Author Topic: Tokyo trains....  (Read 1015 times)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Tokyo trains....
« on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
I'm wondering  if anyone has a clue about the way the chuo express in Tokyo works.
Once I got on it and it was some sort of special commuter rapid which was...just fast as hell. Skipped a bazillion stations and got me to Takao really really fast.
Usually though....I never see this train and have to take a generic rapid train which....skips a few early on but then gives up and becomes normal.

WHen do special ones run anyone?
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline Khaleesi

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • rock lobster! No! ROCK PIGEON!
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyo trains....
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:24:33 PM »
the trains usually say on the side: local express or rapid express :|
i am the wife of the great Khal Drogo.

Offline TiffanyK

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • ♬♩♫
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:23:18 AM »
Nice! Thanks Fred :)

These Special Rapid trains are more often than I thought they'd be.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:34:45 AM by TiffanyK »
明日は明日の風が吹く。

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 08:33:16 AM »
To keep it basic, you take a blue, or Chou Sen, train to Takao, and then an Orange, or rapid, train from Takao to Shinjuku.  To come back from Shinjuku to Takao you must wait for the Rapid on the "Ripid Line" platform in Shinjuku.  So, just look for the orange line again.  I think its platform 9-10.  Anyways, blue to orange to Shinjuku and orange to blue from Shinjuku.  This worked for me when I was unsure.  And, Hyperdia is your best friend.  Always available on a smart-phone.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 09:10:53 AM »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline shneen

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »
A lot of the commuter rapids only run close to rush hour.  I think Hyperdia's English is a little vague for the type of trains... it lists both the Special Rapid (中央特快) and the Commuter rapids (通勤快速 or 通勤特快) as "Special Rapid Service".... if you're okay with the kanji for where you're going, the Japanese sites will always list what type of train it is.   I don't know if hyperdia has the time tables for each station, but you can also check those to see which types of trains run when... (like this..... http://transit.loco.yahoo.co.jp/station/time/22741/?q=shinjuku&gid=1091)

Or just take the Keio Line from Takao to Shinjuku... which takes the same amount of time and is a little cheaper than JR ^^ Sometimes it requires an extra transfer in Kitano, though.

Offline Yamanashi PA

• PA
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:01 AM »
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/deptime.html?dep_node=TAKAO%28TOKYO%29&arv_node=SHINJUKU%28JR%29&search_target=deptime&diagram=3561&year=2012&month=2&day=28&searchday=20120228

Here are all the trains running from Takao to Shinjuku on this current timetable.  It could change, but usually not by much.  So, if you get to Takao this would be all of your available connections.  In reality, you don't really even have to check.  Just jump on a train to Takao, switch trains (blue to orange) as there is one waiting to leave 90 % of the time when you arrive in Takao, and head into Shinjuku.  Its really not complicated at all.