Author Topic: Speech Contest....again  (Read 4493 times)

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
Speech Contest....again
« on: October 03, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
I can't find my copy of the sugihara story. Can someone upload a copy please.
In fact if someone has all the copies then to upload them somewhere would be great.

Thanks
Wouldn't it be nice, to get on with my neighbours!

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
Re: Speech Contest....again
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
Where's the love people!!?
 I really need a copy of sugihara story.  :cry:

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 05:28:10 PM »
When I was a child, my family lived in a small country in Europe.  My father worked for the Japanese government.  We had a happy life.  Then, suddenly one morning in July 1940, everything changed.  I saw hundreds of people around our house.  ''Please help us!'' they cried.

They were Jews from Poland.  They were running away from the Nazis.  The Nazis were catching and killing a great number of Jews.  They wanted to get away to a safe place through Japan.  So they needed Japanese visas.  My father said to himself ''If the Nazis learn that I'm helping Jews, our familly will not be safe.  But If I don't、they will all die.''

The next day , my father sent a telegram to the Japanese government and asked, ''Can I give them visas?'' But the answer was ''no''.  More and more people were coming.  He sent a second telegram and then a third.  Each time the answer was ''no''.  He said, ''I don't want to go against my government, but who else can save them?  I am their only hope!''

At last, my father made up his mind.  He went outside and said ''I will give visas to all of you!'' At first the people were silent.  Then, everyone shouted with joy, ''Hooray! We are saved!''  From that day, he wrote visas every day for about a month.  He worked day and night.  He didn't even stop to eat.  When he handed over a visa, he looked into their eyes and said, ''Good Luck''

Finally the Nazis came.  Our family had to leave the country.  My father continued to write even at the train station.  When the train started to move, he said ''I'm sorry.  I can't write anymore''  People ran after us and shouted, ''Thank You Mr. Sugihara.  We will never forget you''

More than 6,000 lives were saved by his visas.  At the time, I didn't understand what my family was doing, or why it was important.  But I do now.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 05:46:18 PM »
A comedy translation.

FAIR WARNING:  TEXT INCLUDES RUDE OBSCENE AND OFFENSIVE COMEDIC LANGUAGE.

Please dont take this seriously.  Its just a joke people. 

Yo when I was a young'n me and my peoples lived in a small country in Europe.  My pop worked for sum government job or sumthin.  Yo life was good son!

Yo then suddenly one morning I woke up  in july 1940 YO!! everythang CHYANGED.  Yo The Beatles Came!!

Them dudes came!  They were running away from fans.   The fans were scratching and clawing a great number of the beatles crew yo!  Them beatles dude wanted to get away through a safe place through our house!  My moms was like YO I GOT A KNIFE BITCH AND I AINT afraid to use it!

The next day my pops sent a text to the record label and asked. Yo can these dudes write a song about my daughter Jude please?  But the answer was ''no''  more and more fans were coming.  he sent a second text and then a third.  But by then ATT sent a text saying we went over our limit.  Thats when my sister Jude was like I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH T-MObile's unlimited plan.   She called his boyfriend who works with T-Mobile and was like HELP ME Obe One  You are my only hope!!

At last my father made up his mind.  He went outside and said.  YO I HEARD JUSTIN BIEBER is around the corner!!   At first the people were silent.  Then, everyone went BONKERS YO!  Them chickenheads be like AHHH OHH MY GOD! I GOT BIEBER FEVER!!   Them bitches ran like a motha! LET ME TELL YOuuuuU!

From that day on my family listened to that song Hey Jude by the beatles EVERYDAY like thing was on repeat.  We listened to that thing DAY AND NIGHT!   It was even playing when we were eating!  When I tried to go over and change the song, my father looked into my eyes and said ''GOOD LUCK KEEPING THAT HAND IF YOU CHANGE THAT SONG.''

Finally, after I changed my underwear...........our family eventually changed the song.   My father was surprised when he heard the song at the train station.   When the train started to move, he said I'm sorry you crapped your pants when I threatened you''  People heard me when I shouted ''I DID NOT CRAP IN MY PANTS DAD GAWD!!!!''

The song played atleast over 6,000 times.  At the time, I didn't really think the Beatles were a big deal.  But I do now.
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »
Firstly, thanks for the speech!

Secondly, hilarious! Did you write it?

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:16:46 AM »
I had to type it.  I cant upload files from the cloud server AKA THE BOE FOLDERS lol.

And the comedy one was just me being super bored while the kids practice their speech here in the english room.

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
He said, ''I don't want to go against my government, but who else can save them?  I am their only hope!''

Has this part changed since last year?

