Author Topic: 3v3 Gaijin Smash!  (Read 5699 times)

Offline Jamesu

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
3v3 Gaijin Smash!
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »
So Daniel, Taurean, Laurence, and myself will be competing in a massive 3v3 basketball tournament at Kose Sports park this saturday.  Come watch our team, Gaijin Smash, try to win one for the Allies (we are representing Canada, USA, and AUS)....  

Games start around 930-1000... formal schedule will only be announced after registration at 9...  Also if we win, icecream for everyone... if we lose nothing... cuz like my momma always said, "ice creams are like hugs.... they're for winners."

For the thousands of fans who can't make it to cheer us on, but want to follow the action anyway, leave your keitai email address and I will keep you posted...  that or if want to come for a later game but arent sure if we will still be playing (what no faith?)  I can email you and let you know when our next game is or if we washed out...

also, Taurean may or may not be doing his best Dr. J impression complete with ball hugging shorts :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 08:28:32 AM by Jamesu »
A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
Re: 3v3 Gaijin Smash!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:04:43 PM »
if he is goin with a drj theme i demand and afro wig!

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
Are you playing tiddlywinks?  :roll:

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
When is it scheduled to finish? I'd like to come watch.

Offline Damniel

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 01:37:35 PM »
Depending on how many teams show up on Saturday (some registered teams might back out for some reason), the whole thing will end between 3 and 4pm according to the official tournament info.
Canada, Taiwan, Japan, USA, Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, South Africa and couting..

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »
My judo's just been cancelled for the foreseeable future so I should be able to make this all day. Ganbatte ne!

Offline Jamesu

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:06:35 PM »
Just to update everyone that is curious:

We started the tournament on a bad note losing our first game by 3 points.  It was a back and forth game and ultimately came down to the other team being more agressive.  They converted three 3 point plays by making the basket and a free throw on top of getting another point off of free throws... both teams shot a high percentage, so these 4 points proved the difference in the game...

After dropping the first game we knew we needed that team to lose for us to have a chance to get into the elimination round... unfortunately the other two teams in our group were terrible... both of our teams easily handled the remaining competition...

we hoped to claim one of the two wild card spots through virtue of our record and the fact that we had a really good scoring differential... unfortunately instead of using logic,  the organizers decided to let any team that lost enter into a drawing for the last two spots... as a consequence 2 teams that had 1 win between them made it to the finals while we cracked open a nice  bottle of bitterness...

Overall we played well, had fun, and met some pretty cool people... Also Daniel took second in the three point shooting contest and I took 3rd in the free throw shooting contest... all in all a great day, though not what we had hoped for.  Special thanks to our super fan Shaheen who biked the whole way there to cheer us on with his postiveness and his rocky quotes...

Offline Jamesu

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 05:10:36 PM »
also, the team we lost to took third...  and probably the best thing that happened on the day was that Taurean may have found a J girl to help him end his streak of bad luck... with any luck we will never have to read another one of his notes complaining about japanese girls...

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 06:11:57 PM »
it would have been nice to finish better but i had a good day anyway so i dont really care.

the 'team shaq' crew, 'back channel' and everyone else for that matter were fun, even that 'volcano' team we drilled gave us all drinks

and goodluck mr t!
she seems to be a cool girl so dont mess up and make us 'pity the fool' lol

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 06:46:31 PM »
james u get sunburnt?
i haven't been burnt for years with aussie-no-ozone layer-sun but i just noticed i am looking rather lobster-ish :S

Offline littlefreeze

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Awww... good job guys!!  I wish I could have made it out but I woke up at like 10 today.... sorry.

Offline Jamesu

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 07:03:43 PM »
james u get sunburnt?

yeah, didnt notice it till I was in the shower, the hot water hit my pink arms and I screamed like micheal jackson in that pepsi commercial...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:05:32 PM by Jamesu »

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • I like big butts and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 12:35:24 AM »

with any luck we will never have to read another one of his notes complaining about japanese girls...

