Author Topic: Travelling to Aomori  (Read 662 times)

Offline Shandi

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
Travelling to Aomori
« on: July 12, 2013, 10:42:19 AM »
Hi again guys. Another question, this time about transport.

I've been snooping around the web trying to find ways to Aomori at the best price. Trains are...ridiculous, so I was thinking about a bus journey. The only things I can find is a nightbus from Tokyo, and a day highway bus from Ueno station. As I'm out in Fujiyoshida, is there anything a little closer to home? Like from Kofu? I'm still looking around, but I was wondering if anyone out there has some time-saving knowledge.
Thanks!

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling to Aomori
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »
I'm pretttty sure there's a bus that goes to Sendai and Yamagata from Yamanashi.  Maybe even from Fuji-Q. that could get you most of the way.

http://www.bushikaku.net/  is a good site.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »
Everytime I've been to Aomori I've left from Tokyo (with the exception of the time I stopped on my way home from Sapporo).   

Here's all the highway buses that leave from our area (Yosh/Kawaguchko): http://bus.fujikyu.co.jp/highw/sh01.html   None of them go up to that area though.

I despise long rides on the night bus, so the time I took the bus I did one from Shinjuku to Morioka, then just took local trains to my destination (Hirosaki), and used a Seishun 18 ticket to do that. There's one little bit of track leading out of Morioka that isn't JR on that route though, so you have to pay a little extra (I think it was like 600 yen?). I was in the middle of a Seishun 18 ticket journey around Tohoku at the time though, so I did enough running around to make the cost of the Seishun worth it (it's 11,500 yen).  It'll also depend on what part of Aomori you're looking to go to. Some parts have really poor public transport... (ie the Shimokita peninsula), so I rented a car when I was up in that area.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 01:08:32 PM by shneen »

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
I have a friend living in Aomori and she usually flies (I think) but she took the bus the last time she went to Tokyo for like 5000 yen.  She just takes the cheapest seat but she gave me the site and I've been thinking of going and taking the more premium seats since I cant sleep on buses in general.  Take a look, it might be helpful.  Leaves from Tokyo, though
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/bus/route/calendar.php?oR=1300007&fR=2300007&off=1

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 05:20:02 PM »
I don't know about your timing/price constraints, but look up the seishun juhachi kippu and see if that works for you.