Author Topic: 2013 Summer Fireworks!  (Read 1050 times)

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
2013 Summer Fireworks!
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:28:26 PM »
http://hanabi.walkerplus.com/list/ar0419/ (Brought to you by cheap and only slightly flavored 発泡酒 :-o )

It's time to celebrate the summer in Japan by blowing up half of it! The above link provides a list of the fireworks displays throughout Yamanashi starting next weekend until the end of August. The first minor display, the 56th Annual Fuefukigawa Fireworks/Bon Odori event is next weekend (July 27th) in my lovely neck of the woods of Yamanashi City. For those who are in the area and interested in joining (which should be all of you  :-) ), the dance parade on main street starts from Yamanashi-shi station at 5:00 PM followed by the fireworks display at 7:30 along the river near Manriki Park. It's a great time to break out that brand new yukata and hit the town for an evening of festival foods, good company, and enough explosives to light up the sky for a while. If you have time and are around, please come! Most people come in from the station then head to Kofu/other venues afterwards, but for those wanting to drive, please note that parking gets hectic after 5:00 PM. The largest lot is across from city hall at the old Huga supermarket, but there are other areas if you're willing to search a bit. Take care, and let's fireworking!

MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Summer Fireworks!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 07:39:53 PM »
I'll be at Manriki Park, it's my last night in the Prefecture, so I'm going to enjoy my last Japanese Fireworks.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 02:52:15 PM »
Where/when is the rendezvous?

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 04:49:08 PM »
I may end up watching this from outside my apartment, but I doubt I'll gather or watch the whole thing.  Probably the best place to watch the fireworks on Sunday is from near the It's More supermarket - they have lots of food booths in the parking lot there.  If you bump into a bearded looking gaijin with a cane, say hello :D

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 12:30:04 PM »
Bump for the culmination of the Fuji Five Lakes fireworks festival at Kawaguchiko on the 5th (Monday). I went last year, and it was an amazing first experience in Yamanashi :D

Is anyone from around the basin planning to go and carpool? I would offer to take people, but I will not know until tomorrow whether I get that elusive, shiny Japanese driver license.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 05:16:26 PM »
If I don't go to Tokyo early, I may be up for this.
Good luck with the licence!

mike

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »
I may be coming out, but not from the basin sadly.  And yes, good luck passing the test!

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Luckily, I passed the test (Yay!! Thanks everyone for the well-wishes) and will be able to drive two other people down to the fireworks. If anyone is interested, let me know!

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 12:05:14 AM »
Excellent news Amanda. I bet you are relieved.
I won't be able to make Monday.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
For those of you who haven't had enough fireworks yet, the last big fireworks event is in Isawa tomorrow night. It's a 20-minute walk from Isawaonsen Station to the Fuefuki City Hall where all the festivities are held. I think the fireworks start at 7:30, lasting til 9, but the festival itself starts earlier.

A group of us are meeting at my apartment around 6p, which is a 20-minute walk from the station as well and a 15-minute walk to the festival. Anyone is welcome to join us (or we can meet up at the festival)! Bring/wear your yukata and get your drank on with us. PM me if you're interested in meeting up!