Author Topic: 14-28th September Sumo Tournament in Tokyo  (Read 3604 times)

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
14-28th September Sumo Tournament in Tokyo
« on: August 25, 2008, 11:05:49 AM »
Hi guys, I've been thinking about going to this since I've already been to one, but haven't decided yet.  From the looks of it, there are still arena seats available.  Any takers?

http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/hanbai_jokyo/index.html

Arena seats range from (C) \3,600, (B) \4,900 and (A) \8,200
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/tokyo.html
General admission tickets for sale on the day cost \2,100 each but you hafta get there really early and they may be sold out.

Since pub quiz is on the Sat 20th, I'd suggest Sunday 21st or Sat 27th Sept, but tickets together may not be easily accessible.
If we go on the 21st, then we could probably all go play in Tokyo for the night after pub quiz.

----EDIT----
Lemme know by eos (End of school) this Friday 29th Aug, as well as how much you're willing to spend & which dates you'd prefer. Even if I don't end up going, I can help you book.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 12:07:29 PM by kazza »
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Offline People's Republic of Yamanashi Officer for Internal Affairs

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Yamanashi bloc
    • View Profile
Re: 14-28th September Sumo Tournament in Tokyo
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
yes there is a whole bunch of us who want to see sumo, any shape or form. i think maybe 5 or so.
FOR THE GLORIOUS PROTECTION OF YAMANASHI

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:46:57 PM »
Yeah. If there are people going I would certainly be interested...
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:26:26 PM »
I'd be interested in a pub quiz/Tokyo night and a bit of sumo the next day.  Anyone interested in hitting up the Tokyo Ice Bar? I've always wanted to go there after seeing it on the Amazing Race.

Also, would anyone be interesting in getting box seats for the tournament?  They are a bit more pricey than the arena seats and probably aren't as comfortable as it's just a pillow on tatami, but they are way closer to all the action!

Plus I might not fall asleep if I was in a box like I did the last time when I was sitting in the comfy arena seats...........maybe. :|

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:59:35 PM »
If it is just pillow on tatami does it involve sitting cross-legged or on my knees for hours? because if it is and its like that tea ceremony we did at orientation then I dont think I'm in for that. Partying in Tokyo sounds good though.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 09:39:02 AM »
Yeah, the box seat involves sitting on your knees or with your legs stretched out (not that easy if we're all tall gaijins and we're all doing the same!!).  In any case, the box seats are pretty much sold out, so sorry Amanda!!

Slight change of plans - is it okay if we go on Sunday 28th of September instead?
it turns out that the Yonex Japan Open 2008 Badminton finals are on the Sunday 21st Sept & of course badminton geek Karen would prefer to go to that!!!  :-D

From memory, the (C) 3,600 seats were eye-bleeding, so I'd probably go for the middle-range (B) 4,900 like last time.
Well, if you guys are serious, then lemme know names & confirm if Sun 28th is ok for you guys. I have to pay for your tickets myself first & I need confirmed numbers.

---EDIT--- just realised Sat 27th I have school festival, so Sunday 28th it'll have to be.

Current Attendees(8):
Karen + 3
Adam
Rachel
Taneque
Kendra

not sures:
Amanda M
Jenka??
Miguel
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:43:13 AM by kazza »
I'm too lazy to drive aaaaaall the way to the yosh for parfait anymore - need the triad to come back & drive me

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 11:13:42 AM »
Bump! I have to pay today!!

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 11:21:15 AM »
Ok. I want in.

Can you buy my ticket and i will pay you back at the table qwuiz or something? (i dont know if I will see you before then)

BTW, 28th is good for me. as are those 4,900 tickets.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:24:03 AM by the-mig »

Offline lilypad

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • I'm a dust bunny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 11:37:05 AM »
I'll have to pass this time around.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 12:12:42 PM »
thanks...confirmed numbers for Sunday 28th Sept =10
Karen plus 4 (Alice, Chiharu, Jo & Jeff), Kendra, Rachel, Adam, Miguel & Taneque.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 01:24:46 PM »
as far as I remember there are always tickets withheld for morning sale--you just have to line up before 8...
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 01:34:10 PM »
as far as I remember there are always tickets withheld for morning sale--you just have to line up before 8...
I know, but its a pain in the bum to get there that early! I booked 10 tix so I'm paying for 'em this arvo after school.