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:53 PM »
Nah that shit is seared into my brain. That part was definitely in it last year.

WadeB

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 02:39:39 PM »
Watch students' confusion when you ask how well Japan regarded him after WW2  :-o

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 09:44:39 AM »
We all know that the recitation contest is rife with grammatical errors.  They have changed a few things over the years (like the spelling of Paul Rush), but it still has a long way to go.
Unfortunately, nobody really cares that much.

Anyhow, here's a version I made trying to bring attention to this, as well as fix a few historical inaccuracies  (obviously use the sanctioned shitty version though):

The First American Football in Japan
the Paul Rusch story

Do you know Paul Rusch?  We know he is the "Father of Kiyosato," but he is also the "Father of American football" in Japan.

Paul Rusch first came to Japan after the Great Kanto Earthquake.  He worked at a hospital helping injured people.  He wanted to help Japanese people more and have stronger friendships with them, so he started teaching in Kiyosato.  He always said to his students, "Do your best and it must be first class."

One day, he thought, "I want to introduce American football to Japan.  Young people will learn a lot about my culture."  No Japanese people had any football equipment, so he asked Americans to send some from the U.S.  Finally, they had the first football game in 1934.  He was very happy.

But in the late 1930's, Japan was at war.  Paul wanted the war to stop, so on December 7th, 1941, he spoke to some American people through the radio.  "The friendship between our countries is growing," he said.  “Let's stop the war!" 

But it was no use.  On the very next day, Japan went to war with the U.S.  Many of his students had to go to war and now Paul had to leave Japan too.  He was very sad.

The war ended in 1945.  Soon Paul came back to Japan and started to teach American football again.  It became more and more popular.

Now, every year, on January 3rd, there is a big football game in Tokyo.  The MVP of the game wins a trophy called the "Paul Rusch Cup."

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
The script shits me to tears, but you know what it's like. They won't change it anytime soon (probably because that would admit to mistakes in the current one.)

I was just correcting some of my JHS 3rd grader's worksheets about their impressions of the Sugihara story.

"Mr. Sugihara was very cool. I think he had a very hard life...."

Really? After reading the story their main impression was HE had a tough life?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 05:08:02 PM by LozZz »

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:27 AM »
Well....his hand must have hurt bad after writing all them visas. And he got chased out his home country the country he was staying in!

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 12:27:16 AM »
Also, I know it means shit but for the student do care a bit too much about it (or at least mine do). Can I ask whether students get judged on American or British pronunciation? Natural or correct? I.e battle or baddle?? Going to or gonna??

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 12:55:01 AM »
For the most part, judges are looking for American English.  This is what is used on the listening section of the college entrance exams, so this is what they usually lean towards.

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 04:02:01 AM »
For the most part, judges are looking for American English.  This is what is used on the listening section of the college entrance exams, so this is what they usually lean towards.

That said, it depends on the judges. I was judge of the Tsuru competition the last 3 years and we had one or two girls in that time wh spoke with British accents due to living overseas or having parents who had lived there or something. Both scored very highly-- I certainly didn't take points off for British pronunciation as opposed to American, and I don't believe the other judges did...

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:56 AM »
At the most recent speech contest(although not recitation) the judges mentioned they chose the winners based on how natural the speech sounded. They wanted to hear a story rather than a memorized essay. Although everyone's saying the same essay here I'm sure that little bit of info wouldn't hurt! btw anyone going to the contest??? I think I have to be there  :cry:
B

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 12:09:26 PM »
I went last year and along with some other ALTs were surprised at one of the winners. 

The boy who won last year for 2nd years had a so so accent but good presentation.   Then the girls who had exceptional accents had mediocre presentations.  Some of us were baffled.  I know I made it clear I was surprised the boy won.

I dont know if I HAVE to go this year.  Honestly, Id rather not.  My kids have super high hopes of winning ANY prize and when I keep insisting that the competition is hard.  He kind of just shrugs it off. 

Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • Offline Offline
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 02:50:04 PM »
Dukie, speaking of speech contests are you doing Greenbank again this year? The same girl I had in the contest last year is trying it again this year and I'm hoping she crushes it, she's been working her ass off. Do you know when it is?

Jotham

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Lifer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
They've said this year (but i also thought they said it last year??) that the presentation side of things should mean shit. No hand waving, grabbing their shirts to show their fake emotions, or any gestures of any kind.
How do we know who the judges are? Being in Eikaiwa I'm not in the loop.

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 03:34:49 PM »
I went last year and along with some other ALTs were surprised at one of the winners. 

