Author Topic: Cheap ways to travel from Japan? Cheap places to go?  (Read 5561 times)

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Messaging error # 1204950.30430
    • View Profile
Cheap ways to travel from Japan? Cheap places to go?
« on: February 13, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »
India seems to be pretty expensive in the end.  It's farther than I thought (by plane), I have to pay tons for a visa, and blah blah.  Has anyone cheaply traveled asia from here?  I know about Korea being cheap (because it's next door), but I am not sure what my best options are for a extremely budgeted yet fun vacation.  If there are any good ideas, thank you!

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap ways to travel from Japan? Cheap places to go?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02:11 PM »
I went to Thailand very cheaply.  Try some packages, there might be some last minute deals for march.
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:02:56 PM »
Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Philippians, Malaysia, South Korea can all be done for 6-9 man for a week.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Philippians, Malaysia, South Korea can all be done for 6-9 man for a week.

Pretty much this. Sri Lanka, Indonesia too. Last time I checked, Vietnam required applying for a visa before departure, the others are all avaible at the airport.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:50:53 PM »
You can do a postal visa, cost about 3000 i think, for Viet... Or you can go to the embassy in Tokyo and get it done quickly for a bit cheaper, maybe 2000.  Mig and I did this two years ago.  Just google travel forums that go to these places and you'll be able to plan a trip down to the last yen.  Making reservations with hotels using a skype line or google chat line is also advisable.  I hate doing things online and never speaking to anyone.  Plus, if you call them and talk to them the price is usually lower than an internet deal.  My favorite place in Vietnam was Hoi An.  I would go back there and chill for a week anytime.  Nice beaches, cheap suits, good beer and you can rent mopeds and travel inland for next to nothing.  Mig and I did this as well.  So, I would go there if I were you.

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Messaging error # 1204950.30430
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
Thanks.  I'm considering the options now.  They all sound pretty great.  Vietnam sounds pretty cool.  Never thought of going there before really but sure it's a paradise for cheap bastards like me.  Really appreciated! 

Offline The Notorious M.I.G.

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 03:14:59 PM »
You can do a postal visa, cost about 3000 i think, for Viet... Or you can go to the embassy in Tokyo and get it done quickly for a bit cheaper, maybe 2000.  Mig and I did this two years ago.  Just google travel forums that go to these places and you'll be able to plan a trip down to the last yen.  Making reservations with hotels using a skype line or google chat line is also advisable.  I hate doing things online and never speaking to anyone.  Plus, if you call them and talk to them the price is usually lower than an internet deal.  My favorite place in Vietnam was Hoi An.  I would go back there and chill for a week anytime.  Nice beaches, cheap suits, good beer and you can rent mopeds and travel inland for next to nothing.  Mig and I did this as well.  So, I would go there if I were you.

Agreed.
Concilium Slaccorum ad Victoriam!

"WTF you guys?!?! It was funny to ME!" - Erik

Taisetsu na mono protect my balls!

I live vicariously through myself.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • Matt Clough Illustration
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:18 PM »
On this topic, who has had experience travelling to China?  Would you recommend it?  Is it expensive?  I want to do a food tour of China in the near future.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:53:18 PM »
Go to Macao... Gamble until you're either broke or rich...

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:05 PM »
Go to Macao... Gamble until you're either broke or rich...

With my luck at gambling, it would most likely be the former.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
you never know till you try...

Offline junou

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 10:09:44 PM »
On this topic, who has had experience travelling to China?  Would you recommend it?  Is it expensive?  I want to do a food tour of China in the near future.

The visa for US citizens is kind of expensive (15000 for single/multiple entry) but once you are in and traveling a bit away from Beijing, food and hostels are relatively inexpensive. I did 2 weeks in the winter (Shanghai,Xian, Lijiang, Guiling, Yangshuo, and Hong Kong) and 2 weeks in summer (Fuzhou, Wuyishan, Beijing,Tianjin, Hohhot) and don't remember paying more than 10-15USD/night for a private room in a hostel (except in HK).

if you want info about food in particular in any of the places I've been, I can give you a run down of what I ate. :)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
The trouble with China is its just too big and our holidays are so limited. :(

Cambodia is well up on my list though. Thailand tentatively too.
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 04:28:30 PM »
if you want info about food in particular in any of the places I've been, I can give you a run down of what I ate. :)

Yes, please give me the run down.  I am really interested in China's food.  At first I was thinking of hitting Sichuan province because I am a spice lover, and from there visiting Tibet since it's relatively close, but then I thought it might be interesting to sample the myriad flavors of China.  Maybe I'll film myself and solicit one of the Discovery/BBC networks for a food travel show (my dream).

Offline junou

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »

Yes, please give me the run down.  I am really interested in China's food.  At first I was thinking of hitting Sichuan province because I am a spice lover, and from there visiting Tibet since it's relatively close, but then I thought it might be interesting to sample the myriad flavors of China.  Maybe I'll film myself and solicit one of the Discovery/BBC networks for a food travel show (my dream).

I'll try and keep this short...

