind My Passion
Getting My Voice Heard
Peace Begins With Me
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 11:24:07 AM by Gman776 »

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »
OK, and here are all the speeches from last year, all in one handy dandy PDF.   :-D  Now, If anybody remembers who won, that would be some information that I would really like to know.  I couldn't stick around for the whole competition last year, so not really sure which speeches took home the prizes.  :oops:

EDIT:  I consulted with some of the other English teachers here and they are pretty sure that the winners from last year's speech contest were the following: First Place - Kofu-minami High School (speech #7 - Modest Change).  Second place - Ichikawa (speech #14 - Open Up Your Eyes) and Yamanashi Gakuin (speech #16 - The Words on My Bookshelf).

Please correct me if I'm wrong (also if you know who won third place, by all means, please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:55:26 AM by Gman776 »

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:08:11 AM »
Thanks gman for all that stuff!!!

I think Showa high school also placed somewhere in the top...
B

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
OK, and here are all the speeches from last year, all in one handy dandy PDF.   :-D  Now, If anybody remembers who won, that would be some information that I would really like to know.  I couldn't stick around for the whole competition last year, so not really sure which speeches took home the prizes.  :oops:

EDIT:  I consulted with some of the other English teachers here and they are pretty sure that the winners from last year's speech contest were the following: First Place - Kofu-minami High School (speech #7 - Modest Change).  Second place - Ichikawa (speech #14 - Open Up Your Eyes) and Yamanashi Gakuin (speech #16 - The Words on My Bookshelf).

Please correct me if I'm wrong (also if you know who won third place, by all means, please let me know.

Yoshida (my school) got third place in both the recitation and speech contest!  8-) My second-year girl was speech #12-- The True Meaning of Hometown. I'm still so proud of those munchkins...

I won't know who's going to the speech contest until September, but I can already say that Yoshida will rock it this year, too. That's right-- I'm throwing down the gauntlet!!  :-D

How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2013, 11:26:19 AM »
Apparently they changed the dates for the speech contest this year so now it overlaps with my school's 2nd year school trip to Okinawa.  So nobody is going to enter...  just doing recitation contest this year, and we already started our school wide contests  :mrgreen:  I seriously want to get one of my kids into one of those tops spots   :evil:

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 12:07:27 PM »
This year I've realised a lot of it is down to luck of the draw in what students you get at your school (which isn't to downplay those who work hard).
There seem to be two or three firsties at my school who would stand a very good chance even without much training, its  sad that only one can enter, hope they make the right choice.

The winner of the speech contest last year was that girl talking about how people should be proud to be Japanese. Can't remember what school.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 12:12:36 PM »
This year I've realised a lot of it is down to luck of the draw in what students you get at your school (which isn't to downplay those who work hard).
There seem to be two or three firsties at my school who would stand a very good chance even without much training, its  sad that only one can enter, hope they make the right choice.

The winner of the speech contest last year was that girl talking about how people should be proud to be Japanese. Can't remember what school.

It definitely is a lot about what kind of students you get.  The girl who entered in the Recitation contest last year has been practicing really hard and was our choice to enter the speech contest this year already, but with the schedule change, everything got screwed.

Really not sure about the prospects this year, but I've got a few students this year with experience in acting, so hopefully that will translate over to their recitations... but this Fly Away Home recitation for this year is almost as boring as last year's Billy Elliot.  Seriously, how do the judges stay awake? Do they have a fucking Red Bull sponsorship??

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 01:05:54 PM »
I feel like this one is more boring actually. At least last year's had some decent parts for dialogues.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »

I think it's also a good thing that it's not a punctuation contest. It's.

8-)

Oh Conor, promise me you'll still post on the forum sometimes after you leave.  :-D

OK, and here are all the speeches from last year, all in one handy dandy PDF.   :-D 

Thanks Gman! This is going to prove most useful in my attempt to overthrow Kelloggs' evil reign. You better watch your back Yoshida HS, Kawako is sitting right on your borders ready to strike!

To me, this year's recitation actually has a lot more potential for an expressive performance. Billy Eliot was really...awkward. Of course, getting my kids to get out of their polite reading style is going to be a task...