The boy who won last year for 2nd years had a so so accent but good presentation.   Then the girls who had exceptional accents had mediocre presentations.  Some of us were baffled.  I know I made it clear I was surprised the boy won.
They always say that gestures are not gonna help, but when it comes down to it, they do.
Also, no matter how awesome your kid is, you have to remember that some of the judges are Japanese and see things very differently when it comes to scoring...

And as for kids feeling over confident before they get there, it's easy to understand why ---for them, just memorizing the script is quite a feat, but they don't realize that it is the lowest level that everyone there should be at.  The best thing you can do is show them a video of some good speeches from last year to give them better perspective and strike fear into their hearts (a bit)...

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
They've said this year (but i also thought they said it last year??) that the presentation side of things should mean shit. No hand waving, grabbing their shirts to show their fake emotions, or any gestures of any kind.
How do we know who the judges are? Being in Eikaiwa I'm not in the loop.

Perhaps so, but with the "speeches" written more like oral stories (especially with Sugihara written in first-person), it seems like it would be weird for the students to recite it like a robot. That's a flaw in the speeches, but the students can't help that. Just help them make sure the "presentations" fit the content.

B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
Dukie, speaking of speech contests are you doing Greenbank again this year? The same girl I had in the contest last year is trying it again this year and I'm hoping she crushes it, she's been working her ass off. Do you know when it is?

Yes I'll be hosting/mc again this year, it'll be on 11/20.

Everybody,  If any of your students are thinking about it please do it. This contest rocks and is a really good challenge for the students! ^-^
B

Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 12:18:37 AM »

They always say that gestures are not gonna help, but when it comes down to it, they do.
Also, no matter how awesome your kid is, you have to remember that some of the judges are Japanese and see things very differently when it comes to scoring...

And as for kids feeling over confident before they get there, it's easy to understand why ---for them, just memorizing the script is quite a feat, but they don't realize that it is the lowest level that everyone there should be at.  The best thing you can do is show them a video of some good speeches from last year to give them better perspective and strike fear into their hearts (a bit)...

I judged more than a few of these damn things, and I never agreed with the winners.  Usually, the best English gets 3rd or 4th and the kids that squeal and grimace and jump around get 1st and 2nd.  No way around this as there is 2-3 J judges, depending on the contest, and usually only one native speaker.

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 09:45:23 AM »
Anybody else judging the middle school speech contest in fuefukushi on Tuesday.  I'll be there judging, and I think Jody is supposed to be there.  I need to get a ride to somewhere near a station :/

LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 09:57:57 AM »
My JHS 1st and 3rd grade kids took out the Kyonan area comp, so it looks like I'll be at the prefectural one. Who else is going?

lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »

Yes I'll be hosting/mc again this year, it'll be on 11/20.

Everybody,  If any of your students are thinking about it please do it. This contest rocks and is a really good challenge for the students! ^-^

I have a student who will compete!  Except I've only ever head about Greenbank for the first time this year and have no clue how to help her.  I know that she has to give a 1min speech about her hometown and then do an interview.   Any tips/hints for me so that I can help her out?  Is there a list of commonly used interview questions available?

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 11:33:23 AM »
I've taken part in Greenbank three times (2004, 2005, 2006) although others probably have more experience.
Years ago, I got a handout which had sample questions in it. If I remember and find a copy, I'll bring it to pub quiz with me. Hopefully it'll still be the same format.

Professor Bonerpants

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Offline Offline
  • lord of death
    • View Profile
    • invaders
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 12:18:01 PM »
I've taken part in Greenbank three times (2004, 2005, 2006) although others probably have more experience.
Years ago, I got a handout which had sample questions in it. If I remember and find a copy, I'll bring it to pub quiz with me. Hopefully it'll still be the same format.
I went to Tokyo one year with a student of mine who was competing in a proper speech contest that she had to write herself and all (not just memorize and spit out).  That was pretty sweet.
This year, I didn't even realize the contest was today until another ALT asked if I was going ---my JTE has been secretly coaching the kids without me.  I know I won't always be invited to the actual contest because of scheduling and stuff, but come on...

Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
I went to Tokyo one year with a student of mine who was competing in a proper speech contest that she had to write herself and all (not just memorize and spit out).  That was pretty sweet.
This year, I didn't even realize the contest was today until another ALT asked if I was going ---my JTE has been secretly coaching the kids without me.  I know I won't always be invited to the actual contest because of scheduling and stuff, but come on...

That's moderately messed up.  Teacher must be a ninja though to get that by you.

Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2013, 02:34:50 PM »
My JTEs have been no-so-secretly (I hope) coaching the students without me.  I made some videos for the kids to practice with and keep offering to help, but I haven't been asked to do anything else.  Seriously guys, I know it's coming up next week...use me?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:37:16 PM by Pnut »