Author Topic: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!  (Read 92458 times)

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
Re: That fun get a Japanese Driver's License game!
« Reply #540 on: May 07, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
So this may seem like a dumb question...but it's not in the guide so I thought I'd ask.
I'm planning to get some of the practice with the driving instructors, and I know have to the call them (with the numbers conveniently in the guide)...but what do I say to try schedule it, since my Japanese isn't particularly impressive yet?
Since all the numbers are different are those like personal cell phones, or business (which is in part why I'm unsure what to say?

If you go into the practice center, which is right next door to the driving center, you can request an English speaking tutor.  If you call that center, or have someone call that center you can request an English speaking tutor...

Offline J.R.R.

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 07, 2013, 01:08:32 PM »
So this may seem like a dumb question...but it's not in the guide so I thought I'd ask.
I'm planning to get some of the practice with the driving instructors, and I know have to the call them (with the numbers conveniently in the guide)...but what do I say to try schedule it, since my Japanese isn't particularly impressive yet?
Since all the numbers are different are those like personal cell phones, or business (which is in part why I'm unsure what to say?

If you go into the practice center, which is right next door to the driving center, you can request an English speaking tutor.  If you call that center, or have someone call that center you can request an English speaking tutor...

Do you happen to still have their number, since I'm guessing its not the tutors themselves #s or the driving center's #?

Offline Coleman

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Where's the chocolate banana stand??
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 07, 2013, 02:34:44 PM »
I never had the number. I went there and spoke with them. They gave me the number for an English speaking tutor. I think he was Brazilian. But that was over three years ago. I can't remember.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: May 07, 2013, 03:25:20 PM »
You can certainly check for the English tutor.  I was told there were none available when I went.  I actually had my Japanese tutor call and make the appointment for me at the time.  It was a matter of a few minutes for her, whereas it would have taken me 30 min or more with the Japanese I had at that time.
Michiko, your tutor or im sure even Yamada would gladly do it for you if you don't feel confident calling to make an appointment. 

Even with my level of Japanese now, I still don't have confidence when it comes to making phone calls in Japanese even though its usually fine. 

Once you get to the actual appointment itself, your Japanese will be fine.  There's not anything complicated and everything is super easy to understand.  I dont know anyone who had trouble.  Also, the instructors listed in the guide have all taught foreigners in the past so are used to dealing with our strange ways :)

Offline J.R.R.

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: May 07, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »
Thanks guys for your help!

Offline jDub

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 14, 2013, 10:56:58 PM »
So does anyone know how they handle cases where someones vision is really poor in one eye? I have 20/20 vision in one eye, but I'm essentially blind in the other. In the states, they just kind of ignore it, but it's the kind of thing I could see them getting bothered about here. Does anyone know if they will try to make me go see an optometrist or something? Should I do this in advance it doesn't slow down the process?

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »
I am pretty sure that they will not let you proceed until you have glasses for your bad eye. I am pretty sure that the test is for both eyes.

Offline LIY

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 14, 2013, 11:27:49 PM »
I have the same problem.  I'm 20/25 in one eye and 20/200 in the other.  They made me take the test twice, but didn't require me to wear glasses.  I believe you need a combined score of 20/40 or better to pass the vision test.  As long as you are able to see the peripheral lights, you should be OK. 

Offline jDub

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 15, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »
Good to know! Thanks.

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 11, 2013, 05:20:32 PM »
So, I've got my interview on the 24th, and I've been busy trying to get all my documents together before I go in. This might be a silly question, but for people who might have brought in a college transcript to prove that they were living in the U.S. after they get their license, did you bring in an official transcript, and do you think it would be okay if I brought in my academic record (with classes and dates and all that) instead? I realized as I was looking at the process to get an official transcript from my school that it would be ridiculously expensive (for a piece of paper!!) and might not get here in time, anyway, and I'm also wondering if the people in the interview would even be able to tell the difference between something official and unofficial. I'm already going through the process to get my driving record, which should prove that I was in the States a lot better than a transcript (I got my license in 2003 but started college in 2006). My parents are also faxing me my W2s from last year.

Also, for those who mailed in their stuff to the JAF (license translating place), how long did it take to get everything sent back? I'd rather mail everything since I'd have to take nenkyuu to go there in person, but if it takes longer than a week for the translation to get to me, I guess I'll have to take a day off. :(
How do you feel about people who go ''Hadouken!''

Offline Terranasaurus Rex

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
  • Cad é sin do'n té sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 11, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »
I had both an unofficial transcript and a copy of an official transcript and they wanted more. I moaned a little about it being expensive to get an official transcript (though it was already a concession, considering they wanted to see my ORIGINAL DIPLOMA. HAH.)

