Author Topic: Tokyo Orientation Dinners 2013  (Read 5495 times)

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Tokyo Orientation Dinners 2013
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:47:29 AM »
Hey everyone, so with people leaving it is a sad time to see them leave on their new adventures abroad.

On the other hand, it also means that new people are coming to the ken and so let’s meet up with the new JETs in Tokyo for a meet and greet dinner in Shinjuku.

*** VENUE CHANGE - Details have been amended accordingly ****

When :  Group A – Tuesday 30th July, Group B – Tuesday 6th August
Where : Meet in the lobby of the Keio Plaza hotel at 6.30pm and take the metro/walk to the restaurant, which is in Roppongi at 6.30pm.
Gonapchi, 1 chome-13-11, Nishiazabu, Minato, Tokyo, Japan
http://goo.gl/maps/nQRIn

The restaurant :
http://www.gonpachi.jp/nishiazabu/?lang=en
The restaurant is the restaurant that inspired this scene in Kill Bill and is inside an old fortress.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jhTRqgTZSM
Budget about 1500 yen for food. Drinks and desserts will bump that up though, although we could always buy some beers from the combini and pre-game. We’re kinda classy like that.

For the noobs : By our reckoning, Tuesday night is the embassy night for most nationalities apart from Americans and Canadians. Hence this is the best night for us to take you all out for a meal, then back to Shinjuku and possible karaoke afterwards. It’s a great opportunity to meet people who will be your future neighbours too! Some of you may not be able to confirm until you get to Tokyo, but the sooner you can let us know, the easier it’ll be for the restaurant to work with us! 

So, if you want to join either or both dinners, let me know. I need to give the restaurant a better of idea of numbers by the Friday before.

RSVPS Group A

Alejandra
Amanda M
Amanda R
Andy Schneider
Catherine
Charlie
Fred
Hang
Jeremy
Jon Rasson
Katrina (Maybe)
Kev Neese
Megan
Nathan
Sara W
Sarah S (Karaoke?)

RSVPS Group B

Fred
Hang
Amanda M?
Sara Wells + 2 friends
Cheryl
Tristan
Sairus
Kelley
Karen Oh
Allison
Chandre
Sarah S(Karaoke)
Bryan Muller (Maybe Karaoke)
Danny
Sarah Wilczynski
Stephen Jackel

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:28:18 PM by fred »

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyo Orientation Dinners 2013
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:18:21 PM »
I'm planning on going to at least one of them, if not both. Depends on whether I need one of those days to take the driving test again ;_;

But how did everyone do this last year? Did you take nenkyuu / spend the night, or did you head back to Yamanashi same night?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:12:35 PM »
I am planning on spending the night in Tokyo for both days and heading back in the morning. You can also head back that night too as there is a Kaiji at 11pm I think.

As for nenkyuu, it all depends on your situation. In theory, you can come straight from school and leave that night.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:59 PM »
Pleased to see that my selection in TO dinner establishments has been such a continuing success  :-D

I'm planning on going to at least one of them, if not both. Depends on whether I need one of those days to take the driving test again ;_;

But how did everyone do this last year? Did you take nenkyuu / spend the night, or did you head back to Yamanashi same night?

Depending on how your BoE is about you doing non-teaching things, you could ask the YETI President to write you an official letter saying that you're going to the orientation to assist in welcoming the new JETs, and that way you might not have to use nenkyuu for it. We've done that in the past for people who wanted it and thought their BoEs would go with it. If Fred is willing to write the letter and stamp it/make it official you could see if it'll fly. Otherwise, it's doable to catch the last train back, although you probably won't be able to join the karaoke in that case.

alee_t

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:28:33 PM »
I would love to partake in the dinner! I'm not sure what our flexibility will be like as new JETs, but if it doesn't interfere with anything pre-planned by the program then: yes, yes, yes!

:-D
Alee

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:38:15 PM »
Pleased to see that my selection in TO dinner establishments has been such a continuing success  :-D

Depending on how your BoE is about you doing non-teaching things, you could ask the YETI President to write you an official letter saying that you're going to the orientation to assist in welcoming the new JETs, and that way you might not have to use nenkyuu for it. We've done that in the past for people who wanted it and thought their BoEs would go with it. If Fred is willing to write the letter and stamp it/make it official you could see if it'll fly. Otherwise, it's doable to catch the last train back, although you probably won't be able to join the karaoke in that case.

