Author Topic: Autumn Rafting October 13th  (Read 2492 times)

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
Autumn Rafting October 13th
« on: September 10, 2012, 11:23:17 AM »
This is it, this is the big one, the biggest of the ... BIGGEST!

All day, full course rafting (includes rock jumping, waterfall climbing & enjoying being outside with some awesome people. I'm also making a small lunch to enjoy on the water)
BBQ (BYO meat & booze)
Camp (possibly including music in the form of a DJ)

Let's go rafting on the Fuji river at Shibakawa. We'll meet before 9 at Utsubuna station for those from the north and around 9:30 at Fujikawa station for those from the south, start around 10 do a full day rafting with a break on the river for sub sandwiches (that's home made giant subs, if you're gluten intolerant let me know).
6500 yen for a FULL DAY and a SUB! Also included is insurance, life jacket helmet and if you want, a wetsuit wrist to ankle so you don't need to worry about the cold (shoe rental is 200 extra but you probably don't need them).

If you're interested please get back to me with the following by October 6th (basically we book guides and boats according to groups of 6 or 7, so if you wait we might not be able to get another boat and guide of course earlier is better):

1 How will you be getting to Fujikawa? (Car, Utsubuna Station and riding, or Fujikawa Station) The base is about 5 mins north of the Fujikawa Rakuza
2 Do you want to partake in delicious subs (sub types will be advertised later)?
3 Wet suit size and do you think you need shoes?
4 Will you be camping and do you need gear?
5 Sunday is completely optional but for those with nothing better to do and want to keep the adventure alive would you like do bouldering in Fuji city (I believe the gym is around 1500yen), Onsen (U trio has a mixed onsen with bathers I think it was 500yen), or do something else ...

Attending
1 Tara
2 Nobuko
3 Nobuko +1
4 Wataru
5 Abby
MAYBE
6 Alecia
7 Lica
8 Rosie
9 Kazu
15-21
22-28
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:26:44 AM by taralea »

Offline Raychel

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
Re: Autumn Rafting October 13th
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:58:38 AM »
Count me in. Is there a specific email address we need to RSVP to or is this fine?

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:27:30 PM »
keep in mind that this is the same weekend as the amazing Paul Rusch festival up in Kiyosato...

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Hi Raychel,

This is the event on Facebook, I tend to just organise through that http://www.facebook.com/events/404227469626064/
Let me know

1 How will you be getting to Fujikawa? (Car, Utsubuna Station and riding, or Fujikawa Station) The base is about 5 mins north of the Fujikawa Rakuza
2 Do you want to partake in delicious subs (sub types will be advertised later)?
3 Wet suit size and do you think you need shoes?
4 Will you be camping and do you need gear?
5 Sunday is completely optional but for those with nothing better to do and want to keep the adventure alive would you like do bouldering in Fuji city (I believe the gym is around 1500yen), Onsen (U trio has a mixed onsen with bathers I think it was 500yen), or do something else ...

keep in mind that this is the same weekend as the amazing Paul Rusch festival up in Kiyosato...

Hi Croninokehige, the Paul Rusch festival is on both days, people don't have to stay the second day or camp if they don't want to. Why not make it a super fun filled weekend and do both?

Offline Croninokehige

• Teacher
  • Woolly Mammoth
  • The King in the West
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:11 PM »

Hi Croninokehige, the Paul Rusch festival is on both days, people don't have to stay the second day or camp if they don't want to. Why not make it a super fun filled weekend and do both?

It is indeed on both days, but the majority of people like to go to the first day because a)things wrap up earlier on the Sunday than on the Saturday, and b) those who want to partake of the fabulous Touchdown beer on offer will have to deal with working the next day.

I'm not trying to pull people away from your event, Tara, and I think anyone interested in rafting should go for it! I'm just making sure that people who might not be aware of the schedule of things (like Raychel, since she's a first year) have all the facts before they make any sort of commitment.

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
No problem, I wasn't aware how big the festival was, I know Lica said she couldn't come last year or this year because of it.
I'd thought of offering to drive up there on Sunday because I love Kiyosato (hiking, nature, art and macro cafe) but I just looked up the details and I don't eat meat and I don't drink beer and I'm not from America so it doesn't hold a lot of interest for me. Sorry  :oops:

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 04:51:33 PM »
I talked to Rachel and she said she was more interested in rafting than Paul Rusch.  She said that she has already talked to some people and may let them stay at her house even though she won't be there.  Anyone else who wants to stay at her place will have to ask her directly as she may only want people who she knows personally to stay there since she won't be there.

Offline karta

• Teacher
  • Gen. Gorilla
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
No problem, I wasn't aware how big the festival was, I know Lica said she couldn't come last year or this year because of it.
I'd thought of offering to drive up there on Sunday because I love Kiyosato (hiking, nature, art and macro cafe) but I just looked up the details and I don't eat meat and I don't drink beer and I'm not from America so it doesn't hold a lot of interest for me. Sorry  :oops:

I'm guessing you just looked at my post and nothing else because the reality is that there is much more to offer than that, but I can only write so much at once and I wrote what most people would be interested in.  (I edited it lest people think that it's only beer and meat)

There is actually some food catered towards vegetarians there as well as a gigantic salad bar. 
There is also a huge crafts area that has both Kentuckian and Yamanashi crafts, some people from Kentucky will be there to demonstrate (and let you try your hand at) making jewelry, brooms and chairs. There's  both folk dancing and traditional Japanese dancing, picnic concert time, drum circle, etc.

This is more detailed information including a full itinerary (Japanese):
http://www.keep.or.jp/ja/prf/201201.html
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 05:05:37 PM by karta »

Offline mondai

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
    • evidence based EFL
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 04:51:25 AM »
Sounds good!

Offline katnz

• Teacher
  • Noobie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 03:25:35 PM »
Hey this sounds awesome if we're not too late there's four more who are keen :)

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 11:21:06 AM »
Awesome!
If you could email your details to taralea1511@hotmail.com I'll confirm with you there or you could add yourself of FB
http://www.facebook.com/events/404227469626064/

I'm going to send everyone emails on Tuesday night confirming attendance and making arrangements for food.
For Sunday I was thinking of heading up to Fuji Go Ko for onsen at Izumi no Yu the and then Solar Cafe for the most amazing pizzas in Japan.

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
Body count ... Attendance now stands at 15 possibly 18, Mondai are you coming?

Offline taralea

• Teacher
  • Turtle Face
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »
I just want to thank the Yamanashi people again for coming down. It was such a great day, the weather couldn't have been better, and I was so glad to meet you all.

I can't wait for next summer you are all welcome to come down for bbqs on the river, there are two nice spots where we can BBQ near the first jump or the last.

I hope we can meet up for snowboarding this winter, last year I spent a lot of time in Hakuba so this year I really want to try a lot of different ski fields.

Also let's go canyoning and rafting in the spring melt next year.

For anyone who was interested but didn't come, next year I was thinking of not doing this event but this weekend was so great I think I will try to time the first event with the fireflies down where we camped.