Author Topic: Word construction  (Read 784 times)

Offline Long bearded Josh

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • I'm Long Bearded Josh, & This is my personal text
    • View Profile
    • http://www.elimeyer.com/josh
Word construction
« on: March 10, 2006, 10:16:50 AM »
When I was a child I had an Educational computer program with this game. It was a lot of fun and after coming to Japan, I used it with a private student. The following game was taken from "Garfield's double dare"

# of players/teams:
If you are doing this in a full sized class then it is probably best to do this in groups and have the groups compete with each other. If you are in a small class or club with only a few people then you can have individual students compete. For a one-on-one situation, you can compete against your student.

How to play:
Students are given a bank 4 or 5 random consonants and random 2 vowels. Using these letters they need to construct words in a given amount of time. The person/ group with the most words wins the round.

Making the game more challenging:
You can make the game more challenging by restricting students to words using no less than 2/3/4 (etc.) letters.
You can also limit them to using each letter only once. In this case, you might want to have the possibility of a letter appearing more than once when you randomly choose the letters. (example; consonants R, J, S, D, L, D, note that the students have two "D's" they can use.)
Go Dumples!