Basically, my Board of Education provided some kind of official stamped document saying that they were required to have the original transcript in order to hire me, and that they did hire me, so the copy of the official was indeed legitimate.
Students of mine involved in traffic accidents:

Since April 2013: 1
In 2012/13: 8

Offline Pnut

• Administrator
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 11, 2013, 05:58:01 PM »
Personally, I had a copy of my driving record (which they gave me a little hell for only being a 5-year record, but they eventually accepted it) and an unofficial transcript.  Obviously, though, this isn't the case for everyone, and I think it depends a lot on who is interviewing you, and maybe the way the wind is blowing that day.  Also, my JAF translation came back in less than a week.  No guarantees, but if you mail it ASAP, I think you should probably have it by the 24th.

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 11, 2013, 07:12:44 PM »
So, I've got my interview on the 24th, and I've been busy trying to get all my documents together before I go in. This might be a silly question, but for people who might have brought in a college transcript to prove that they were living in the U.S. after they get their license, did you bring in an official transcript, and do you think it would be okay if I brought in my academic record (with classes and dates and all that) instead? I realized as I was looking at the process to get an official transcript from my school that it would be ridiculously expensive (for a piece of paper!!) and might not get here in time, anyway, and I'm also wondering if the people in the interview would even be able to tell the difference between something official and unofficial.

Whatever you use just make sure it is stamped. I think that they would accept a cardboard cereal box top if it had an official-looking stamp on it.

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2013, 10:32:14 AM »
I grit my teeth and ordered my official transcript yesterday, so I'm just gonna hope that FedEx will get it here fast enough. Still no driving record, so if it doesn't come in time and I'm screwed, it'll be my own fault for taking so long to get on this crazy process.  :oops:

I'm gonna play it safe and go to JAF next week to get my license translated. I might just be tired and lazy, but does anyone have a direct link to the translation application form? I followed the link from the YETI driving guide and couldn't find the app on that page, so then I looked for a bit on the Japanese page and was overwhelmed by all that kanji (it's too early, dammit!).

EDIT: Never mind-- found it! :D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:34:51 AM by kelloggs »

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
I wouldn't worry so much about it, I think I started the whole process in July and I still made it in time.  ^-^

I didn't have my official transcript either, but my BOE had the files from when they hired me and my transcript was in there. Like Conor said, my supervisor just put an official-looking stamp on it with the seal from the head of the BOE and the people at the driving office accepted it and didn't even look at it closely even. lol..

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2013, 11:54:06 AM »
Thanks, Brittany. That makes me feel better. *happy sigh*

I didn't even think about asking the BoE for my transcript-- d'oh! I might get a copy from them just in case. Should I e-mail Jeremy/Aimee about that?

Offline buriko

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 13, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
I asked my city hall but since you're at high school I would ask your supervisor first, they might have all of your forms from your JET application at your school even.

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 13, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for a week or so reading as many of the posts as my eyes can handle (there were quite a few!)  All really helpful info btw!

I have a question for anyone who might know the answer.  Why are folks including their college transcripts with their paperwork for the interview part of getting a license?  I can get my driving records online very easily for Emily and I because that is the only way that they can be obtained in Texas and our licenses both have the issue date printed on them.  We both were in the US three months after it was issued and can be cross verified with our visas.  Do you guys think we'll need to get the college transcripts?  I know it might fall under the, 'well it can't hurt' category but it is a big pain and takes quite a bit of time to get them over here so if I can verify some piece of data they are looking for in another fashion that would be great.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
Why are they including them? Because they are the easiest way to prove that you were in the states for 3 months after getting your licence.

In your case, perhaps you could get an official looking cereal box top letter with a stamp on it from a previous employer and the payslips to prove it?

An alternative would be to see if the embassy can pull up your immigration records and show when you entered/left the country.
New Zealanders can ask for this from the NZ embassy in Beijing.
http://www.nzembassy.com/japan/new-zealanders-overseas/living-japan/international-driving-permits-obtaining-japanese-driver-l (scroll to the bottom)

Perhaps the US embassy would able to do the same?

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:33:00 PM by fred »

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:11 PM »
Why are they including them? Because they are the easiest way to prove that you were in the states for 3 months.

In your case, perhaps you could get an official looking cereal box top letter with a stamp on it from a previous employer and the payslips to prove it?

An alternative would be to see if the embassy can pull up your immigration records and show when you entered/left the country.
http://www.nzembassy.com/japan/new-zealanders-overseas/living-japan/international-driving-permits-obtaining-japanese-driver-l (scroll to the bottom)

I can't believe it.  I actually had the foresight to pack an extra official sealed college transcript when I came over to Japan last year.  Thanks past self! 

I also found a copy I made of my official college transcript that I sent with my JET application last year. 

Score!

(I'll probably bring my marriage license too, just to overload them with documents)

Offline aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 13, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
Why are they including them? Because they are the easiest way to prove that you were in the states for 3 months [as long as this was after you acquired your driving license].

..In case there are people in a situation that need that clarification. Is that right?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 02:30:56 PM by aMandarinAlmond »

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 13, 2013, 02:34:29 PM »
Amanda -  You are right. I've edited my comment to reflect that.

