Author Topic: Who has been to Niigata, Gunma, and or Saitama?  (Read 1142 times)

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
  • Messaging error # 1204950.30430
    • View Profile
Who has been to Niigata, Gunma, and or Saitama?
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
For a "day" station, which of these three places sounds the most exciting or fun?  --(traveling by train)
THANK!

Offline NickyB

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
Re: Who has been to Niigata, Gunma, and or Saitama?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:06:58 PM »
Niigata has some mountain locations worth seeing but the best thing is Sadogashima. It's an island off the coast of Niigata. Problem is that going there would be more than a day stop.

Gunma has at least one cute temple that I've been to. It's the Daruma temple. It's covered with small daruma carvings/statues. Other than that the main city is nice however I haven't done much else there.

Saitama has Costco... I'm sure it's got lots more but I rarely get passed there when I go through.
I am the very model of a modern Major-General
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical

Offline Gman776

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
    • The Dump Stat - My DnD Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
I'm in Saitama all the time.  It's pretty much just a generic scaled down verson of anything you get in Tokyo... my wife's brother lives in Gunma.  It's fairly pretty (or so I have heard). 

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Saitama is just a less-desirable part of Tokyo. Seem to be some interesting things there, I hear the railway museum is rather cool even for non-train geeks (never been) and I want to go to Hachigata and Kawagoe someday but otherwise...yeah. What I've seen wasn't spectacular. Its just day trip stuff, not what holidays are made of.

Gunma I've been to but not really seen anything touristy. Am planning to do a little bit of that at the end of the month (just because I'm passing through anyway).

Niigata seems weird, total split between the south west and the north east and Sado. Never been and its on my eventually list though nothing there really has me excited.

How about Tochigi? It has Nikko.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:46:06 AM by OxO »
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 01:53:12 PM »
Thank you all!  I have considered all of your thoughts in my searching and it came down to the fact that the weekend (the same weekend as FujiRock) is literally booked up.  Like every hotel with a reasonable price (not just the super cheap but also the moderate) have been completely booked up in Niigata and the most of the seemingly interesting/train reachable parts of Gunma...  And downtown Saitama too. haha!  Didn't realize that people would be coming in heaves to Fujirock...  Thanks very much for the advice.  I will consider it next time I get a chance to go that direction :)

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline nixonlee

• Teacher
  • Captain Kangaroo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
http://wikitravel.org/en/Urban_camping_in_Japan
YES!!!  I will never spend a dime again when staying out!  If it's not raining tonight, maybe I should just stay at the castle!  PARTY!!!!

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 04:00:48 PM »
http://wikitravel.org/en/Urban_camping_in_Japan
YES!!!  I will never spend a dime again when staying out!  If it's not raining tonight, maybe I should just stay at the castle!  PARTY!!!!

In all seriousness, that's what I'm doing tonight. Though I'm doing that because I'm trying to get some  photos of the sunrise over the mountains. Please don't rain or be cloudy tomorrow morning!
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Offline OxO

• Teacher
  • Sasquatch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 04:08:37 PM »
Hope you've doused yourselves in lemon juice or....whatever it is you do to scare mosquitos away (seriously I wanna know, woke up in the night with one buzzing right by my ear. Hard to sleep some nights becase of them).
毒食らわば皿まで

Offline MCAS

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
Well, it's not so much going to be sleeping as more sitting around drinking waiting for dawn. It's a practice run for Haneda in a week and half.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.