Author Topic: YETI Spaghetti, November 6th, 2013  (Read 684 times)

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
YETI Spaghetti, November 6th, 2013
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:16:59 AM »

Thanks to the hosts, Tsuki Café, and all who came out to the Autumn Pub Quiz! The team known as Sheena’s Mom were the victors of Pub Quiz! And JD took home the prize for Best Costume for his recreation of the Video Camera Man (from the movie piracy warnings). Second Place went to Carlos for his Zombie Freedom Fighter costume, and Third to Sara for her Dr. Claw costume. I hope everyone had a good time at the Quiz and enjoyed Culture Day this past weekend!

YETI and AJET News

AJET Connect Magazine, November 2013 Issue
From the AJET newsletter:
November’s issue of Connect Magazine brings you autumn wonder. Discover the glories of mikan and learn how to pull off the “layered look” this fall on pages 18 and 30.

Once you’re looking stylish and fortified with vitamin C, you can uncover the secret to fresh cheese in Japan… finally! If cheese isn’t your thing, then check out the vegan and gluten-free cooking wisdom on pages 36 and 37.

There’s a lot going on in the Sports section with articles on sumo, rock climbing, kendo & kyudo, and Aussie Rules Football in Thailand.

Check out the Travel section on page 50 to read about how to walk 745 miles to enlightenment and about the best diving spots for your winter holiday.
Read the pdf version here: http://ajet.net/downloads/connect/AJET%20Connect%20NOV%202013.pdf

Contribute to The Spaghetti!
I am looking for things in Yamanashi to share with the community, so help me pass it along! It can be an interesting photo, a blurb about an experience you had somewhere, or a little-known shop that might be of interest to someone. Check out the blurb below.

YETI Events

Fall Foliage Viewing, November 9th
-->This weekend!! The cherry blossoms are to spring as the changing leaves are to autumn.  The changing colors of the leaves will be in full swing in November. Join fellow YETIzens on a casual stroll around Lake Yamanaka with a majestic view of Fuji, and enjoy the natural beauty this time of year. There are plans in the works for dinner and karaoke afterward, and lodging can be made available with our gracious hosts in the Fujiyoshida area should anyone want to party hard even after last train.
Cost: Free
Where: Ashigaoka Bus Stop at (whale-shaped) Lake Yamanaka. There is a 1:20p bus from Fujisan Station towards Doshi (富士山駅~忍野八海~山中湖~平野~道志). There is also parking available at the bus stop for those driving.
When: Saturday, November 9th, 2pm~
More info: http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9057.0

YETI Thanksgiving Potluck, November 17th
What brings people together better than massive amounts of comfort food?? For this free YETI event, all we ask is that you bring enough food or drinks for a few people. 
When you RSVP, please say what you are bringing to the potluck so we don't end up with a ton of one thing and none of anything else. To see what people are bringing, check the link below.
Parking is limited, so please try to carpool or take the train to Yamanashi-shi Station where we can shuttle people to the location.
Cost: Free, but please bring a dish or (non-alcoholic) drinks for a few people.
Where: (EDIT: Yamanashi City Yume Work Center). Yamanashishi, Kamikanogawa 1348. A 10-15-minute walk from Yamanashi-shi Station.
When: Sunday, November 17th, 1pm-5pm
More info: http://www.yetijapan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9064.0

Save the Date!!
YETI Winter Party 2013, Saturday, December 7th

Things to Do in Yamanashi

Koshu Fujikawa Festival, November 10th
This festival will have all sorts of food and performances (like taiko drumming!), but the highlight is the local variety of houtou, mimi. In an effort to be more Eco, the organizers have asked that everyone brings their reusable grocery bags, and when buying food, there will be deposits on the dishes, which you will get back when you return them. There will also be an international gourmet plaza to enjoy the less common fare in Yamanashi, a flea market in the gymnasium, and they will make fresh mochi (the process is pretty interesting and fun if you ever get to try it!).
Where: 利根川公園スポーツ広場. Tonegawa Park, Fujikawa. Park at Masuho Cultural Hall, Minamikoma-gun, Fujikawa-chō, Tenjinnakajō, 820−1.
When: Sunday, November 10th, 9:30am-2:30pm
More info: http://www.town.fujikawa.yamanashi.jp/kanko/event/masuho-matsuri.html (Japanese)