Andy - Nice. That saves a lot of hassle for you, but they can still be anal about it. Nothing surprises me anymore.

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 13, 2013, 03:19:33 PM »
Why are they including them? Because they are the easiest way to prove that you were in the states for 3 months.

I can't believe it.  I actually had the foresight to pack an extra official sealed college transcript when I came over to Japan last year.  Thanks past self! 

I also found a copy I made of my official college transcript that I sent with my JET application last year. 

Score!

(I'll probably bring my marriage license too, just to overload them with documents)

That's a really good idea, Andy. I think I'll have to do that, myself. Sounds like shoving as many official documents as you can down their throats is the way to go!

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 13, 2013, 04:53:17 PM »
Yeah, marriage licenses will do the trick too I bet. They just want proof that you were in the states for the time that you had your license, and want to make sure you didn't get your license by going to a foreign country and buying one there. This is while they'll pore over all of the stamps in your passport to reconstruct the last dozen years of your life if possible.

The really funny thing for me is that I actually did go to foreign countries for a hell of a long time but they didn't give me any grief about that period because I was traveling on a government passport. They only gave me trouble about the actual time when I WAS living in the states.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 13, 2013, 04:59:57 PM »
But if they really hate their lives that day, they may take one look at your "proof" and proclaim "This isn't Japanese! I can't read this!" and promptly toss it aside. 

That's what happened to me, haha. Fortunately, I still managed to "pass" the interview.

Offline andypj1

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »
Couple of quick questions about the application for translation of the DL.

1) Proxy.  We used my wife's supervisor.  Does that sound about right?

2) Name and address.  Last first middle, first middle last?  What's a good rule of thumb for that over here?  We always get a bit confused on that point when felling out forms.

3) Should we write our information (address) in English or in Kanji?

Thanks!

Offline J.R.R.

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 14, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »
Couple of quick questions about the application for translation of the DL.

1) Proxy.  We used my wife's supervisor.  Does that sound about right?

2) Name and address.  Last first middle, first middle last?  What's a good rule of thumb for that over here?  We always get a bit confused on that point when felling out forms.

3) Should we write our information (address) in English or in Kanji?

Thanks!

1. That seems about right. I don't remember needing one though.
2. Thats how it usually goes. If you are unsure, put it in the order it is on your gajin card since thats what they'll be checking.
3. You can write it in Romaji.

This is the easiest part of the whole process though, so don't sweat it to much.
Edited: would help if I notice its for the translation.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:44:35 PM by J.R.R. »

Offline kelloggs

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 18, 2013, 05:16:50 PM »
So, I'm filling out the JAF application to get my driver's license translated, and I'm not sure what to answer for the question, ''Did you stay in the issuing country for at least 3 months in total after you obtained your current license?'' I brought my then-current license over with me to Japan, but it expired in January and I had it renewed last month, so I now have the old and the new version in my wallet. Obviously, I haven't been in the States since I've gotten my renewed license, so do I put ''No''? Or do I say ''Yes'' since I was living in the U.S. for years after I received my original driver's license? I just don't want the people in charge to think I'm lying and that I got some street vendor in Thailand to make me a (very well-done) forgery. I did the license renewal by mail, so I can bring in a copy of the online payment receipt, if that helps.

Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 18, 2013, 05:32:06 PM »
Yes would be the right answer here.

Offline aMandarinAlmond

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 18, 2013, 05:35:27 PM »
So, I'm filling out the JAF application to get my driver's license translated, and I'm not sure what to answer for the question, ''Did you stay in the issuing country for at least 3 months in total after you obtained your current license?'' I brought my then-current license over with me to Japan, but it expired in January and I had it renewed last month, so I now have the old and the new version in my wallet. Obviously, I haven't been in the States since I've gotten my renewed license, so do I put ''No''? Or do I say ''Yes'' since I was living in the U.S. for years after I received my original driver's license? I just don't want the people in charge to think I'm lying and that I got some street vendor in Thailand to make me a (very well-done) forgery. I did the license renewal by mail, so I can bring in a copy of the online payment receipt, if that helps.

Sorry in advance if this question has been asked before.

I'm in a similar position, but my license hadn't expired yet (it actually expires three days after my license interview). Figuring they might be suspicious, I was just going to bring both my old and renewed licenses since they have the old issue date and new expiration date, respectively.  I got my renewed license after I did the translation though. Now, they might tell me that I need to have my new license translated and throw a kink into everything...

By "current" though, I would believe they mean the state of licensure rather than the physical possession of the current card, so I would still say "yes" bottom-line.

Do you know if you can have both of your licenses translated at the same time for the same fee? I would do both so they can't say one or the other has information they don't understand. At this point though, 3 days out, I was just going to risk going in with only one translated and my new one not.

Edit: My answer was long-winded and minutes too late! haha
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 05:37:29 PM by aMandarinAlmond »