Offline Tegan

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 01:21:52 PM »
ah man! I finally get access to Yeti and I find out I missed out on getting tickets to sumo!! bummer =( 
Is there anyway to join the group still?
OR is anyone else, with knowledge of buying these tickets ( i am japanese illterate) want to help a girl out?
I want to get two tickets for Sunday the 28th also. It would be great if I could meet up with you guys somehow. 
Please let me know!

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2008, 03:02:28 PM »
ah man! I finally get access to Yeti and I find out I missed out on getting tickets to sumo!! bummer =( 
Is there anyway to join the group still?
OR is anyone else, with knowledge of buying these tickets ( i am japanese illterate) want to help a girl out?
I want to get two tickets for Sunday the 28th also. It would be great if I could meet up with you guys somehow. 
Please let me know!

Sorry!!!  The advance tickets for Sumo are already sold out!  You can still make it, if you queue up at the stadium early in the morning.  The box office opens at 8:20am but because its finals day, there may be a few people waiting - i.e. get there early (maybe 7!!).  There are 350 general admission tickets available and its cheap at 2,100yen each.  One ticket per person so both of you have to be there. I'd suggest that you guys go to Tokyo for the night to play, bunk out somewhere cheap like Sakura  http://www.sakura-hotel.co.jp/
and then rock up the next morning early.   

Otherwise, the next Tokyo tournament is in January - ticket sales begin 6th December   http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/nittei_hyo/index.html#2009

The rest is info only for people who are going with me:
For the other people who have tickets from me, the following are the travel arrangements, unless you have other plans.
I will also be holding on to your tickets so let me know if you want to make your own way there and I'll give you your ticket early.

Train leaves Isawa at 10:16am and arrives at Ryogoku at 12:55am  (2hrs 39mins - change at Takao and Ochanomizu Sobu line) costings 2,210yen.
B.Y.O. bentou & snacks or you can have lunch there when you get there! There are heaps of fast food places, restaurants around there as well as combinis.
Kendra, can you make your way to Isawa station and catch the train with Taneque, Adam & Rachel?

Miguel, I think it might be better/faster if you caught the bus from the yosh? Ask your yosh crew.
Otherwise, catch 9:56am from Fujiyoshida, change at Otsuki to the Chuo line, then change at Takao, then again at Ochanomizu (Sobu line) to get to Ryogoku 13:20pm (3hrs24mins) costing 2,440yen.

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2008, 03:14:14 PM »
I7m gonna line up early and see if I can get the morning tickets...it' sthe last day, so I might be outta luck.  Still if someone drops out, I'd  be interested in bying the ticket!
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 10:41:27 AM »
Hi guys, just a reminder that Sumo's on this Sunday.
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/honbasho_joho/tokyo.html

Mig, we'll see you there!!!
Everybody else, let's aim to catch the 10:16am train from Isawa and arrives at Ryogoku at 12:55am  (2hrs 39mins - change at Takao and Ochanomizu Sobu line) costings 2,210yen.  The bus is actually a tiny bit of a pain...  BYO bentou to munch on the train!   :-D
Lemme know if you wanna get there earlier...so I can give you your tickets early??

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »
Doesnt it start at like 8:30am? Or is the first part just inane crap?

I will probably meet you at the ryogoku station around 12.55 then? Just so that we go in together.

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 11:58:10 AM »
Don't worry, Mig, the matches don't get interesting until you've had time to get a good buzz.  For an Irishman, you will still have a decent amount of time to acheive that.  Probably.
There.  Now everything goes together.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 12:46:11 PM »
Is "to get a good buzz" a euphamism for shitfaced?

Offline Avacado

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 12:49:47 PM »
Sure is.
There.  Now everything goes together.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 12:53:30 PM »
Excellent!

I am happily reassured now then :D

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
Doesnt it start at like 8:30am? Or is the first part just inane crap?

I will probably meet you at the ryogoku station around 12.55 then? Just so that we go in together.

ditto wot Jamie sed... Last time we got there around then (well, actually we arrived earlier but we ended up eating there).  Plenty of time to drink and watch.  :-)

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 09:53:02 AM »
Thanks for organising that Kazza.

It was really cool (even if i did show up almost two hours late through a series of unfortunate events) and im well happy i went.  :mrgreen:

Offline kazza

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 09:38:19 AM »
Thanks for organising that Kazza.

It was really cool (even if i did show up almost two hours late through a series of unfortunate events) and im well happy i went.  :mrgreen:
No worries mate...I was happily getting tanked the whole day. Long live combini beer/chuhai runs!!!   :roll: