Author Topic: Self-Introductions  (Read 655 times)

alee_t

• Teacher
  • Noobie
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Self-Introductions
« on: August 16, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
(If a post like this has already been made, please help me find it)

Hey guys!

I'm not sure what other Yamanashi HSs are like, but at Kofu Josai HS I'm expected to give two introductions. One to my teachers/faculty/staff and another one in front of my entire school. Daunting? Yes. I need some advice (from new, current or former ALTs) on what I should talk about in my self-intro to the entire school. I've been told that it should be at least 5 mins.

Suggestions?

So far, I have:
  • name
  • place of birth (because it's different from where I grew up)
  • college and name of city
  • my majors
  • and a nice closing sentence

That is definitely not 5 mins (thats maybe a 1.5 min, with my supervisor translating for me).

I'm also aware that they probably won't hold it against me if I didn't give a 5 min. speech; however, if anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to post them!

Thanks,
A[/list]

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Introductions
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 03:23:50 PM »
I think that is pretty comprehensive.
Its tough to fill five minutes, but you don't have to.

I would say, keep it short and friendly because the staff and the students have a year to get to know you better.
Perhaps you could add a short something about a hobby or passion that you have which they will remember you by. Maybe expand on your multiculturalism?

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 07:01:34 PM »
The one to the staff is generally 2-3 sentence.  To the whole school?  Students and staff would be grateful if you keep it under 1 minute.  And dont eing it, practice what you'll say.  There's nothing worse than standing at attention while a staff member gives a 5 or 10 minute speech.  Except perhaps when said teacher speaks in a language you have trouble following.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Jacklostinred

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »
When giving speeches the general rule is you should spend 1 minute for every 120 words.  Just some advice if you think you are speaking at a regular pace, slow down.  Also if you consider that your JTE is going to be translating double that time for 120 speech.

I wrote my speech with a brief introduction then used my soap box to talk about life goals and the importance of lifelong learning.  You know I might as well just post my speech here.  Please don't steal it I put quite a few hours into getting it to this point, or at the very least ask permission.

Good Morning,

My name is Stephen Jackel and I am from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I am the new ALT here at Katsura High School and am very excited to be working with all of you.
I would like to take a moment to share some advice I was once given.  I was told that in life there are no teachers only students. Teachers are students who have dedicated their lives to educating others.

Students you may wonder why I have pointed out that you are teachers, the ones you respect are also students. I point this out because teachers learn as much from you as you do from them. We all share in each other's education.

Now teachers, you may wonder why I have referred to you as students. I understand many of you have or desire to spent time traveling abroad. Is not the purpose of traveling to educate oneself? We are all students of the world.

I am sure you all are wondering why I am here and why English is important? English is important because it gives us the ability to see with world differently. As a student of Japanese you may hear me in the teachers room speaking very poor Japanese and I encourage you to laugh and correct my mistakes; similarly, I encourage you all to make mistakes when learning English because through practice and embracing our mistakes we can master anything.

To conclude, I would like to remind everyone why we are here today.  We are all here today to learn, but you cannot master anything overnight because it takes practice, patience and lifelong dedication. So if I ask anything of you all today it is to dedicate your lives to lifelong learning.

Thank you.

Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2013, 11:09:55 AM »
Any speeh is fine as long as you give it while using your best Peter Griffin voice.  Hehehhhhhhee.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.