紅葉(Kouyou): Autumn Leaves Viewing, November
It’s primetime for leaf-viewing! You may already be seeing the speckling of different colors on the mountains. There is the leaf-viewing with YETI this Saturday at Lake Yamanaka, but if you cannot make it to this event, I highly recommend seeing them somehow! Locations abound to see them, but here are a few noteworthy places:

Shosenkyo Gorge
Cost: Free, but the ropeway is extra
Where: Shosenkyo Gorge, north of Kofu. You can take ¥570 bus from Bus Terminal 3 at Kofu Station South Entrance to the gorgeous Gorge. It’s a nice place to take a hike and have a little picnic! Near the north end of the path, you can pay to take the ropeway at Sengataki to get a great view.
When: During November
More info: http://www.shosenkyo-kankoukyokai.com/access.html (Japanese)

Fuji Kawaguchiko Autumnal Leaves Festival
This one is a two-fer! Get the illumination of the leaves in the evening and enjoy the majestic view of Fuji.
When: During November, open hours 9am-7pm, but the illumination lasts until 10pm
Where: On the north banks of Lake Kawaguchi.
More info: Fujisan.ne.jp (Japanese)

Nezu Memorial Museum Autumn Leaves Evening Illumination, November 15th – November 17th
This quaint museum on the border of Kasugai and Yamanashi City will extend its opening hours for a special illumination of its garden’s autumn leaves. There will also be a mini-concert in the Aoyama Building on-site during open hours. Peruse the website to see what else the museum has to offer.
Cost: ¥300
Where: Yamanashi-shi, 296 Shotokuji. A 17-minute walk from Kasugaicho Station, or 22-minute walk from Yamanashishi Station. There is also parking available.
When: Friday, November 15th – Sunday, November 17th, entrance until 8pm.
More info: http://nezu-kinenkan.com/index.html (Japanese)

Things to Do Around Tokyo

Hachioji Gingko Festival, November 16th-17th
Maybe it's just me, but I think gingko leaves in the fall are the loveliest (and maybe maple leaves). Here is another way to enjoy the colorful changes of fall. This festival in Hachioji is just outside of Yamanashi in Tokyo, and parades will line Route 20 from the Takao Station North Exit on the 16th, and from Oiwake Machi Intersection (Oiwakemachikousaten) on the 17th. There will be a car parade on the 17th and performances by the community.
Where: Various checkpoints along Route 20 in Hachioji. Short walks from the stations between Takao Station and Nishihachioji Station. Look at the Access page of the website for specific points on the 20.
When: Saturday, November 16th, 9am-5pm – Sunday, November 17th, 9am-4:30pm
More info: http://www.ichou-festa.org/ (Japanese)

Introducing... Yamanashi

Ring Bagel

The blurb this week is about Ring Bagel in Showa north of Aeon Mall. This little shop is a bit pricey for just one (runs about ¥200), but sometimes, ya just need a bagel! They also had other pastries, but why would you go there for anything else...? If you try this place out, let me know what you think!
Where: 山梨県中巨摩郡昭和町西条1987-4, Nakakoma, Showa Saijo 1987-4. Near Route 20 between Alps Dori and Route 3.
More info: http://www.ring-bagel.net/index.html

Thanks for reading!

---------------------------------------------------------
To subscribe or unsubscribe, ask questions, or send comments about The Spaghetti, please email spaghetti.yamamama@gmail.com. If subscribing or unsubscribing, please put [SUBSCRIBE] or [UNSUBSCRIBE] in the subject, respectively.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:53:36 PM by aMandarinAlmond »

Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
Re: YETI Spaghetti, November 6th, 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:42:02 AM »
I am hoping that cheese bagel is Asiago.  As a NYer i do miss my bagels.  Will hit that up soon!

Thanks Amanda!
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 12:40:30 PM »
Sure thing, Jack! When you get around to trying it, tell me how it goes! Haha

aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 03:51:27 PM »
Pardon, everyone! I wrote the Thanksgiving Potluck as being at the Yamanashi Shimin Kaikan. It's actually the Yamanashi City Yume Work Center. The address, however, is correct.

Thanksgiving Potluck
Yamanashi City Yume Work Center
1348 Kamikanogawa, Yamanashi-shi