I sure hope so!

Offline taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 01:14:42 AM »
I think the only thing I'm really going to get out that afternoon is this really sore ankle I'll be nursing for at least a week.

The girl is nice and all (likes basketball and hip-hop music), but I don't think she's my type  :|
-TB

Offline People's Republic of Yamanashi Officer for Internal Affairs

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Yamanashi bloc
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »
The girl is nice and all (likes basketball and hip-hop music), but I don't think she's my type  :|

beggars cant be choosers!
FOR THE GLORIOUS PROTECTION OF YAMANASHI

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »

beggars cant be choosers!

sure they can!!! They can still choose who to beg to...

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 01:09:35 PM »
Which gal was it? The one who was talking to us for most of the day from Team Shaq? She was nice :) Nice catch!

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »
yeh that's the one

i already knew one of the team shaq guys and after he intro'd her to me they said how COOO0OL taurean is so i called him over lol

Offline taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »
If you guys are interested, she told me that her basketball club meets at Nirasaki High School on Wednesdays and Fridays.  There could even be the possibility of us joining their club.  I'm thinking about joining their B-ball club.  Of course they're not as good as that "Backwater" team, but a couple foreigners could move them towards a little more respectability. 

Of course, it'll be at least another week or two before I can go out and play.  My ankle isn't healing as fast as I'd like, but I might go out and watch this week. 
-TB

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 03:19:44 PM »
Wish I could but I won't make weds or fridays sorry

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:07 PM »
i'm already training with my club on wed/fri but if we dont have training sometime i might try n tag along or something.

the nirasaki team isn't bad. while my team had injuries and played terrible, nirasaki beat us at kose 2 weeks ago

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
just out of curiosity, how was the officiating in the tournament.  How did they call fouls and violations, particularly travel?  Did they make the "crab dribble" legal?

Offline taurean

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 04:03:39 PM »
As usual, the foreigners did not get many foul calls.  I made no visit to the free throw line, but then again, I took (and made) a lot of jump shots.  In our first game, the refs were making ridiculous calls in the other team's favor.  I think were it not for the foul calls, we would have won that first game.  There several 2 point plays (we were counting one's as 1 point and threes as 2 points) that resulted from made shots and foul calls.  It basically put "Backwater" over the edge as we lost only by three points.  If they had not called those lame fouls, we'd have won that game. 

I didn't notice many "Hibachi-like" travel moves by the players in the tournament.  Leads me to believe that Sawada-sensei was bullshitting about the so-called "international rules."  But I noticed that they allowed girls and young kids to get away with minor travels.  Most of the refs were fair and good with the exception of our first game and a female ref who seemed to be totally blind-- missed a blatant travel call among other missed calls. 
-TB

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
I took (and made) a lot of jump shots.

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Yes, I think sawada-sensei is full of shit when it comes to "hibachis" five step move into the lane.  If that's not travel, I don't know what is...

Offline The Captain of

• BANNED
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 05:06:57 PM »
Amen. I missed the first game but saw those afterwards. The position the refs were standing in meant they missed a lot of calls. They were ridiculous when it came to spotting double dribbling. It was most enfuriating when watching the natives playing one another as it went to show that it wasn't just bias against gaijin but just general crappy reffing.

As part of the tournament it meant that a girls made 1 more point for every shot they made too which was hilarious considering there was an amazing all-girl team there just hammering home points, making 3 point shots for 4 each time.

Had it been a football match in Glasgow the refs might just have been dodging thrown coins and bottles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:09:00 PM by Shaheen »

Offline LozZz

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2009, 05:57:08 PM »
yeah despite a few disputable calls in the first game and overlooking the girl double dribbling every posession in the second game it was good.

but i also noticed that #1 guy on the black team doing all the and1 moves didn't get any travel calls...but in many cases they let that kinda stuff slide in these comps
i cant wait for future comps, it was a good day

Offline Twinkling Dookie

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
so basically the team that beat you guys deserved the win?