It was a good restaurant and worked really well when we used it. Thanks for finding that one Conor.
Although I am going to check another one out this weekend and see if fits our needs.

As for the letter, I suppose I could write the letter. Does anyone have one from previous years?

I would love to partake in the dinner! I'm not sure what our flexibility will be like as new JETs, but if it doesn't interfere with anything pre-planned by the program then: yes, yes, yes!

:-D
Alee

As long as CLAIR don't change the schedule from years gone by, it should only interfere with those that have an embassy night and I would highly recommend you go to the embassy night. Americans and Canadians don't have an embassy night.
Are you group A or B?

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 04:04:06 PM »
As for the letter, I suppose I could write the letter. Does anyone have one from previous years?

I don't, and I imagine Mig doesn't have it any longer either, but it was basically just "i am the president of YETI. YETI is yamanashi's group that does x, y, z. it is an important part of life and adjustment for new and veteran ALTs. gaijin-sensei is a valued member of our community and if it is possible for her to attend it would help us greatly." and then make sure you put it on letterhead or stamp it or what have you. Good luck with the translation, though.

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
It also might make sense if you also explain how YETI is effectively our local AJET chapter. Since this is to welcome new JETs it would make sense to explain that this is to help the new JETs ease into life in Yamanashi, and give the event some semblance of officiality.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 04:29:03 PM »
it would make sense to explain that this is to help the new JETs ease into life in Yamanashi, and give the event some semblance of officiality.

it is an important part of life and adjustment for new and veteran ALTs. gaijin-sensei is a valued member of our community and if it is possible for her to attend it would help us greatly."

and give the event some semblance of officiality.

and then make sure you put it on letterhead or stamp it or what have you.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 04:38:53 PM »
Thanks Conor and Matt. Yeah, I would have to do something along those lines.
Translation...hmmm, yeah. I'll need to look into that one.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »

Our BoE's only incoming JET is during Group B orientation, so I'm pretty sure the letter would help with that. (Supervisor did ask me to help her when she arrives after all....) It wouldn't hurt to mention Group A dates, in case they're feeling generous. I wouldn't want to miss out on the karaoke D: It was probably one of the most memorable things about Orientation for me (other than Fred scaring the bejeezus out of me about working in Isawa ;o; )

Fred, yoroshiku!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:51:54 PM by aMandarinAlmond »

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Do you know what your schedule is like during natsuyasumi anyway? When I went in at the end of my first year I didn't even have to bother with the letter. Granted, I was president and explained that to my principal, but I basically just explained "I'm going to Tokyo to help with the new JETs on this date and this date" and they were fine with it. You could even tell them the day you need off is the Wednesday (if the dinner is on Tuesday) so you can take a train in after work Tuesday, make it to dinner and karaoke, then stay at a capsule place or whatever and do something in Tokyo in the morning before making your way back nice and easy on Wednesday.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 05:07:25 PM »
If it was anything like last summer, I'll be doing absolutely nothing. Except this time I know about the *nudgenudgewinkwink* show your face at work and pretty much take off at lunch. Although I don't know how strict they are about taking nenkyuu (though it seems they don't have any real record of how many days I've taken so far because in April my old paper disappeared :?). I think my school doesn't really know what to do with my paperwork even though I submit it. I think the letter would still help if the BoE saw it and relayed the info to my school in a powers-that-be sort of way.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:19 PM »
I plan on going to both   :-)

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:41 PM »
Great, I am getting a good idea of what needs to be done. Obviously, I would much prefer to NOT send out a letter as I feel like a bit of a cheat. However, I will write one up this week or next and send it if I need to.

Sarah, how were your board of education about you doing AJET stuff? Did you get a letter sent to you?

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 05:51:23 PM »
I'm going to be helping with the U.S. Embassy presentation for both orientations, so put me down for both dinners.

megdoi

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 07:14:56 PM »
Sounds fun count me in :)  Can't wait to meet all of you!

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 07:31:11 PM »
I feel like a bit of a cheat.

