Author Topic: Health Insurance  (Read 581 times)

Offline Mister.J

• Teacher
  • Ltn. Wolf
  • Work Hard and Be NIce to People
    • View Profile
Health Insurance
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:34:20 PM »
So here's the dilly YO!

I need to get my wisdom teeth pulled.

Id like to pay for it as cheaply as possible.  However, the Dentist told me since its in the back of my mouth (Jaw Area) 9th tooth to be exact.  I have to go to the Hospital for a special surgery.   I hear the cost for it will be around 50-60 thousand yen.  Which is doable if i save money NOW.

However, if I sign up for insurance its FREE.   BUT if i sign up for it I cant cancel it unless I die, I leave japan.  And the costs for NHI is cheap for the first year but its hella expensive the second year.  I only have to pay 25,000 this year but next year they say its upwards to 250,000 -300,000 yen.

So does anybody have any NON-NHI Insurance?  Any reccomendations?

Any Advice?
Pay for the surgery myself and skip NHI (national health insurance)

Any advice, info, suggestions is appreciated =)
I'm an okay mechanic with a GED.  The only thing I've ever been good at is be an outlaw.

Offline fred

• Fred
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate YETI Gibbon
    • View Profile
Re: Health Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 11:47:48 AM »
I am no expert on this matter, but the cost of 250,000 a year sounds about right for your second year. I believe this is called koukumin hoken/nenkin or something like that.

Does your company not offer shakai hoken? Although it is still going to cost the same (as your company will also contribute), it gives you NHI and pensions contributions. You can claim the pension contributions back when you leave Japan (upto 3 years AFAIK) or transfer them over to your countries pension system if there is a bilateral agreement in place. A minefield to ask about and consider.

As for non-NHI, would they not ask about pre-existing conditions?

Personally, I am on the shakai hoken system and have no idea what is out there in terms of non-NHI but I am sure that there are others out there who can tell you about the plans they are on.