Author Topic: Reading Games  (Read 257 times)

Offline ametyist213

• Noobie
    • View Profile
Reading Games
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:03:48 AM »
My JTE has asked me to make a new reading game for next year's lesson in the New Horizon 2 textbook. They'll be reading "Try to Be the Only One" which is four pages long. Usually for dialogue reading practice, she does speed games where the fastest pair/group to read the dialogue gets a sticker. She changes it up by having them read together, someone reads first and the other repeats after them, everyone reads one line, etc. Since they'll be reading an actual story this time and don't like reading, she wanted me to come up with a new game to make reading fun. Does anyone have any ideas? Personally I'm not a fan of the speed games because she gives them the katakana version and I don't think they're really practicing reading if they need to speed through it.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Games
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
I don't teach JHS, but ugh...Katakana. It sounds like the reading is like pulling teeth and you are looking for a less painful way to go about it.
Sorry if I can't be of any help on that.

Offline ametyist213

• Noobie
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Games
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:39:32 AM »
Thanks anyway. She does make them do the reading without the katakana after awhile, but they still have to speed read.