Why? Don't lie about anything, just point out (truthfully) that YETI is an important network for new JETs, and (truthfully) that such-and-such ALT's presence would be a great help (because it wouldn't be much of a welcome dinner if there were no one there to welcome them). It's not like Amanda would be asking you to write the letter, and then fucking off down to Osaka for a long weekend or something, she's actually doing exactly what it is you say in the letter. And it's not cheating because any reasonable organization would let her participate without the letter, since she has no responsibilities at work; the only reason a letter might be necessary is because Japanese offices demand official paperwork for Japanese reasons.

I'm going to be helping with the U.S. Embassy presentation for both orientations, so put me down for both dinners.

Interesting to be on the other side of the presentation I imagine. Do you know what you'll be responsible for? Are they utilizing you because you're an ex-JET, or just because you're working there for the summer and your JET status had no bearing?

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 07:52:26 PM »

Interesting to be on the other side of the presentation I imagine. Do you know what you'll be responsible for? Are they utilizing you because you're an ex-JET, or just because you're working there for the summer and your JET status had no bearing?

Both.  The cultural affairs chief at the embassy is recruiting all the ex-JET foreign service officers and interns to volunteer at the orientation.  I'm assuming it's something he does every year.  Figured I'd volunteer so that I can leave the office an hour early.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »
Is that Richard Mei? We talked at the After JET conference in Yokohama but I can't quite remember if he was the cultural affairs guy or not. He seemed friendly though. New Yorker, too, if memory serves.

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 09:13:42 PM »
yup same dude.  A nice guy, but sometimes I feel a little too intense with this kind of thing.  He's from Queens

J.R.R.

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
I should be able to make it to the group A one.

edit: Count this as an RSVP for A.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:52:16 PM by J.R.R. »

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 10:13:49 AM »
RSVPing for Group A.   Group B is only a maybe at the moment.

andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
Well, I'll be at group A for sure.

:wink:

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
  He's from Queens

QUEENS!!! School of the Hard Knocks
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 12:54:49 PM »
  He's from Queens

QUEENS!!! School of the Hard Knocks

That depends on what area of Queens...

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
11368 to the 11373!!!

I wish I still had my Shirt from back in the Day where we would all have our names on the back of the Shirt and the Front would rep your Borough!

I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Why? Don't lie about anything, just point out (truthfully) that YETI is an important network for new JETs, and (truthfully) that such-and-such ALT's presence would be a great help (because it wouldn't be much of a welcome dinner if there were no one there to welcome them). It's not like Amanda would be asking you to write the letter, and then fucking off down to Osaka for a long weekend or something, she's actually doing exactly what it is you say in the letter. And it's not cheating because any reasonable organization would let her participate without the letter, since she has no responsibilities at work; the only reason a letter might be necessary is because Japanese offices demand official paperwork for Japanese reasons.

What he said.

Although a bender in Osaka sounds kinda fun... 

Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
I'll be coming to Group A, but I might have to catch the 10:00 train back depending on how much I feel like fighting with my "please take an hour of nenkyuu to go to the bank on your free period" school. 

For Group B, I'll be in Tokyo already with my friends from Kentucky, so I and/or we might be able to come depending on what our plans are.

karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
Great, I am getting a good idea of what needs to be done. Obviously, I would much prefer to NOT send out a letter as I feel like a bit of a cheat. However, I will write one up this week or next and send it if I need to.

Sarah, how were your board of education about you doing AJET stuff? Did you get a letter sent to you?

It's slightly complicated but CLAIR sends a letter to the AJET Chair which in turn sends another letter with mostly the same info and then passes it on to all the council members' BOEs.  The BOE was perfectly cool with it as it's written in pretty formal Japanese.  I also had a meeting with my supervisor in April about AJET and told him at that time that I would be working at the orientations and the AJET chair also sent out a pretty awesome explanation of AJET and what they do.   Kocho grumbled about it slightly because that's what he does but it was cleared with everyone.

I suggest that Wagner and Chandre also have a chat with their BOEs right now and let them know they are YETI reps and all that that entails.  That way, as long as you send a letter in English, I think you guys will be fine.  Whether or not you can get clearance for everyone who wants to come to be able to come sans nenkyu is going to be a challenge.

Just realized that Waggy isn't going anyway.  Well, anyway, sending a letter is a perfectly appropriate thing to do for the community but it doesn't mean that people won't have to take nenkyu, still depends on how their BOEs see it.  I think it's more understandable for those who are on the council, but maybe some BOEs won't see it as legit since they don't really know who you are?  It's worth a shot.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:21:09 PM by karta »