I really like Fuzhou/Hokkien style food, lots of pork and seafood, and dishes with five spice and red rice wine yeast. Lots of fried food and soups. If I had to pick only one cuisine, this would be it.

All I remember about Wuyishan food is that I felt like I ate half the endangered species list in one meal.

Lijiang's food was okay, it was interesting to try the Naxi ethnic minority cuisine, but I think I've reached my limit on how much yak I want to consume in my lifetime. Good peanut and ginger candy.

The Uighur and Chinese food in Xian, like lamb skewers with lots of cumin and spices and hot pot with sichuan pepper, was really good even when I stopped being able to feel anything on my tongue due to the pepper. The Muslim quarter there is awesome for street food.

I was not a fan of most of food I had in Beijing. I think I tend to like food with stronger flavors, and found Beijing food kind of bland and a little boring. Did try Peking duck, but i think it would have been better to spend 50$ elsewhere. Had great vegetarian food that looks like meat there though.

Shanghai was great for dumplings and bao, so was Tianjin.

Guilin has great rice noodle soup for cheap and good seafood dishes.

Hohhot is a interesting mix of Mongolian/Chinese/Hui food. There is a lot of sheep and sheep related food, like whole roasted sheep, which is good. Salty milk tea which I never really liked. Awesome yogurt and loved the Hui (Muslim) food.

Hong Kong is a dim sum lover's paradise. Also shrimp wonton noodle soup, century egg and pork rice porridge, and chinese desserts (mango everything).

Macau has great Portuguese fusion food, and really freaking good egg tarts. Seriously went to Macau a 2nd time to eat more egg tarts and portuguese style clams in garlic and tomato sauce.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:57:48 PM »
Sorry, I think I hijacked this thread, but I've been thinking about China for a while and haven't asked anyone about it yet.

I've heard lots of countries in Asia outside of Japan actually have some decent English skills.  Did you have much trouble with communication in China?

Offline junou

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 12:48:36 AM »
Sorry, I think I hijacked this thread, but I've been thinking about China for a while and haven't asked anyone about it yet.

I've heard lots of countries in Asia outside of Japan actually have some decent English skills.  Did you have much trouble with communication in China?

I didn't have any major trouble getting around, since I booked all our flights/hostels online, and hostel staff had great English for the most part.
I do speak conversational Mandarin Chinese though, and there were a couple times where being able to communicate made things easier/cheaper, but nothing insane. I think if you are going to major tourist destinations, you should be alright. Shanghai and Beijing in particular have acceptable English signage, and you should have very little problems using only English in HK, if at all.

Offline mattclough

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 09:39:27 AM »
I do speak conversational Mandarin Chinese though

womp womp...

Offline kchew

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:21 AM »
Shanghai was great for dumplings and bao, so was Tianjin.

Guilin has great rice noodle soup for cheap and good seafood dishes.

Hohhot is a interesting mix of Mongolian/Chinese/Hui food. There is a lot of sheep and sheep related food, like whole roasted sheep, which is good. Salty milk tea which I never really liked. Awesome yogurt and loved the Hui (Muslim) food.

Hong Kong is a dim sum lover's paradise. Also shrimp wonton noodle soup, century egg and pork rice porridge, and chinese desserts (mango everything).

Macau has great Portuguese fusion food, and really freaking good egg tarts. Seriously went to Macau a 2nd time to eat more egg tarts and portuguese style clams in garlic and tomato sauce.

I want to go to China just for food now!
:D

Offline junou

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 10:50:31 PM »
I do speak conversational Mandarin Chinese though

womp womp...

I think you would be fine as long as you did some research before you went, and maybe learn to read and say some basic phrases/food words.

Offline Likachu

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »

If you're thinking of China, I would recommend going to Taiwan. Smaller than China so it's easier to get around, and most things are centered around its capital, Taipei. Plus, the FOOD is SOOoo~ yummy!! =D There's lots to do/see in Taipei...you've GOT to try the street foods, they're cheap and really good! I went to Shilin night market, which is close to the National Palace Museum (also a must-see. It'll take an entire day since they have so much on display!). Both informations for Shilin night market and National Palace Museum can be found at the link below (Shilin).

There are two cities up north of Taipei that I recommend, both a day's travel away from the capital. One is Danshui (aka Tamsui), a nice area by the ocean, and Jiufen, which is an old mining town and popular tourist destination. Jiufen has alot of cute shops that you can look into as well as buying food.

I stayed with my friend in Taiwan, so I spent 0 on lodging but about 5-man on flights and an additional 3man on food, omiyage, transportation,etc. I THINK.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Taipei/Shilin#b
http://wikitravel.org/en/Danshui#b
http://wikitravel.org/en/Jiufen#b

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 04:06:00 PM »
Man, if you're going to go to Taiwan, get out of the cities after a day or two (all you'll need anyway really) and get down to Hualien on the east coast. Rent yourself a scooter, and go up and down the coast along the Cingshui cliffs.

And then inland up the Taroko gorge.

Hualien and the surrounding areas were easily the best part of my trip to Taiwan, I loved the place.