Author Topic: Quick English Warm-up Activities  (Read 9145 times)

Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Quick English Warm-up Activities
« on: December 08, 2010, 08:00:57 AM »
Every class, I'm given a quick 10-15 minutes to do different warm-up activities with the students.  In the past, I was told only to do the question line game (kids stand, need to answer different questions to win the right to sit down again), but since my kids are completely non-genki, I've slowly started using different activities to get the kids active. 
I end up spending a lot of time looking through the internet for different ideas, and so thought to appeal to you guys for your favourite warm-up games. 

:-)
Stop questioning society, foreigner.

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Re: Quick English Warm-up Activities
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »
Yeah, that game is novel to a certain extent, but then the same kids get caught out every week.
How about....

1) Make a quiz about a world fact and give them either T/F or A/B/C
i.e The bell in Big ben is heavier that the student body of the School True/False
The bell in Big ben is A) lighter than the student body
                             B) Same weight
                             C) Heavier than

and they actually have to go to a corner of the room designated with the choice

B) Then explain some info or history behind the fact.

You get 10-15mins. Jesus, that is a lot of time to fill up.

Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:45:57 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Fred.  Tried a version of your game (Canada-centric) for 2/3nensei.  They found it really interesting.

Other warm up games I have tried:

Shiritori
Boggle
Sentence and conversation unscramble

fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
Boggle - I am not sure how you play it, but I have never found a way of making it short. The checking side of it takes forever.
Shiritori -  I have played this a few different ways, but I sometimes tell the kids that any word 7 letters or more is worth 2 points. After a few times, the groups have different strategies of short words and speed vs long words and longer time.
Also, I choose the letter at random at times or even a different start letter per group.
I think Em does some other warm ups for her kids.

KimM.

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
  • Offline Offline
  • thanks for the pic, Jen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:48:09 AM »
My kids like the sentence unscramble game.  I put the words on thick paper, divide them into groups, and then have them take turns looking at the words.  They then have to remember them until I have shown all the words and tell them to "Wake up, and start."  Then they write them down on a large sheet of paper and try to unscramble the sentence before I call time.  All of the groups' papers are then put on the board and we go over them.

Other options include dictation/write an answer to a question, T/F questions, and practice conversations - like giving directions off a map.
Reach for the stars!

Rabid Bear

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »
Some other warm-up games.  Again, Junior High Level

My kids love hangman, but after that stupid article in the paper, I've been asked to change it.  I still play it, but make the person into a cockroach or alien.  Or you could do the classic man slowly being eaten by a shark.

Hot seat: This can be done in teams or solo for the small classes.  One or two people stand in the front facing their classmates.  Write words or phrases on the board behind them.  Classmates give hints or answer questions to help the people guess what is written.  When the person gets it, they can sit down (if playing with two people at front, the loser has to stay standing up front until they guess one of the words/phrases in the next few turns).

Categories: Everyone stands up, you name a category (ex Fruit), people take turns saying different fruits.  When someone can't think of another English fruit, they are out (sit down), and you change the catergory and start again.