Author Topic: Hair Coloring  (Read 1144 times)

Offline alee_t

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
Hair Coloring
« on: October 08, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
Sup y'all!

I've searched through the forum and couldn't find a recent, updated thread about hair(cuts) in Yamanashi/Kofu.

To further complicate matters, I looking for someone who can do color well. Blonde, to be more specific. I am naturally dark brown/black, and had my hair treated before arriving in Japan; but, it's been a while and I'm starting to look like one of those ratchet girls with dog-chewed, "ombre" hair (YIKES!). Need to get some hair-rapy, soon.
If anyone knows of a stylist who does blonde well and has had experience working with gaijin hair (I have thick hair, so I'm also looking for someone to spruce up my layers), it would make me happy if you could share that information  :lol:

They don't have to speak English well, I'm okay with awkward silences.

Offline B-roni

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: Hair Coloring
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:06:39 PM »
In downtown Kofu there is a place called GALA(055-233-1200) and the owner there, Kouki, is fluent and he studied at the Vial Sasson(sp?) school in England. The place is right across the street from Zawatami by the scramble intersection behind the kencho.  :wink:

hope that helps!
B

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:18:41 PM »
Gala would probably be the place to go for someone who is completely experienced with blonde hair.  I've only been once but it was a good experience and Koki will consult with you in English to get the perfect color.  However, it was pretty expensive.  I thought it was a fair price for the service, though.  A color and cut was just slightly less than 10,000 after a 10% discount. 
http://www.vde-gala.com/e_info.html

I have been to Jammin' a few times in the past, there's one walkable from Yamanashishi station though I used to always go to the Kose shop.  Hirai is the owner  and pretty experienced working with gaijin hair. He speaks some English though not fluent and is just generally really foreigner friendly.  I haven't been in maybe 2 years but at that time, he gave quite a discount to foreigners (I think it was as high as 20-30%).  I think the color and cut was less than 7000 at that time. The other plus is you can also make an appointment online.  The downside is that the shop in Kofu (Kose) would be hard to get to without a car depending on your location.  Though you can take a train down to the Yamanashishi shop.  http://www.jammin.cc/

Offline lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:39:33 PM »
Sadly, the Yamanashishi Jammin that used to be right across from the station has moved to a much further location. It would require a car to get to now.

Offline alee_t

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 01:04:06 PM »
Thanks guys!

I think I'll try to check out both places so I can get a feel for each stylist  :-)

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
I wish you the best of luck! 25% of the time I've left the salon in tears including at Gala where Kouki bleached my hair pure white (all of it) and still charged me.  Your best bet is jammin.  Take plenty of photos.  And NEVER EVER let a Japanese salon dye your hair red.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Karurosu

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Creepin' in Kofu...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 12:53:52 PM »
What's the deal with that place across the road from Jonathan's near Kofu station? Looks swanky.

Offline jDub

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
I wish you the best of luck! 25% of the time I've left the salon in tears including at Gala where Kouki bleached my hair pure white (all of it) and still charged me.  Your best bet is jammin.  Take plenty of photos.  And NEVER EVER let a Japanese salon dye your hair red.

Just curious, when was this? He fried my hair when I asked for very light blonde highlights, too. :/