Author Topic: Orchestra? and instrument rental?  (Read 1445 times)

Offline cherello

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • meep...?
    • View Profile
    • 私が描いた絵
Orchestra? and instrument rental?
« on: July 19, 2013, 10:11:38 AM »
So, I'm not really sure where to put this question, but I was wondering if there might happen to be any sort of community orchestra (or music club or something where people can get together and play music) in Yamanashi?

Also, along those lines, would anyone possibly know of a place to rent a cello? Pretty sure I'm not going to be able to bring mine (doesn't exactly fit in my carry on bag, ha ha), and I'd rather not go for a whole year (or more) without playing...

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Orchestra? and instrument rental?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
I don't know of any community orchestras, but I am sure that there must be one or two about.
I did ask my music teacher and he thinks that Yamanashi is too small to support instrument rental but said that if anywhere will, it would be the biggest shop in Yamanashi, Naito Intruments.
Their phone number is 055 243 8200 and http://www.naito-gakki.co.jp/

You would have more luck in Tokyo probably according to him. Otherwise, you could maybe pick one up second hand.

Could you not bring your cello with you? A few years ago, there was a girl called Kasia who was a concert level musician (cello too I think) and I believe that she brought her cello with her.

Offline aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:23:47 AM »
Terra might have mentioned this to you already, but there is a community taiko group in Misaka (Fuefuki-shi) that we go to. Practice is every Tuesday, and we're about to start the classes to teach any newcomers. If you're interested, let me know! I (Amanda, in Isawa, Fuefuki) can take you sometime after you arrive.

Offline cherello

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • meep...?
    • View Profile
    • 私が描いた絵
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:43:49 AM »
Fred, in order to bring my cello, I'd either have to buy an extra seat on the plane (which I definitely cannot afford, and I don't know if they'd even allow me to do so, since the plane will probably be packed with all us JETs), or I'd have to buy a travel case (also pretty expensive) and then I'd have to pray that it survives as checked baggage. And I don't trust the airlines enough to let them touch my cello. :-P I was kind of hoping that one of the schools where I'll be teaching would have an orchestra club or something where I could borrow a cello in exchange for helping out the club, but that doesn't seem like it'll be an option. Thank you for the information though. I figured Tokyo would probably be my best bet, but I'll check out Naito Instruments as well.

Amanda, yes, Terra has told me about the Taiko group, and I am actually very interested! I was really excited when Terra told me that there was a community Taiko group. I've never played any sort of percussion instrument, but as a musician, I'd like to think I have a decent sense of rhythm, ha ha. But, yes please! I would love to learn Taiko!

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 12:55:50 PM »
I am on the opposite end of the scale (musically), so I had no idea how tough it would have been to bring an instrument.
If you are going to be at any decent sized Junior High School or High school, they will have a band club but I believe that they are almost always exclusively brass band. By your mention of Terra, then I would guess you are at Ashigawa which is quite a large school. Terra will obviously know for sure.

For the community orchestras, I would ask your music teacher when you get here as they will be best placed to find the community orchestras.

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 01:14:24 PM »
By your mention of Terra, then I would guess you are at Ashigawa which is quite a large school. Terra will obviously know for sure.

For the community orchestras, I would ask your music teacher when you get here as they will be best placed to find the community orchestras.

Yup. We have talked about it. (Also, ASHIgawa has a total of 12 students and is an elementary school. She will also be teaching there, but the large middle school you are thinking of is ASAkawa. Easy mistake, but I don't want anyone thinking that Ashigawa is a large school :P )

Cheryl if I have time I'll ask the music teacher here if she can think of anything, but if you do join us at Taiko it can get pretty time consuming!
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
but if you do join us at Taiko it can get pretty time consuming!

But well worth the effort, I think! :D

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 02:09:34 PM »
I know there is a community orchestra because I teach a group of ladies that have been singing/playing instruments in it for years and years.  I'm sure that my Japanese teacher also knows of other community orchestras as well but you might end up having to drive to get to them.  One of the ladies even happens to play cello!

Side note:  My wife and I went to her schools guitar club performance in Kiyosato and as it turned out many other older guitarists partook in the event.  I think before it was all said and done we heard over 40 guitarists play.

We also play and sing at my church but that is quite different than an community orchestra. 

PM me if you want me to look up some more info for you.

Offline cherello

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • meep...?
    • View Profile
    • 私が描いた絵
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 01:00:19 AM »
Well, I guess finding a community orchestra to join doesn't really do me much good if I can't get a cello, so I'll continue looking into that (unless anyone knows someone with a cello who isn't using it and would be willing to rent it to me?)...

I definitely want to do Taiko though, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what I can reasonably fit into my schedule...

Though, thanks everyone for all the info!

Offline mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 10:03:25 AM »
As stated above, there is at least one community orchestra.  I'll ask a friend of mine about their name and how to contact them.  I think you'll yave more luck asking them about cello rentals than us.  You're music teacher should also have advice for you.  I think it might be easier to find a cello than you imagine, or at least I hope so.  There are many, many musicians in Japan and communities usually love it when the ALTs share their talents.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:54 PM »
There is a Yamanashi community orchestra...full of people of all ages! Some of my students play in it and they have performances once or twice a year! Yamanashi University also has a giant orchestra ^-^ I teach a string bass player so I will ask him about renting a cello and what not.

There is also a teacher at my school who plays the cello so I could talk to her next time I see her.

Play on playa we will help you get sorted there definitely is a cello layin around somewhere that wants to be played :mrgreen:
B

Offline Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
As stated above, there is at least one community orchestra.  I'll ask a friend of mine about their name and how to contact them.  I think you'll yave more luck asking them about cello rentals than us.  You're music teacher should also have advice for you.  I think it might be easier to find a cello than you imagine, or at least I hope so.  There are many, many musicians in Japan and communities usually love it when the ALTs share their talents.
I second this. 
When I first came to Japan I went to a live house and met some musicians.  The next day I was at HardOff looking at instruments when someone I'd met came over and said, "Oh you need a bass?"
He took me to his place and gave me a bass. 
I said, "Awesome, I'll just need to get an amp..." ---He then gave me an amp...

Once people know you're looking for a cello, I'm sure someone will be able to sort you out.